Marty Mornhinweg’s Offense 101: An In-Depth Look - Article

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by fozzi58, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Mark my words, Sanchez will make strides... yeah, kick em when he's down and don't want to derail the topic but Mark had nuthing but fukin Idiots there to "Teach" him.

Guy came into the NFL as raw as you can and looks like they didn't even teach him some of the basics.

I won't be mad If he isn't the starter, I just want to win but I really believe he still has enough to be turned around with good, solid coaching.

2. Realistic Jets Fan

great article

very informative

3. Duk Dodgers

Duk Dodgers Active Member

Good read! Does sound like Greene will be a low priority this off-season given his terrible fit, never really impressed me after he had the starting job anyway. Drafting a back to team up with McKnight and Powell seems like a priority, hopefully we can find a diamond in the rough.

Hill will really need to improve in an offense that demands precision from the split end position. Hope he manages to pick up the offense. Idzik seems to crave competition, so I am looking forward to seeing whom we bring in to compete at the QB position.

Off-season optimism . . . always a fun time until the regular season brings us back to reality :)

4. JETFIGHTERS

JETFIGHTERS Active Member

I will still take a "wait and see " approach and will remain "reserved" until the Jets win an AFC Championship period, end of story. I don't care about about "moves" hires or fires, drafts, who starts, who coaches, etc...show me

5. 74

74 Well-Known Member

That's cool. but why are you posting on here then? Just to tell us all that. Gee, thanks. Talk to ya in another 2-40 years / never when we win the AFC championship.

6. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

Why even bother. Save yourself the trouble and don't come back until we win the SB. The board can seriously live without your great inputs like, "all of this means shit until they bring a VLT" home.

7. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

we need a blocking/receiving tight end with a brain, and a professional route runner.

8. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Bingo. I think we should look into signing Fred Davis. He will be cheaper than Keller and I think he's better. Comin off a significant injury but its not like Keller is a lock to be healthy anyway.

9. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

With regards to Sanchez's footwork, this use to be a strength of his. He came into the league with very good footwork and now that has deteriorated. Maybe being back in a WCO will bring that back. Improved footwork should have a positive impact in other areas (i.e., accuracy, timing...etc.).

10. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

This actually scares me quite a bit. I'm not claiming to know our WRs lack the intelligence in reading defensive coverages, but in those times where the wideouts/slot has to recognize what style of zone/coverage the defense is running and cut their routes...I can see this getting ugly for Sanchez. If not Sanchez, the new QB is gonna have to literally LIVE with his receivers if they're gonna be on the same page on the field.

11. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

That's his only saving grace.

Like I highlighted on other WCO thread (I think it was in the draft forum) the short yardage back has to excel in two other areas as well: pass blocking (Fail) and receiving out of backfield (again, big fat fail)

Greene is a goner - and that is as good as set in stone.

12. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Now that we have Sanchez under contract, Joe Montana can kiss his records good bye!!!

13. laxin

laxin Active Member

Man, my thoughts reading this article were Giovani Bernard = LeSean McCoy and Markus Wheaton = [better] DeSean Jackson in this offense. You add those two players via the draft and maybe Delanie Warker in FA, and this could be a talented offense (aside from the QB position).

Gio Bernard SCREAMS a perfect fit in this offense. His vision, burst, agility, ability to read blocks, catching ability all would be ideal here.

As far as who we currently have, I think that we still need at least 1 new starting guard. Im not sure how Howard and Ducasse translate to this offense though. Howard doesnt have the quickest feet and Ducasse isnt quick mentally. Moore is done and Slauson is nothing special... I still think we need some help there.

I think this will be perfect for Kerley and Holmes should fit this well too. I dont see Hill doing much though...

I wont get into the QB discussion...

14. laxin

laxin Active Member

But that back has have the vision, burst and agility to get to that hole while its open- all things Greene lacks. McCoy was so great in this play design because he has outstanding vision and was extremely quick to the hole.

Greene is a square peg to this offenses round hole. He's done here.

15. Tballlz63

Tballlz63 Active Member

This is off topic but I find it funny/sad that Tanny's team had Greene valued as a 1st round pick, that's the reason they gave us for trading up for him anyway. It's almost good we blew that years 2nd round pick trading up for Sanchez otherwise we would've probably drafted Greene with it. Can't catch, can't pass block, poor vision, only 1 gear, and goes down on 1st contact... Yeah that has first round grade written all over it.

16. socaljetfan

socaljetfan Active Member

I wouldn't mind having blown a second round pick on Greene (assuming we didn't need to use that pick to get Sanchez). We could have had that third and drafted Mike Wallace, or drafted Kraig Urbik and not have to worry about what to do with Vlad Ducasse. We still would have been retarded to draft Greene instead of LeSean McCoy though. We could have had Lardarius Webb and not needed to draft Kyle Wilson.

Hey, at least we didn't blow the pick on Patrick Turner, like a certain other team.

#36 socaljetfan, Jan 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  17. Tballlz63

Tballlz63 Active Member

We would've just drafted slausen in the 3rd lol...

18. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Exactly right Tee.

19. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

I may be mistaken, but didn't Shottenheimer run a zone blocking scheme, and wasn't that pointed at by many on this board as a major reason why the line was underperforming?

20. milo

milo Well-Known Member

It may have been pointed out that way but it was wrong. The line under-performed because we had zero depth there and a right tackle too stupid to learn a zone scheme (or how to tie his shoes).

Sick article by the way, thanks Foz. It's pretty rare I bookmark a sports piece but that thing is worth more than one read...especially after the pieces of this team start to take shape.