Alex Smith....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by mezzavo, Jan 28, 2013.

1. NFL

NFL Active Member

I really think that if Alex Smith was given the choice to choose where to be traded, or just sign with a team, and the Jets made him an offer but told him that he would have to compete, he would quickly turn us down. He doesn't want to compete for a job, I'm sure he knows that he's mediocre himself and wants the job handed to him.

Yes, I'm saying that I think Sanchez would beat him out.

2. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I would prefer McElroy to get the chance to start. However Smith would be the ideal stopgap QB until we draft our next QB.

3. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I don't want to spend too much of my own time thinking and talking about Smith. But I do think a couple of things.

First of all, Smith is a subtantially better Qb than Sanchez.

Second, that does not mean the Jets would likely win a SB with him.

Third, I have selfish reasons for the 13 season to see Sanchez gone. Meaning I don't want to see him behind center for another down in a Jet uniform. So if there is some kind of trade that replaces Sanchez for Smith, i owuld be for that, without any expectations in the short run that Smith would bring an SB to the Jets.

Fourth, whoever starts at Qb in 13, and that includes most other "reasonable" prospects, I don't see any as likely to bring the Jets an SB. That would have to be some future draft pick.

4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Obviously, you didn't think much into this at all. Smith is worse than Mark Sanchez. Smith is the product of great coaching, but with major physical and mental limitations. Sanchez is mentally fragile, but Sanchez with confidence is a better QB.

2-25 when the San Francisco 49ers have allowed at least 24 points. That is an awful statistic.

I'm not a Mark Sanchez fan, so before you reply (if you do) don't put me in that boat.

I cannot believe people want to pay this man starter money for one season of complete crap. Just stick with Mark (I know it's tough on you to do this) and we'll be much better off when we draft a QB in 2014.

you can take a break from the Jets for one season if it means that much to you.

5. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Are you Jerry Senfeld, or George Carlin?

So the guy that averaged two TDs a game, under the worst OC in football...,should be gone setting the organization back several more years, like the Gholston pick did.

What a joke.

6. The 1985er

It would be foolish if ANY Jets fans enter the 2013 season thinking we are a super bowl contender. This is gonna be a transitional season, it's all about fixing our cap issues and developing young talent for the future.

I don't want to see Sanchez starting for the Jets either and Smith would be an upgrade, but the problem is (and you already know this) the 49ers are going to try and trade Smith first, the Jets can't afford to give up any draft picks PERIOD no matter if its a 6th or 7th round pick. Also nobody is gonna trade for Mark Sanchez, so he'll be on the roster next season.

So we better hope that we have a terrible season next year and hope to get the next great QB that we can build our team around and can eventually get us to a SB and win it.

7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

You are referring to the 2011 season. You have to be either hammered drunk or blind to be encouraged by Sanchez in that season. Holy shit.

I don't care if Sanchez had a chimpanzee as an offensive coordinator, he should still be taking better care of the ball. Give me a break.

You constantly OVERestimate coaching. At this level, above all, its the players that win games. Certainly there are small segments of elite coaches that can make players look a little better, and vice versa, but the majority of coaches that make it to the NFL are at a similar level and rely on solid players to get the job done. This isn't high school football.

If you are waiting for a great coach to rescue Sanchez, you are going to be waiting for a long time. Maybe the Jets haven't done the best job cultivating Sanchez, but even if he had the great Bill Walsh working with him, he'd still probably only be an average NFL QB, as that's his ceiling.

I'm not a fan of Alex Smith or some of the scrubs brought up on this board too, but right now I'd settle for a QB that can at least protect the football. For whatever reason, Sanchez can't get that through his head.

8. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Ok. Fair enough.

Tiki Barber once upon a time couldn't protect the football, simple question...how was that fixed?

9. The 1985er

but Tiki Barber was overall a really good RB. Sanchez is a really bad QB. THAT is the difference, so basically what i'm saying is that Sanchez didn't do anything positive at a consistent level.

10. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

Smith isn't a world beater, but worse than Sanchez? Really? Come on m an.

11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

The situations are not AT ALL similar.

Barber's problem wasn't as much based on decision making, awareness, presence, accuracy, etc. etc. that Mark Sanchez struggles with. Tiki's problem was less glaring and easier to pinpoint, he wasn't holding/protecting the ball right.

His problems were easier to identify, easier to fix and while they were able to limit his fumbles, he STILL fumbled the ball to a degree. He never went an NFL season without fumbling the ball.

NOT at all similar.

12. TurkJetFan

correct....there is a difference in solving a simple mechanical issue then solving someones mental toughness, and ability to make decisions.

13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The problem with bringing Alex Smith in is that there's maybe a 5% chance he can do anything positive with the talent levels around him. He's going to be a more cautious version of Mark Sanchez and the results will be the same, we'll just get a bunch more 3 and outs and fewer turnovers in the process. That's field position we're talking about, not control of the ball.

14. 101GangGreen101

Alex Smith is a fraud. He's had some great coaching, yet he's nothing more than a game manager with limited upside. He won't win you any games, but at the same time he won't lose you any either.

I hate playing what if games, but the coaching Alex received, what if Mark received the same coaching from Harbaugh and Norv instead of Sparano and Schottenheimer? I think we would see a different QB out there. If I had a choice between Smith and Sanchez on the 49ers with the same roster, I would take Sanchez because he proved he could win in the post-season. That said, Mark has regressed to the point where he needs to be removed from the Jets, he's a lost cause. Mark's cooked.

A better version of McElroy. No turnovers but a shit-ton of sacks. He won't help us get to the promised land, and it's a waste of time to even bring him here. Save that money and put it to good use.

TO ADD - I'm convinced we won't be a good team next year, I'm no darksider, but if we take this hit to the face for 2 seasons, we can come out looking good in 2014.

#114 101GangGreen101, Jan 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  15. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I get that Sanchez sucks (I have been voicing that opinion myself for quite a while now) and you hate that fuck too, but this is so wrong. The only QB substantially worse than Sanchez in the NFL is Alex Smith. Not the other way around. Harbaugh resurrected Alex Smith, and even then he benched Smith at the first chance. Take a clue.

16. The 1985er

Is this hyperbole? I watched a lot of 9er games the last 3 or 4 years and Smith showed gradual improvement every year since 09. Sanchez regressed after his 2nd season.

17. 101GangGreen101

He's been in the league for 7 seasons, the coaching staff masked his inefficiencies and they came out full force during the NFCCG against the Giants. He is not the answer at the QB position. He has an issue getting the football to his WRs and he doesn't have the arm strength you want in a QB.

Look at Crabtree and what he's done since Kaep came in. It's no coincidence that Alex Smith at one point was benched. The only improvement was the skill players around him and the improvement of coaching. Alex Smith is still Alex Smith, and you would see that here in NY.

18. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

We disagree yet again. Shocking.

19. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Yes. That is the point. Last few years. Like I said, Harbaugh worked wonder with Alex Smith. He did make chicken salad out of chicken shit. But Alex Smith is still the chicken shit that he is. When the chance presented itself, Harbaugh didn't wait another second to bench Smith this season for a reason.

Alex Smith during Singletary years? He'd make Sanchez look better. (And Alex Smith was #1 overall pick too.)

20. TurkJetFan

That right there may be true. He won't win or lose you a game. However Sanchez WILL lose you a game making Alex Smith better than Sanchez.

Unless of course you believe Sanchez has proven capable.