My biggest Jets diappointment

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KyleJetfan, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

This. I still get disappointed thinking about that game. When the Falcons won, I could see the Jets winning the superbowl. I wasnt as disappointed with Rex because I never felt as sure about those teams as I did the 98 team.

Second most had to be Parcells leaving after 1999. It felt like unfinished business with Vinny being injured. Then fucking Belichick quits...arrrg.

2. PaPZ187

PaPZ187 Member

EDIT: losing 4 of the last 5 to blow a prime.opportunity at making a playoff run in 08 with Mangini, Favre and Jenkins was devastating as hell......definitely on the list.

Sent from my LG-P999

3. spinjani

spinjani Member

Maybe it's just me, but the one that I remember most is the fake spike. One of my earliest Jet memories...I think that's what instilled some SOJness in me. After that you expect the Jets to break your heart.

4. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

People mention 86 and 04 but the Jets probably would have lost to Denver and New England respectively in the AFC championship game anyway.

Then there was 98, 09, and 10 the jets lost to better teams plain and simple.

To me 2008 was the most disappointing year. We finally had ourselves a good qb, the defense was good and the offense was putting up points. then favre gets hurt, which killed our championship hopes. what made that season disappointing for me was that 2008 was a weak year overall and any team could have had a realistic shot at winning the super bowl. imo we were the best team until bret got hurt.

5. sbx213

sbx213 New Member

The 1999 afccg in Denver. I remember my friend who jumped on the Falcons bandwagon during the season. He wouldn't shut up about Chris chandler and jamal anderson saying how great they are. When the falcons won because Vikings' Anderson missed his first kick all year I actually jumped with excitement. There was NO way they were beating the Broncos or Jets. All I kept saying was "win this game just win this game." I know you shouldn't get ahead of yourself but I wasn't the only one so confident that the Jets had their shot at winning the whole thing if they got past Denver. And next year in Week 1 Vinny goes down... Ughhh....

6. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Biggest disappointment was the Belichik coach for a day mess. He left us and went to a division foe. That was a cluster.

The buttfumble was a indictment of our HC, yet he still remains.

I try to forget that's how I cope.

7. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

Mud owl 82, sucked the most for me. We killed Cinncinati at their place, went to the hated Raiders and won a close one that maybe we should have lost. Then Shula lets the rain pour on the field to neutralize our speed on offense with his "Killer Bees" which couldn't guard our passing game or contain the shifty McNeil! Then Richard Todd scars me forever by throwing the ball to the other team 4 times! When Aj Duhe ran one back making it 14-0 a piece of me died. I'm sure everyone has heard what Adam Sandler calls our team? The GD Jets, this is where it began. I've got many sports illustrated mags covering the 1980's, and this one is hard to look at! Not sure if we could have beat Washington in the Super Bowl, but we should have beaten the fins.

8. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Rich Kotite.

9. lamont_jordan_rules

the list is long my friends ... the list is longggg :-(

ljr

10. jetmart

jetmart New Member

So many disappointments, you can really only presume that the good Lord decided we would be the first AFL team to win the SB and that would be our lot, with a mountain of horrors to follow, the very worst being the Kotite years. At least I live here in Scotland, at that time the web wasn't widespread, so was able to shut myself off during these years.

11. no psls

no psls Banned

This one hurt the most - never looked at Gastineau the same after that game :sad::sad::sad:

12. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

2004 Pittsburgh AFC Divisional round game.

In 2009 I traveled to Indianapolis for the AFCCG and I was just happy to be there - what a wild ride it was - and even though the loss hurt, it still was a really fun season and one that was not expected. Kind of similar to '98 - it sucked losing, but that type of season wasn't expected. Then, in 2010, I never felt like we were as good as many of you fine people and others made us out to be. We won so many games on pure luck and once they beat the Patriots, even though I was happy about it, I knew they were done. They treated it like it was a Super Bowl victory. Did I see 24-0 before coming back on bullshit defense by Pittsburgh? No. But I knew we would not win and thus did not travel to Pittsburgh that year. In 2004, with Chad back fully healthy, I expected to compete for a Super Bowl after the year we had in 2002. 2004 was a huge disappointment and ever since that game I haven't been the same Jet fan. I use to be Mr. Positivity, and since then ... Never again.

13. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

How long have you been a fan? Because you are one spoiled Jet fan if this is your biggest disappointment, especially over the AFCCG against the Steelers.

14. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

The AFC title game against Denver. That '98 Jets team was the best Jets team I've seen. 12 wins, aan extremely rare division title, a bye week in the playoffs. I was at the game that year when they smashed Atlanta (although if I recall, the Falcons starting QB was out). They were definitely the 2nd best team in the NFL that year.

The Mudbowl would be 2nd. Despite the conditions, they could have won that game with good effort. Todd absolutely shit the bed.

15. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Gee whiz I would think your greatest disappointment was not winning the SB since 01/12/69 :sad:

16. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Yeah I heard the MudBowl was brutal. I was only 6 at the time so I don't remember the game but that's gotta be right up there. Todd really did post Sanchezian awful numbers in that game.

17. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

32 years and the hits keep coming

18. Ben Had

Ben Had Active Member

Ahhh the mud bowl...as a fin fan its one of my fonder memories. I was at sea in the navy when it was being played. I went up to the flight deck and sat in one of our jets and listened to it on aircraft radio. Love the "killer Bees"!

Fake spike is also one of my favorite Marino moments:beer:

19. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

1998-1999. The AFCCG in Denver. Up by 10 in the middle of the third quarter, despite the turnovers in the first half, we thought we had it. More turnovers and mistakes gave Denver 20 points before the 3rd was even over. I remember it, even as an 8 year old. My dad took me to the Jags Wildcard game. Best Jets TEAM (yes, TEAM, great together) in a long time.
    Then Vinny getting hurt the following year, after we were proclaimed Super Bowl favorites, was a HUGE blow.

2004. Doug freakin' Brien. Need I say more? I wasn't all that sure we would win the following week in NE, but that one hurt

2010. IMO the best team since 98 and the first year in my life I went into the season confident and said to myself "we can go to the Super Bowl." We had it. I was absolutely devastated after that Pittsburgh game. I cried. I won't lie. That whole season had magic to it. It was different than 09, 09 I didn't expect anything, and how far we went was amazing, but losing to the Colts, hurt, but I knew we lost to a better team. In 10, I expected to beat Pitt, I knew we could do it. I thought we were better and we played our asses off the first 2 playoff games. It hurt all around.

I know all about 86, Wasn't born yet, but my dad always tells me stories.

I grew up during the Kotite years, losing was expected.

Parcells made me believe, then left us during surgery. He got bored and left.

BelliCHEAT, well.. FUCK HIM.

20. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

For me it's '98. Mainly because I knew Parcells was not going to long for the job and Vinny wasn't getting younger, so I knew the door was going to be closing sooner than later on that team.

I was disappointed after the back-to-back AFC Championship games, but deep down, I knew we weren't stacked and at the time I was encouraged by Sanchez being so young and believing his upside was still on the horizon...