Alex Smith....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by mezzavo, Jan 28, 2013.

1. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Ok folks...just saw on the wire that Alex Smith is going to request his release before F.A.

Now hear me out...Alex Smith is the prototypical West Coast QB...he has done quite well when there has been a stable environment.

No way in hell that the 49'ers outright release him with 2 yrs. left on his deal...especially when Kaepernick could go down, ala RGIII, at any moment with his style of play.

Having said that let's look at two trade possibilities considering the latest news:

A. Smith to the Jets for the 49'ers 1st rd. pick and Smith in return they get Revis.

Or...if the most current news holds true...the Jets get A. Smith and we deal Cromartie...straight up.

Thoughts?

2. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

It's almost impossible to predict trades. Beside's big name players very rarely get traded for each other in the NFL, only one I can really think of was the Bailey for Portis deal between Washingston and Denver.

3. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

I like the idea and think you're onto something. But I hesitate to dangle Revis to get a guy who could hit FA anyway. I do see what you are saying though and it certainly makes sense. If I'm trading Revis I'd ask for an additional pick of some type. Alex Smith was benched and we have all the leverage in that trade. If we could get another pick in the deal or a player at a position of need for us (they are crazy deep at RB), I think it makes great sense for us.

4. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

Not saying it isn't true, but a player asking to be released (later in the year) a week before his team plays in the SB seems a little odd.

5. mezzavo

Hadn't thought of a RB to be included in the trade...I like it as well.

I just can't see the 49'ers letting him hit F.A. and get nothing. They've got $78 million in the guy with a guaranteed $6 or 7 million to him next year if he's on the roster. $1 million guaranteed after March something or other. Even though he's been the "Good Soldier" it's still a business and something is better than nothing. Agreed the Jets have some leverage. The only team needing a QB that I do not foresee being an issue is the Cardinals. No way they deal him in division. But we would have to contend with KC and the Jags for sure and possibly Cleveland.

I'd be on the phone right after the S.B. with some kind of deal out the gate. And say what you want about A. Smith...I live in the Bay Area and this kid is STILL young and has gotten a pretty raw deal...5 O.C.'s in 6 or 7 years. He's head and shoulders above Sanchez as far as accuracy etc...goes. I guess we shall see.

6. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Revis for Alex Smith better include a couple of high picks. This guy was not good until Jim Harbaugh was his coach. I just think Revis can grab us more value. I think Smith would suck here unless we added a ton of offensive talent.

7. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

yea saw this on espn he is gonna ask to be released , he fits perfectly into a West Coast system and he might be our best option

8. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

We would never trade Revis just for Alex Smith, Could you imagine though the 49ers with Revis??? they would run the league for the next 10 years. If they grant Alex Smith his release (witch would be the right thing to do) then we can take this thought off the table

9. mezzavo

Agreed...but I suspect his agent is behind this...or, and more likely, a writer speculating. And it's not a far reaching speculation. This guy was top 3 in the league when he went down...lead his team to the NFCCG last year and still has his BEST football now and ahead of him. The hack writers aren't "reaching" with this one. No way he rides the pine next year in any shape or form unless the 49'ers REALLY want to be dicks to him as he is under contract.

10. mezzavo

Not entirely true. He was pretty good with Turner...A. Smith has proven that if he has a solid O.C. he does well. He had a turnstile at O.C. for 5 straight years there...and that would suck for anybody.

11. NotSatoshiNakamoto

You're making the assumption that they'd be able to meet his salary demands for 10 years and maintain the current roster. I highly doubt that could happen unless Revis changed his priorities.

His best bet is probably to bounce around the league to top contenders who are a shut down corner away on short 2 year deals to grab as much money as he can while winning a few rings along the way. That way he doesn't have to hurt his reputation by holding out every time he wants more money.

12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Say no to Alex Smith. If he's not coming here with Harbaugh or Norv Turner, there's no reason why he would succeed here. He's really not that much better than Mark Sanchez. Don't let the statistics fool you.

13. RAMBO

RAMBO Member

No to smith I think we suck it up this year with Sanchez and wait to draft our franchise QB next year in the draft (Manziel, Bridgewater, Murray, Boyd)
    Bridgewater would be my choice

14. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

The 49'rs could offer Smith AND Kapernick for Revis and deal still wouldn't happen. Why? Because the 49'rs would NOT offer Revis a 6yr $100M contract with 90% guaranteed coming off major knee surgery which is the only trade offer Revis would sign. No team will.

Revis will take the 2013 season to work himself back into form THEN sign a 6yr $100M deal with any one of several teams not named the NY Jets.

15. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

Smith blows, please no. The guy is scared of his own shadow.

16. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

He is not gonna be released. The Niners don't give a damn @ what makes Alex Smith happy. He was a serviceable QB. Not a HOF QB like Montana. Niners aren't gonna bend over to make sure Alex Smith can leave the organization & be happy at his next destination. If you want Alex Smith then it's a trade.

For Revis: I'd rather get a 2nd & 3rd round picks or 1st & 4th round picks.
    For Cromartie: I'd rather get a 2nd rounder.

Not a fan of giving up a potential mid round pick for stopgap QB. Each pick Jets have & can acquire in the future needs to be kept. No way Jets (or any other organization) is gonna hit on all their draft picks. Just gotta keep accumulating those picks to get more chances.

I like Rex & Harbaugh but they both bring really different things to the table.

Rex:
    Has shown the ability to put a defense together no matter what. Even without a pass rush & talent in secondary instead of front 7, he'll give you a playoff caliber defense. He's managed to coach up raw defensive talent into productive players & he's taking castoffs like Maybin and gotten production. However, he has not shown any of this mad scientist genius on the offensive end. In fact, offense under Rex has been vanilla and at times ineffective.

Harbaugh:
    This guy is the QB Whisperer. If he was forced to start Kevin Kolb, the Niners would still win that division. When it comes to QB development, Harbaugh accomplishments run circles around Rex. Niners have the better D now but they've got vastly superior talent there. Rex is the better defensive mind. Doesn't matter if the system was WCO, Ground & Pound, Run & Shoot, etc ... I've got serious doubts Alex Smith can succeed without Harbaugh unless Jets can stack talent around him.

Next year, big salaries come off the cap. Draft has better/deeper QB talent. There will be better offensive cast for new/incoming QB also. GM will have a better idea how to stack talent around the new QB because he'll see the offensive system play out on the field for one season.

Right now:
    We need a stopgap QB. Grab Matt Moore, he'll be cheap & won't require any picks. If he's not available then bite the bullet & ride out the season with Sanchez/McElroy. It sucks but it's time to eat a shit sandwich when it comes to starting QB. Don't try to sugar coat the taste by sacrificing a future pick.

#16 ajax, Jan 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  17. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Kapernick's style of play is nowhere close to RGIII's. Kapernick hardly ever gets hit, and uses his speed to avoid contact.

the threat of Kapernick getting injured is the same threat for every QB in the league, not based on the reckless way RGIII plays. that isn't a reason not to trade or release Smith alone.

18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The 49ers told us what Smith's upside was like when they gave the job to Kaepernick.

Here's what I think happens if Alex Smith comes to the Jets. There'll be a lot of hoopla about a 'good' QB behind center for a change. He'll turn out to be serviceable but the dropoff in talent around him will make that serviceable look worse than it did in SF and not by a little bit either.

The Jets will lose as many games with him as they would have with Sanchez under center, just in more predictable fashion and without the agony of watching key turnovers happen at the worst times.

We've done this before. The guy's name was Neil O'Donnell. Things turned out much worse with him than they would with Smith because Kotite was the coach instead of Rex.

19. Jerseyboyisback

Jerseyboyisback New Member

If he is going to be release than you dont need to trade for him....can just sign him

20. Bill Belichdouche

Bill Belichdouche Well-Known Member

Unless the offense around him is clicking (good run game, good line, playmaking receivers, etc) he's pretty much useless.

No thank you.