QB Possibilities (players already in the NFL)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mambo9, Jan 19, 2013.

?

Who would you prefer to have competing for the Jets starting QB job in 2013?

1. Matt Flynn

25.9%
  2. Kevin Kolb

2.7%
  3. Colt McCoy

4.1%
  4. Alex Smith

23.2%
  5. Michael Vick

6.5%
  6. Nick Foles

7.2%
  7. Trent Edwards

0.3%
  8. Kellen Clemens

2.7%
  9. Someone else please...

27.3%
  1. Ben Had

Ben Had Active Member

Lets see if I have this right...then explain how you will be able to afford Moore.

Jet's are over the cap by 20 million and about 20 players are free agents this offseason that doesn't count on your cap. 9 of those players were starters for you this past season. You have to cut some players to be under the cap and then sign 25+ players with. If you cut the obvious 5 players (tebow, pace, scott, etc) you will go 12 million under the cap and will need to sign 25 players with 12 million.

So...how are you going to have 4 QB's?

2. deathstar

deathstar Well-Known Member

:eek:hmy:

3. Realistic Jets Fan

Quite simple really

1. The Turnover Machine negatively affects the cap MORE if he is released than if he is allowed to rot as the inactive#53 guy on the roster for a year and then cut. He can'tplay and can't be traded

2. McElroy and the midround draft pick cost almost nothingagainst the 2013 cap

3. It will take Idzik.no more than half a day to release sufficientunderperforming deadwood (Scott Pace Thomas Pouha Tebow etc) to get the Jets sufficiently under the cap to be able to make a winning offer to Moore. And by offering him a real chance to be an NFL starter (that he still shouldn't be for Miami) there is a good chanceof getting him affordably

4. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

What happened to the Cousins talk? Can we swing some type of deal for him? Sanchez on the Redskins would be a match made in heaven.

5. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I agree with this but who knows if Idzik looks at McElroy as a realistic option

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If you were going to try to get by with McElroy for a year the WCO is a good place to be. Lots of timing patterns, mostly short throws, at least one good checkdown on almost every play. It's kind of the perfect offense for a guy who has good accuracy but not much of an arm and not much mobility.

Remember that the Jets got out to 1-7 in 2007 though, with probably the best version of McElroy possible running the show. If McElroy is the QB next year it probably means the Jets are in full-blown rebuild mode and the floor for the season might be in the basement.

#166 Br4d, Jan 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  7. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

No way the Redskins trade him after the injury to RG3

8. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

I agree 100%. He very well may be the way to go. He would be the safe, cheap option and allow us to address many other needs on the team for beyond 2013.

9. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

The reason I am saying GMAC is because I really don't see us going anywhere this year anyway. I'm sick and tired of the year-to-year bandaids and backing into the playoffs (maybe, with a little luck).

If nothing is on the table this year to speak of (QBs), we pass altogether and look at other positions. And that's not a bad thing IMO b/c we're headed nowhere anyway... sorry to say. JMO of course.

10. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I don't want to see us blow too much $ on a QB next season.
    Let's keep our eyes on 2014 and beyond.

11. Rex's Sweater Vest

Rex's Sweater Vest Active Member

Forget Vick now considering the news coming out that apparently neither Marty or Michael want to be reunited. It looks like Matt Flynn is the guy we should try to make a deal for, Schefter was on espn this morning touting Tavaris Jackson as a potential low pricetag option at QB to compete for the starting job.

I'll throw a name out there that wasn't in the poll...what about.. Vince young? any takers?

12. Br4d

A QB that would make Mark Sanchez look like he's got his shit together in comparison. I like the idea. :)

13. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

I'd take Tavaris Jackson.

14. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Jeff George

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

15. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

16. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

i like the idea of signing vince young, and he could be had for cheap and he's relatively still young

#176 The 1985er, Jan 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  17. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

If it was up to me I'd sign a cheap stop gap guy (Moore, Campbell, Tjax) AND draft a QB in the 2nd/3rd round (Nassib? Glennon?). Go into training camp with those 3 and GMac. GMac probably gets booted from that bunch.

18. laxin

laxin Active Member

I personally dont know whats with all the love for players like Alex Smith, Matt Flynn and even Mike Vick... None of them are franchise QBs. None. Matt Flynn is 28 and has started 2 games in the NFL. He's going to command draft picks and we dont have that to give up. Alex Smith is currently a back up and at his best he was average. He will command a lot of none that we dont have. Mike Vick is, aside from Sanchez, one of the most turnover prone QBs. He also can not play a full season. He's well over 30 and will command a good amount of money.

So if you dont have a franchise QB, you still have a problem. With any of these QBs, I still dont see a playoff team. I see 8-8 MAYBE... I definitely dont see a SB caliber team. So whats the point? Win an extra couple games and maybe lose out on getting ourselves a true franchise QB in a very good draft in 2014? Id rather draft OL and some playmakers this year and see what we have in McElroy- if he's nothing, we are in position to draft a franchise QB and compete in 2014; if he actually turns out to be promising then even better.

19. Br4d

Moore isn't going to be dirt-cheap. The Jets basically have no budget at all to sign another QB this season. They're already paying Sanchez $8.25M for the year and his cap number is over $12M. So whoever they sign is likely to be from the bargain basement bin with nobody else bidding for them.

Marginal QB's aren't going to take a vet minimum deal if somebody else has any real money on the table. Those guys are going to be retired in a year or two and they need to earn now. Moore will have more than a bargain basement deal on the table. Signing him is going to be a real expense and the Jets just don't have the space to do that.

20. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

Moore made $2.5 mil last year I believe. I can't imagine he'd make much more than that on the open market.