Woody told GM candidate Tebow was forced on him

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KWJetsFan, Jan 20, 2013.

?

Do you believe Woody's explanation about the Tebow Trade

Poll closed Feb 20, 2013.
  1. Yes - I believe Woody Johnson.

25 vote(s)
    23.4%
  2. No - I don't buy it for a second.

82 vote(s)
    76.6%
  1. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Exactly unless of course he was actually covering an owners ass in which case he comes off as incredibly loyal to any future owner. Owners tend to like guys who are willing to do stuff for them.

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Sundquist is a young guy who got fired more than 5 years ago. Whatever happened between him and Bowlen and Shanihan has effectively put the kibosh on his career.

3. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Exactly unless of course he was actually covering an owners ass in which case he comes off as incredibly loyal to any future owner. Take a look at Rex, he looks like an ass in public all the time. Maybe Woody likes having his underlings take it for him?

4. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I think the 2.5 million that went back to Denver was the reason he had to be convinced, if I were the owner and I was told we were giving up draft picks and money for a player I had doubts about, my management team would have to convince me that this is worth it.

I still think we are making a mountain out of a molehill, Skunkquist is the one who comes out of this looking terrible and untrustworthy.

5. Br4d

Go back and look at the 2008 timeframe. The Jets spent a lot of cash to bring in free agents as an abrupt change from what they had been doing in the Mangini era before that. I have no doubt that Woody Johnson had to be convinced to hand Mangini and Tannenbaum $100M+ to work with in that endeavor.

I think things are very confused at the moment and I think the media is in an uproar and I think lots of people are playing fast and loose as a result of that.

I have no idea who had the idea to bring Tebow in however I'm pretty sure it doesn't play out in either Woody or the Jets favor to raise the issue again when it is about to wind up on the ash heap of history with Tebow's likely release.

I'd be fine with people seeing Woody as trying to dump responsibility for the Tebow idea using a leak or other mechanism. It's certainly within the realm of possibility. The problem is that this leak doesn't do that, it just re-opens the question again and prolongs the issue instead of allowing it to die a natural death.

What makes more sense is that Sundquist wanted to monetize the interview with the Jets and the best way to do that is to make headlines that draws people to your site.

6. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Say what you want about Sundquist he is no dope. You might find his take on the Jets very enlightening. The guy knows the game and was part of 2 SB teams.

His Football educator site is pretty good. I don't think he is a liar.

7. Bill Belichdouche

Bill Belichdouche Well-Known Member

Woody will go to great ends just to scapegoat everyone except himself

How about this: don't make retarded decisions and you won't be constantly roasted.

8. Br4d

He really should be working somewhere in the NFL if that's the case. I was really surprised to see his name in the ring for the Jets because of the long absence from the game.

I doubt he was lying. I think he probably used the wrong words to convey what he meant. If Woody told him that he really had to be convinced that bringing Tebow in was a good idea, well that's a long sentence to get into a tweet. He also got a ton of hits on his twitter account and website by using a word guaranteed to draw wide coverage.

9. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Sorry I had to respond to this

Hearsay is hearsay. It doesn't matter what seems like it might be more accurate. Tebow being a Woody move = hearsay. Woody saying that Tebow was forced on him = hearsay. Neither statement has any evidence behind it whatsoever and the second we don't even know that Woody said.

Would it honestly make a bit of different to anyone on this site if the Jets came forward and denied it? People would just say they lied and would still be arguing on a website over social drama that has nothing to do with football and making false assumptions out to be facts. Who cares if the Jets public deny it or not. You act like the media is some overlord that has to be answered to and reported to at all times. Screw them. I'm happy with the Jets not saying a word.

10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I'm right with you here. I don't really care about the motive for this becoming public... although if it were an issue, this would be most likely.

Same reason for the Tebow trade to begin with. The buzz. It equals money.

11. CowboysFan

CowboysFan Banned

If only that was Jerry's motivation, living in Texas you should know its not...its Jerry's MASSIVE ego and not money but I digress...

It would concern me as a fan that Woody had to be "talked into it" when owners have to have that treatment (specifically for a 4th round pick /trade) , they are usually a track suit and a gold chain away from being the older version of Al Davis.

12. Br4d

Jerry's ego is killing the Cowboys chances to win a Super Bowl.

More minds in the process = better evaluations of talent and needs. He needs to hire a GM. Even if he's planning to over-rule him most of the time at least he gets the extra input from a good football mind.

13. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

correct, 1) you don't care about the motive for the recently rejected sundquist to suddenly start making hearsay comments and talking about his "impressions" from his failed job interview. 2) you don't care whether those hearsay comments/ "impressions" were accurate; and 3) you don't care that even if they were accurate the fact that the owner is consulted on personnel decisions is hardly noteworthy.

14. CowboysFan

CowboysFan Banned

Great response :up:

15. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I am afraid you quite simply do not know what you are talking about. I already explained the different kinds of hearsay. You can bang your head against the wall while you deny it, but there are.

16. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Ftr, there is no evidence whatsoever that Sundquist lied about what Woody said to him.

17. Realistic Jets Fan

who cares?

as long as Tebow is gone goodbye in a few weeks

that is really all that matters regarding this useless incompetent pretend qb

18. abyzmul

Hey, remember when you chastized Mangold for seeing his sister in the Olympics? Ah, the good old days.

19. abyzmul

Jerry sure has a massive ego, but nothing he ever does is unrelated to money. He's an oil man. He bleeds money.

And if anyone is beginning to resemble Al Davis, it's Jerry Jones.

20. Br4d

That's actually a great comparison although I'd say Davis was an excellent football operator until he hit his 70's. It's a long time since Jerry Jones has been an excellent football operator.