QB Possibilities (players already in the NFL)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mambo9, Jan 19, 2013.

?

Who would you prefer to have competing for the Jets starting QB job in 2013?

1. Matt Flynn

25.9%
  2. Kevin Kolb

2.7%
  3. Colt McCoy

4.1%
  4. Alex Smith

23.2%
  5. Michael Vick

6.5%
  6. Nick Foles

7.2%
  7. Trent Edwards

0.3%
  8. Kellen Clemens

2.7%
  9. Someone else please...

27.3%
  1. PuMa

PuMa Banned

Smith sounds more attractive... as for Flynn had played 2 games opposed to Smith who had started most of his career.

2. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

We have to move the needle on offense this year.
    If that 30th rank doesn't progress toward middle of the pack rank, it will likely result in a losing season.
    I don't believe any of the QB options will make us an offensive force. My more reasonable goal is a much improved, albeit average offense in '13 as we rebuild it.

I think it is essential we acquire a QB who could potentially start the whole year.
    If Sanchez shows a ton of progress and beats that guy out in camp, then great.
    But we cannot simply go into the season with Sanchez as incumbent starter, and hope his game elevates tremendously. That has too much potential to end our season on a more disasterous note than this season, and i really feel we need progress this year.

Tires need to be kicked on virtually all QB options.
    Personally, i'd add Moore to this list. There is really no way i want Vick, and Clemens and Edwards don't offer starter upside in my opinion.
    The rest should be looked at, as well as draft options in all rounds. QB has to be the biggest offseason priority.

3. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Vick seems just too problematic given the indications he has become too fragile. Otherwise I would take him, too. But if the Jets are going to replace their starting Qb and go to the trouble of bringing someone over to the Jets, get somebody who's not likely to spend significant time off the field due to injuries.

4. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

It's a bit random, but if Tyrod Taylor can be acquired cheaply, i think that he would be worth a shot. His performance would be no better than a rookie (at worst) and there's far less risk in terms of wasting a high draft pick or a contract commitment.

5. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

If he could add about 50 forward laterals, very short ones, he could. But downfield,not a chance

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

James Walker thinks Fitzpatrick might be a cap cut early on before his roster bonus is due.

It's probably unlikely that the Jets could get him to sign a cheap deal when he is cut but what if he is still out there after the draft and the Jets could get him in for about what Tebow is going to cost?

7. Realistic Jets Fan

Moore

only worthwhile FA out there

8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Fitzpatrick will for certain be cut before his bonus is due... I absolutely don't want our Jets to look his way at all, even though I can see it as a real possibility.

9. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

If the ultimate goal is winning games, I think you would have to jump at Fitz at that price provided of course there isn't anything better at the same price. It would be great for him because he would not have to play Rex's defense twice a year. Those are usually his 2 worst games each year.

10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

If the ultimate goal is winning games how would jumping at a QB that is 23-41 in his career as a starter get the Jets closer to that goal?

11. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I voted for someone else, preferably Matt Moore. He can be had cheaply and wouldn't put us in a deeper hole than we already are in.

However, if Vick did some how come to the Jets, I would not be against it. He had absolutely no offensive line this year in Philly. He got killed everytime he dropped back. If the Jets sured up their offensive line, Vick could be a decent gap stop for a few years. The price for MV7 might be to steep though.

12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He'd have to practice against them though. Now that I think about it he'll probably go just about anywhere else if he has the choice.

13. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Why do people on this board try to create arguments to argue against? I personally think Fitzaptrick is a scrub and now you are putting me in the very undesirable position of having to defend him. I very much doubt that Fitz would accumulate that same W-L record with Rex Ryan's defense on his side. Also, given that choice of the 2012 Sanchez and the 2012 Fitzpatrick, I would have to pick the latter. Lastly and more importantly, I clearly said I would do it at the referenced price and ONLY if there was no one else better at the same price. Please don't have me defend Fitz anymore, it made me physically ill responding to this.

I guess this is what junc was talking about regarding stats with no context.

14. 74

74 Well-Known Member

So Russell Wilson sucks because he doesn't throw for 350 yards a game? That's just stupid. How many shit qb's put up big yardage numbers all the time. Do you think Carson Palmer is awesome then? Fine tho, lets look at those games you mentioned..

First San Fran game: 9 for 23 with 6 easy catches that were dropped by his recievers and further incompletions because they were desperation prayer passes that didn't connect. He didnt even play that bad but statistically this was his worst game of the year against a badass 49ers defense. shame on him right. How about we talk about Lucks worst game of the season, I think it was against the Titans lol.

Second San Fran game: he threw 4 touchdown passes to start the game! Seahawks went on to rout the Niners BECAUSE of Wilson, the game was smooth sailing. That defensive score came when they were already up big. but throwing TDs in the redzone doesn't matter right.

First Arizona game: he had no pocket at all, was scrambling to get to scrimmage, and still would have pulled out the win if his recievers didn't drop 2 TD passes in a row at the end of the game. This was his first game in the NFL and he had his team in position to beat one of the best defensive teams in the league on the road. Btw, Lucks first game he threw 1 TD and got picked off 3 times vs that "average" Bears team.

Second Arizona game: 7/13 for 148 yds , didn't even play in the second half because they were already up by 40 points. how can you use this game as evidence? totally misleading, he was on pace for 300 yards in less than 30 attempts!

Jets game: seriously? They ran the ball over 40 times because our run D sucks.

So RW sucks because hes riding the run game? Whenever they need him to go pass only he still comes through. Look at the Falcons playoff game. The team got down big and had to abandon the the run game completely. The game was all on RW's arm and he responded by orchestrating an amazing comeback and giving his team a lead with 30 seconds to go, throwing for almost 400 yards!

Of course the run game and having a good defence are nice advantages, but RW is still a good qb. And it goes both ways, having that run game and D means they weren't letting him throw as much so obviously his yardage numbers are not going to be huge.

You keep saying stats don't mean shit then you come out with this yardage number b.s. Who cares! RW had 4th quarter lead taking drives in 6 regular season and 2 playoff games. He had long 4th quarter time consuming drives that extended leads in 4 other regular season games. Those are stats that matter. He's leading his team towards victory. If that's not what you want in a franchise QB then I don't know what to tell you.

#274 74, Jan 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  15. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Well-Known Member

For certain?

16. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Interesting...

Matt Flynn - QB - Seahawks
    Yahoo! Sports' Jason Cole reports teams are unwilling to trade for Matt Flynn because the expectation is the Seahawks will cut him.
    Flynn is due a very affordable $5.25 million in 2013 if a team views him as a starter, but that price seems rather steep for the Seahawks to pay him while holding the clipboard behind Russell Wilson. Flynn turns 28 in June, and Seattle would likely accept a late-round pick in exchange for him. The Jets have been mentioned as a possible landing spot.

I'd be fine with a Flynn - Sanchez - McElroy competition

17. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

I would be quite happy with that. I remember when the Packers drafted him, it was the 7th round, but they had drafted Brian Brohm in the 2nd round. That made most, myself included think of Flynn as an afterthought, but they had a competition for the backup job, and Flynn outright beat him for it. In the small sample I've seen, he hasn't looked like any type of Manning, Brees, or Rodgers....but then again he did look just like Aaron in the 2 main games he played, and only he started...

Anyway, this may go more unnoticed, but he only has 578 passes in his pro, AND college career. He is such an unknown, that putting all your hope for the future in him is simply foolish, thus making the Jets a very likely spot to sign..

Overall, I still voted for other, tho I would like to see him in green.

#277 NYJalltheway, Jan 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  18. Rex's Sweater Vest

Rex's Sweater Vest Active Member

Jamarcus Russell Wants to make a comeback, give him a shot to make the roster I say.

19. iJet

iJet Member

What about Vince Young? I know fitzpatrick was better than he was in Training Camp but... Just to compete with sanchez and gmac

20. Realistic Jets Fan

Matt Moore

1 costs less than Flynn and requires no pissing away of draft picks in a trade

2 is a better QB than Flynn by a mile havingactually started and won more than one NFL game