My biggest Jets diappointment

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KyleJetfan, Jan 29, 2013.

1. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Yep, it was a total hero move and completely unnecessary. That Jets offense was on such a roll coming into that game it was crazy.

2. MenOverGod

MenOverGod Well-Known Member

Since my memories don't begin until late 04. I remember being what 8-3 in 08 after beating the undefeated Titans and the Pats on national tv only to lose the next 5 of 6 nd only get that one win thanks to Ellis. And miss the playoffs. Of course the Samche fumble in Pitt in 2010 I still don't think it was a fumble

3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I was absolutely gonna count this as my biggest letdown but then I remembered the "Mudbowl". That's the curse of being a Jet fan for a really long time. Although Shula fucked us by not covering the field during a monsoon the night before the game for no other reason than to neutralize the Jet running game, Todd's performance was positively Sanchez like in its incompetence. I think the NFL changed the rules on that (covering the field) after the game but by then, it didn't matter to the Jets because we were already fucked w/o so much as a reach around.

#23 Cman68, Jan 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  4. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

AMEN! The words "Roughing the passer... number 99, defense" still makes my stomach sick.

Worst Draft? DeWayne Robertson. What a piece of crap.

5. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

I always felt that the '86 Browns loss was the most gut wrenching, and it still is. But looking back it retrospect, the Jets were headed on a collision course with the Giants, and if they had beaten the Browns only to lose the SB to the Giants would be very disappointing as well.

Although I didn't fell this way at the time, in retrospect, the '98 Denver loss, because, as someone here said, they would've beaten the Falcons in the SB, looms as perhaps a more disappointing loss.

I never felt, throughout the course of the '04 Steelers game, that the Jets would've won that game, so I can't really say I was disappointed. I thought they had a better chance in '10, but once they got down 24-0, it was highly unlikely they were going to win, so I can't say I was disappointed by the comeback falling short.

Surprisingly, I was very disappointed by the '11 regular season loss to the Giants, since I truly believed the Jets were better than them last season, and I was certain they were going to win. First and ten at the 50 with the running game clicking and 5 minutes to go? Not scoring then still stings.

Of course, going back to my youth, I remember sitting in the end zone in '69 as a very cold 12 year old when the Jets had first and goal at the 2, couldn't punch it in and being very disappointed as the Jets wound up losing to eventual SB champs the Chiefs.

6. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

You really need to be beaten with reeds for this.

7. jago

jago Active Member

ed reeds? lol
    i too vote the mudbowl.
    oh the horror.

8. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Ha. I'm also 38. I was at a wedding that day (but was running in to check the TV when I had a chance). I ran in to see the JETS were coming up, and saw ED REED was still available (as I thought about his big plays @ Miami, and the need @ safety for the JETS)...... "SWEET, It's a lock" and I had to run back out as the ceremony was starting...... later that evening (or was it the next morn. :drunk: ? ) I saw "BRYAN THOMAS?!?!?! WTF?!?!?!"

but hey they got Jon McGraw to fill that position in the next round :eek:hmy: :shit:

to be honest the 2010 game was my biggest disappointment. The only time in my life I REALLY thought the JETS were the better team and going to the Super Bowl. :sad: :jets:

9. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

You are mixing up years. The year that Denver hosted the AFC Championship game (and the year that Seattle got to the Superbowl) was 2005-2006. The Year of the heartbreaking AFC Divisional playoff game loss to the Steelers (Doug Brian game) was 2004-2005. If we would have won, we would have had to play the AFC Championship game in New England. I don't think we would have won, but we would have had a shot (we played VERY well up there earlier in the season)

10. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

My biggest Jets disappointment aside from boomer, is reading posts on these threads, Thanx BigBlocker:rofl2:

11. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

For me, it's painstakingly close.

Choice 1) The 1999 AFC Championship game @ Denver.

Choice 2) The 2011 AFC Championship game @ Pittsburgh

I lean towards choice 1 for two primary reasons:

A) As many others have already noted (and as I have been preaching for years), there was just no way that we weren't going to beat the Falcons in the Superbowl. When Atlanta pulled that NFC Championship game out @Minnesota, I was simply thrilled because I KNEW that the winner of the Jets/Broncos game was winning it all.

B) We dominated the first half to two thirds of the game. We moved the ball up and down the field at will. We totally shut down their high-powered offense. But we couldn't cash in on our early dominance because we committed 3 ridiculous turnovers in their territory, all in the first half, when we were in complete control and had a golden opportunity to build a big lead. Our own self-inflicted wounds and careless mistakes affirmed our own doom.

12. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

choice number one reminds me of two recent super bowl losses, coached by the same cheater who was our defensive coordinator in that game. those two recent losses also owed more to his failure to coach that side of the ball, his supposed area of expertise.:shit:

13. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

How many center snaps did Boomer fumble as a Jet QB?

14. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Damn this topic is depressing ... I was finally getting over that loss against the Steelers, 1998 was the biggest heart breaker I agree.

15. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

for me 2010 afccg against the colts. only because i was living in florida at the time and would have been able to attend. for 2 quarters i couldn't believe this was actually going to happen. then the reality of being a jet fan came crashing don on me.

draft wise:mike nugent. nuff said

16. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

The biggest disappointment was the 1998 loss to Denver because as many have mentioned the Jets would have beaten Atlanta hands down...they destroyed them 28-3 during the regular season. The game was given away...they had it. A close second would be the 2010 loss to the Steelers. Had the defense held on third down and the offense got one last shot would they have scored? We'll never know but they did have momentum....

The '86 loss to the Browns and the '04 loss to the Steelers don't really matter much to me personally because both times the Jets would not have had a chance the following week had they survived. Yes, at the time the games stung...stung really bad and still do a little. The '86 Jets were beat up...yes they did surprise the favored Browns but that was when Ryan was in the game (after he was hurt was when the offense nose-dived) they would not have won in Denver the following week and certainly would not have beaten the Giants (something else Jets fans would not be able to live down). The '04 Jets were a good team but they would not have won in Foxboro the following week...

The biggest draft disappointment......well there was so many of them really. I guess the first thing that comes to mind is the Jets in hindsight of course could have had Dan Marino (1983), Jerry Rice (1985) and Emmit Smith (1990) all on the same field. But maybe that's not a fair assessment. O'Brien was drafted for the Shea Stadium winds ( of course months later the team announces they are leaving Shea), Toon was a damm good WR himself, Thomas was a complete bust. The Cardinals screwed the Jets in the 1991 draft by refusing to deal with us because they were afraid we wanted the player they had in mind (forgot who) and didn't believe our real reason for trading up ( to jump ahead of the Falcons and take Bret Favre instead of Browning Nagle who we got stuck with). So to sum it up I can't name a single draft pick because they were alot of bad ones for different reasons....

#36 mrjet80, Jan 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  17. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I actually went to that Super Bowl Colts vs Saints. I had some extra cash and bought the tickets in December (thinking the Jets were out) figuring this was my one chance to go to a Super Bowl ( bucket list). That game was dissapointing but in the end I didn't see the Jets having enough offense to beat the Colts and they weren't going to beat the Saints either....it was just their year.

18. JUNJOBX2199

JUNJOBX2199 New Member

The biggest disappointment year was 2000. I was at two of those amazing come backs and we just had to win one of our final three . We lost them all and in that Baltimore game we have all the momentum and gave it all away. At the end the entire ravens fans did our chant and ended it with suck sucks sucks.

I was numb for days.:jets:

19. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

It's all going to turn around. All of this disappointment. The Same Old Jets Era in which a lot of you have lived through will be over very, very soon. I can feel it.

We are entering into a green and golden age. An age of...dynasty. Maybe not next year, but soon. We will laugh at these posts.

20. PaPZ187

PaPZ187 Member

I think the biggest disappointment I felt as a Jets fan in my 30 years alive was...

1. 1999 - Week 1 vs New England

Coming off Parcells 2nd season as NYJ HC, which ended in the AFCCG in Denver, the Jets were big favorites to represent the AFC in the SB as they were 30 minutes away from a SB up 10-0 in the 3rd last season, Elway just retired and Vinny was coming off a career year.

Before we got to halftime of the season opener, the season was already over due to Vinny tearing his ACL without being touched!!!! WHAT A HEART-FCKIN-BREAKING moment as a Jets fan!!!!! So damn close the year before, the only team that stood in our way of the SB last year just lost their HOF QB to retirement, Jets are coached by the best in the business.........and BAM! It's over before it even started. God I Fckin hate that moment.

Other disappointments.....

2004 Divisional at Pittsburgh

15-1 Steelers team and we had them dead left to right.....and Brien misses 2 FGs in the last 2 minutes for a chance to go to the AFCCG in New England.

1998 AGCCG at Denver

Blocked punt recovered at the one yard line, Martin takes it in for 6 following play and we're up 10-0 in the 3rd quarter on our way to a SB before a ton of turnovers closed the door to a SB.......what made it a little less painful than 99 opener was the Jets were not expected to get that far in only Parcells 2nd season, which we started the season with Glenn Foley as starting QB before Vinny replacing him.

2002 Divisional Playoff at Oakland

Lost to those bastards the season before in the WC game. Jets were coming off a 41-0 WC win at home vs Indy and Pennington was on fire. Lost to those jerk offs again......hated Oakland a lot back then.

2009 and 2010 AFCCGs

Tough. Leading at halftime in 09, thought we were going to beat Indy despite Manning throwing a TD to end the first half........coming into 10 game Pitt beat our ass the first half......down 24-0 the Jets rallied to come within 5 but couldn't get one more stop on D to give us the ball with a chance to win the game.