Jets Hire Marty Mornhinweg for OC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by tank75, Jan 18, 2013.

1. NotSatoshiNakamoto

And that somehow adds up to never finishing outside the top 15 in total offense and almost always finishing in the top 10. :rolleyes:

2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Yes as evidenced by his multiple top 10 offenses. I swear people just don't care how dumb they look these days. A little research is all it takes.

3. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

...and Hilariously, You sir, are exhibit A in the category of people that you are referring to. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

4. WillyBeaman

WillyBeaman New Member

5. WillyBeaman

WillyBeaman New Member

Santonio Holmes, who fans love to pretend is a No.1 receiver, would not start on the Eagles (pre Late year meltdown).

Keep that in mind when heaping praise on MM.

6. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

and, it also adds up to Eagle nation being totally dissappointed w/the constant failures in the RZ and the inability to put teams away in big games and hideously dumb play calling in critical moments of games. A generally productive offense that shits the bed at crunch time is not a great offense despite having flashy stats. If that offense was so great, Marty wouldn't be coming to NYJ as OC. I'm not darksiding the hiring of MM - just being realistic here - he hasn't set the league on fire.

7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Well at least you posted some stats and facts to back up your statement...

8. WillyBeaman

WillyBeaman New Member

Nailed it. Lots of yards, consistently turnover prone and terrible in the red zone despite top flight talent at every skill position. Never as good as they should have been!

Better than Sparano but let's hold off on popping the champagne.

9. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

It's not a sexy hire, but it's a solid one. Besides, I'm pretty sure Andy Reid was calling most of the plays with the Eagles. And, it's not like they were always a doormat with him around. This year was probably an aberration, but when you have a coach for 12 years, it's time to move on.

10. NotSatoshiNakamoto

So since you were clearly full of shit in your post about pass pass pass punt pass pass pass punt bullshit you decided to change the argument when you got called out on it? Let's just look at points scored as that's very important for an offensive stat

2006: 6th
    2007: 17th
    2008: 6th
    2009: 11th
    2010: 3rd
    2011: 8th
    2012: 29th

2012 was obviously a terrible year for the Eagles, but prior to that under Mornhinweg they consistently ranked in the top end of the league in points scored.

Call me crazy but if he can get us top 15 in yards and points we'll be an extremely dangerous team. I'll take my chances on his ability in "crunch time".

Obviously we need to give him a lot more talent than we currently have on offense, but that would be the case for any OC we brought in. At least we know this guy can make shit happen when he has the tools.

11. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I'm not popping any champagne, but I'm excited about the hire. The guys offense consistently gains yards and scores points. That's what I care about. Yes, we need to give him more talent to work with.

12. DMarsh6

DMarsh6 Active Member

So this guy has constantly produced good offenses yet I still see complaining? The red zone inefficiency is alarming but certainly correctable as all you really need is a go to guy there just like Plax was for Sanchez in 11. Hopefully Hill steps up and becomes that guy

13. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I would be perfectly fine with the Jets taking offense in every round of the '13 draft. Rex needs to work with what he can get for now.

14. DMarsh6

DMarsh6 Active Member

Finally some one that gets it. We haven't had a top ten offense since Testaverde and this guy has constantly been around there. Not to mention he has a record of developing QBs. This board just amazes me sometimes

15. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

The actual fix with Testaverde had nothing to do with throwing deep. Belichick told Vinny it was ok to throw the ball away. Also, they found most of Vinny's interceptions came when he tried to throw on the run, or after scrambling around the pocket. They told Vinny to make the commitment to run fully, and not throw while scrambling.

16. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

When?

What I remember is, Vinny thrived, and it had nothing to do with WCO. (Parcells was here. He doesn't like WCO. End of the story.)

P.S. If you guys still don't get it yet, the offensive system in place while Vinny was with the Jets is the very system Cheat is using up in Foxboro; it's called Erhardt/Perkins system. Ok?

17. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

:rofl: Hilarious.

18. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

If Jets had these on offense, they would have won SB one time or another.

AND would have made it to the playoffs just fine the next year.

Or am I wrong to assume this?

(Sure, the offensive talent on Jets squad last year was nothing like that of Eagles, but I still tend to think Jets had a pretty good offensive personnel during the two AFCCG run.)

19. cbman13

cbman13 Well-Known Member

Is this official yet? Or speculation?

20. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Excellent response. My feelings to a T.
    As a passing comment No OC could be a winner with the offense we fielded this past year. Further, the G and P is not a winning strategy in today's NFL. This is a great hire to shape the offense for the future, not to salvage our existing inept offense. How much it gets done this year will be a function of many factors, including of course existing contracts, who stays, who goes and so one.
    Hopefully we will not go for a patch solution but focus on the long term. I'm not a big Sanchez fan but I can't see him being less effective in a more aggressive pass first offense than the usual run, run, run and then pass when the whole world knows he will.