QB Possibilities (players already in the NFL)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mambo9, Jan 19, 2013.

?

Who would you prefer to have competing for the Jets starting QB job in 2013?

1. Matt Flynn

25.9%
  2. Kevin Kolb

2.7%
  3. Colt McCoy

4.1%
  4. Alex Smith

23.2%
  5. Michael Vick

6.5%
  6. Nick Foles

7.2%
  7. Trent Edwards

0.3%
  8. Kellen Clemens

2.7%
  9. Someone else please...

27.3%
  1. I Am The Stig

I Am The Stig Active Member

Smith would be out of our price range...Moore would just be cutting it close.

2. Ben Had

Ben Had Active Member

Ben Volin tweeted yesterday that Ireland understands Matt Moore wishes to enter free agency and find a starting job. Ireland told Moore that if it doesn't work out "there's always a job for him in Miami"

3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

You know you have a terrible QB situation when people are pushing for Matt Moore..

Moore wouldn't be any better or worse than Sanchez/McElroy. All 3 of them belong in the league as backups but aren't worth hanging the franchise on. Might as well pass on him.

4. Ben Had

Ben Had Active Member

One possible quarterback candidate in New York? Tarvaris Jackson, according to Schefter, based on shared ties with new general manager John Idzik. When he was with the Seattle Seahawks, Idzik was a supporter of Jackson, who spent the past season with the Buffalo Bills.

Jackson is an unrestricted free agent and would come at a relatively cheap cost for the Jets, who find themselves saddled with the unwieldy guaranteed contract they handed Mark Sanchez last offseason. This much appears certain: Sanchez will be surrounded by new faces and confront stiff competition heading into next season.

5. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

The only way I'd be happy with Jackson is if we tried to go after better options and it didn't work out. I'm not a big Jackson supporter, and if it came down to him I would rather McElroy get a shot to be honest.

6. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I've thought of Jackson as well solely because of his WCO experience and mobility. I completely forgot about the Idzik connection in Seattle. Jets fans would be vehemently oppose to Jackson because it would just solidify Sanchez as the starter. I don't think he would beat out Sanchez in an open competition.

7. Jetsjack

Jetsjack New Member

I've been in suppor of signing Jackson since the beginning of the offseason. He has show some potential, but has never gotten a very fair chance at a starting job. he can also come cheap, sign him and let him compete with McElroy and Sanchez is training camp/preaseason.

8. legler82

Though I wouldn't have an issue with Jackson, I have to disagree with you about not given a fair chance. He was a 2006 2nd round draft pick just like Kellen Clemens. Not that Clemens deserved it but Jackson was given A LOT more opportunities than Clemens.

9. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Throw out the offenses whether it be the WCO, Pistol, Read option, etc. First thing you need to critically evaluate is can the guy throw the ball accurately in the pocket.

Tavaris Jackson is almost, and I stress almost, as bad as Mark Sanchez when it comes to this aspect. He literally has zero feel in the pocket and his accuracy is awful. He thinks too much in the pocket just like Suckchez. They're both mental midgets.

The Jets would be better off trying out an UDFA rookie than Jackson if they're gonna go that route.

We're gonna suck next year anyways. Give McElroy the keys to the job. Sanchez should not be allowed on the field unless it's as a punt protector.

10. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

Jackson got most of last season for the 'Hawks and a couple seasons for the Vikings. Based on that body of work, we know more about what he has than what Kellen Clemens can do. IMHO, neither are worth serious consideration for the starting position.

Weighing between starting Nacho, McElroy, or getting a veteran, it would seem that sinking money (outside of draft picks) would be a waste as McElroy could be a serviceable stop-gap until a longer term solution presented itself.

11. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

If we are going to run a WCO I like the idea of Alex Smith more.

12. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Yeah, and let's hope the new faces are on another team somewhere.

13. legler82

I feel we should get a veteran no matter what. The only thing I continue to weigh is the cost of getting a vet that can beat out Sanchez versus a guy like Jackson who would be a serviceable #2 that doesn't pose a threat. The latter comes with the caveat that Sanchez would need to show dramatic improvement or else we draft a young QB early in the 2014 draft. I personally don't see McElroy as a #2.

14. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

The answer may be right under our noses. GMAC wasn't much worse than all these other options we're talking about here (before he got injured, of course) and a hell of a lot cheaper.

In the short time we saw him, I was left with the impression that, if given enough protection (we've really got to address this O-line), he wouldn't make a half bad interim QB until we can draft the next coming. Maybe the immediate answer for now is, we look to build a better offense around GMAC and the hell with looking for another QB.

15. Realistic Jets Fan

GMac and Moore competing for the starting job

a third of fourth round pick with some upside the #3

the Turnover Machine inactive for 16 weeks occupying the #53 spot on the roster and then gone at the end of 2013

as for the turd that was the number 2 this season, he needs to be GONE yesterday

16. legler82

You are certainly not as pragmatic as your name would suggest.

17. Jetnad

Jetnad Member

Why isnt Tebow an option on the list, isn't he on the roster for next year?

18. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Foles was impressive with his gameplay last year. I doubt the eagles look to get rid of him. But I would be very excited if we somehow aquired him.

Many of you are overrating Flynn. His good NFL performances are more a credit to GB setting him up to make easy throws. I think his price tag is too high because he cashed in on being the hot name last year.

Many of you are underrating Kolb. The cards, with a shitty o line and poor rushing attack, were 4-0 and a playoff caliber team this year with Kolb healthy. Without him they couldn't win another game. I think Kolb has more upside than Smith.

There's a guy wasting away in KC who has not been given a chance to play yet and his college metrics scream second coming of Tom Brady. His name is Ricky Stanzi.

19. Realistic Jets Fan

well... uh... I think the reason is that Tebow SUCKS

as for being pragmatic

I think my QBs on the roster for 2013

Moore, starter, McElroy, backup, rookie draftee 3 and Turnover Machine 4th and out at the end of the season, is actually QUITE pragmatic and realistic

20. legler82

LOL...carrying 4 QBs with the 4th string making 8.25 million?