Jets Hire Marty Mornhinweg for OC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by tank75, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Sanchez, is not Pennington. He can get the ball there.

Don't take my word for it, go watch the St Louis game this year. They changed up the offense, because they were facing Schottenheimer....short throws, delivered fairly accurately, though they only had to throw 20 times, he completed 75%.

Or, go watch the week one Buffalo game. When he had talent around him.....

2. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

They didn't run a WCO and the ball was thrown down the field when Vinny was here. Chrebet had his highest YPC of his career at 14. Dedric Ward had 25 catches with a YPC over 19. Keyshawn had his third highest YPC of his career and well above his career average.

Vinny was not throwing slants on 3 step drops.

3. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

The best thing for Sanchez if for him to get trades...Maybe he snaps and becomes a good QB, but probably not. He'll have a good game every once in awhile, but mostly he'll just suck the air out of the place. Sure he had one good game against the Rams, you look hard enough you'll find one or two good games, but mostly against teams with average or worse defenses (rams this year were pretty much average on every defensive metric, between 14th-16th mostly.

But the fact remains, and this is what cracks me up, that while people say he had a bad year this year he was about about his career averages in just about evey category you can grade a QB on.

4. BigGreenUgly

BigGreenUgly Well-Known Member

You are very correct. Because I have that whole season on DVD. Hell the pass that gave the Jets their first EVER AFC East Title (1998) was a deep TD throw to Ward at Buffalo.

Phil Simms called it the best passing offense in the NFL that year. The Vinny short slant and screen passing, mostly to Richie Anderson, came after we let Keyshawn go.

5. BigGreenUgly

BigGreenUgly Well-Known Member

The thing that should concern everyone is why Andy Reid didn't take Mornhinweg to KC with him........not sure anyone mentioned that.

6. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Ummm..

Vinny did run a WCO while he was here.

There are different versions of the WCO, a lot of them include the deep ball often.

7. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I mentioned this in another thread..

Shouldn't the fact that Reid and Marty were together for 10 years speak volumes as well? That is a long time.

Reid went to a new organization, a fresh start, which I am sure applied to the coaching staff as well.

I'm sure it would have been hard to sell that tandem to the KC fans as well considering the poor season last year. Which wasn't really the coaching staffs fault but it was still a bad year none the less.

8. odessa

odessa Banned

I'm not down on this hire in the least. The Eagles offense for the majority of his tenure has been pretty damn good. We'll just wait and see what happens. I guarantee the Jets offense will be radically different.

9. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

seriously?

why would andy reid change organizations to bring all of the same people with him in the same positions?

10. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Vick and McNabb are and were not the most accurate of QBs.

11. legler82

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

12. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Why do people assume Morningwood and Vick are tied to the hip and bringing him in as OC means Vick is coming? if anyone is down on Vick for deflating his offense by failing in the Red Zone it'd be Mornhinweg.

He's experienced, has had a lot of success with QB's, and I like the hire given the circumstances and who else was available. Wish he was our coordinator this past season. Feeling that way is enough for me to be happy about it.

13. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

He ran it after Hackett was brought in and it sucked with Vinny. We didn't run it in 98.

14. legler82

Our deep threat was Dedric Ward who was the 3rd WR on the depth chart but played on the outside with Chrebet in the slot in our 3 WR packages. I agree we didn't go deep a lot in 98. We were very selective when we did making the offense very efficient at it. Weiss made a killing in those bunch formations that year; that was money in the bank.

15. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

You have said this ad nauseum and every time you ignore the fact that Sanchez' short accuracy is bad, to put it nicely. When he throws screens he throws them high or behind and the wr or rb gets hit before being able to make a play.

The reason they don't give him the "easy" throws is because it might be his worst throw. I wish you would stop ignoring that

In case you need an "expert" to back up what your eyes should tell you, this is prior to last year and doesn't include the scrubs that played at WR this year:

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/sto...-sanchez-improve-completion-percentage-season

These are his numbers from last year:

Pass Thrown Behind Line of Scrimmage 26/43 155 yards 60.5% 0TD 1 INT 57.8 QB Rating

^That is AWFUL...For comparisons sake, here are Matt Cassel, Chad Henne, and Brandon Weeden's numbers, hardly considered great QBs:

Pass Thrown Behind Line of Scrimmage 36/53 288 yds 67.9% 1TD 0 INT 87.6
    Pass Thrown Behind Line of Scrimmage 17/19 62 yds 89.5% 0TD 0 INT 80.3
    Pass Thrown Behind Line of Scrimmage 73/105 467yds 69.5% 1TD 0 INT 81.7

#215 BeastBeach, Jan 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  16. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

This.

Sanchez can't place the ball where it needs to be on short passes, and that's kind of an important part of the WCO. McElroy is probably the best fit of the QBs we have on the roster right now actually.

17. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

Yep...he has trouble consistently hitting slants. The slant is a key element to the WCO and Sanchez routinely puts that on the back hip leaving the WR no ability to run after the catch. Sure you can cherry pick some good ones to Santonio in 2010, but I bet for every accurate slant you will find 2 to 3 where the wr got tackled immediately due to a poor throw

18. Rex would not have made this hire 4 years ago.That to me is good news.I've never been a big fan of the WCO,,and the one thing i never liked about Philly's O is that they abandoned the running game far too frequently.

That said there are alot of positives about Mornhinweg.

1. We know he can lead the offense in an assistant head coach type of role b/c he's been a HC.

2.He has a background in developing Qbs & a passing game.Something Sparano severely lacked

3. His offense has a clear identity that the team can build an offense around.Ground & pound is dead.

19. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I think too many posters immediately think of his time as the Lions coach and take this as a negative move. Truth is he is a solid offensive coordinator and way better than Schotty or Sparano. It is a big change to the offense but guess what? The offense was terrible. Start warming up to this move fellas!

20. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

MM = pass, pass, pass, punt, pass, pass, pass, punt, run, pass, pass, punt, pass, pass, pass, punt.... LOL should be interesting.