QB Possibilities (players already in the NFL)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mambo9, Jan 19, 2013.

?

Who would you prefer to have competing for the Jets starting QB job in 2013?

1. Matt Flynn

25.9%
  2. Kevin Kolb

2.7%
  3. Colt McCoy

4.1%
  4. Alex Smith

23.2%
  5. Michael Vick

6.5%
  6. Nick Foles

7.2%
  7. Trent Edwards

0.3%
  8. Kellen Clemens

2.7%
  9. Someone else please...

27.3%
  1. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Premise: I think Sanchez doesn't fit in what supposedly is going to be our new offense at all. 3 things he sucks at the most: reading defenses, going through his reads, accurate ball placement.
    But this is NOT a Sanchez thread so enough said... here are a couple of options that make sense (some I like, some I don't but they have a logic):

1. Matt Flynn
    GB runs a WCO right? Hasn't played that many games but he did show some talent in limited opportunities. He would have to take a pay cut to come to the Jets but I'm sure Idzik knows EXACTLY how much the Seahawks think he's worth and if he's a guy who will be worth his money.
    The fact they gave him a nice contract last year makes me believe Idzik likes him, but who knows... maybe he was the only guy against the move!
    ADVANTAGES: Idzik knows EXACTLY what type of player and human being this guy is, and wether he might be worth the money/draft picks.
    NEGATIVES: Has a fairly heavy contract (but I'm sure it can be worked around) and is relatively inexperienced as a starter (so there's always a risk)

2. Kevin Kolb
    Just to put it out there, this is an option I DON'T like. However it makes some sense. Had his best years under Morninwheg and has always been hurt in Arizona (no kidding, try playing behind that shit OL they have). I'm sure reuniting him with his former OC would put some life back in him... he would also already know the system so it would be less of a learning curve.
    HAs a really shitty contract. If they cut him it would be good because we wouldn't have to give anything in exchange, if they can't because of cost vs the cap maybe we can do a "bad contract" trade with Sanchez (who btw would do fairly well in ARZ imo).
    Advantages: Played for Morninwheg before. His value has never been lower. Might be available in FA or in an exchange with Sanchez.
    Disadvantages: How broken is he after 2 yrs behind the worst OL in football? Does he have enough talent? Might be expensive because of past bad contract.

3. Colt McCoy
    The analysis during the draft process was "he might have some success in the NFL in a WCO". Since we are running that why not give him a go?
    Surely he won't fit in Chudzinski's system at all so he will be available for relatively cheap. He also has a small contract...
    However is he only a stop-gap solution or would he actually be a decent player?
    Advantages: Cheap. Supposedly a good fit in WCO.
    Disadvantages: Limited potential.

4. Alex Smith
    Here's a guy that intrigues me. I think this year he has shown that he can be an efficient QB, and isn't that really what a WCO QB needs to be?
    Keep in mind though he's been playing with some really good coaches and wit han excellent supporting cast, so his stats might be inflated. Also he's probably going to be the most expensive out of the guys mentioned above... but he's also the one with more experience, more leadership and more success. Would he be worth the money?
    Advantages: Most experience, proved this year he can be efficient.
    Disadvantages: inflated stats by playing in SF. Injury history. Cost.

5. Mike Vick
    We all know the good and the bad, it's going to be discussed a ton during the offseason. Just wanted to include his name.

6. Nick Foles
    Here's a guy that intrigues me. Supposedly he doesn't fit Chip Kelly's style (but who knows what style of O he will run). Has already played one year for Morninwheg so he'd be one step ahead in the learning curve. Showed some potential and is on a cheap rookie deal. Are the Eagles interested in letting him go though?
    Advantages: Played for Morninwheg before. Cheap.
    Disadvantages: Are the Eagles interested in trading him? Is he good enough to warrant a trade?

7. Trent Edwards
    Do we want BuffaloPsycho to kill himself?

8. Kellen Clemens
    Or do we want Jets fans to kill themselves?

Did I leave out some other WCO guy?

#1 Mambo9, Jan 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  2. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Sanchez. (norm chow, Steve Sarkisian)

And every guy on that lost sucks, except Vick, and he's an injury risk.

3. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

I just do not see the Jets bringing in any of those guys nor do I want them to.

4. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Glad to see that no one voted for Clemens YET :lol:

5. Danny@ATL

Danny@ATL New Member

Could a Sanchez for Flynn deal be possible?

6. azhar80

azhar80 Well-Known Member

Sanchez before all of them. Just bcuz there is change doesn't mean there will be improvement. I think given healthy offense with Braylon, Sanchez will do well.

Out of the qb's on the list I think Kolb should be brought in to compete with Sanchez. I think Vick is the best qb but he is not realistic option or Flynn and Smith. But you never know. A healthy Mike Vick is monster and will automatically make us serious post season team.

7. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Matt Flynn.

Like you stated, Idzik knows that whole situation like the back of his hand. Bring in Flynn and battle Sanchez out for the starting spot under the new OC. Whoever wins the job is just a band aid until we can draft a franchise QB. We need a quick fix in the meantime and I think Flynn might be our answer.

Something intrigued Idzik to come over here. What is even more surprising, is Mornhinweg signed right after Idzik. Who in their right mind would sign with this offense is beyond me, but he did, and immediately after Idzik put down his signature. I have a feeling they are going to push for either Flynn or Alex Smith. Either way, two very good options to hold us over until the draft that has viable QB alternatives.

Oh and Woody has stated that money is NOT an issue this coming year for the QB position. I have a gut feeling we'll be trying to bring in one of the two I mentioned, especially Flynn. He knows Idzik very well and Idzik has stated that he loves Flynn.

8. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I imagine we'd have to give up a significant draft pick along with Sanchez.

9. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

...and a lot of money. Not happening.

McElroy vs. Sanchez death match in TC.

10. Falco21

I don't think that's true at all. Pete Carroll loves Sanchez and would probably listen to options regarding trading Flynn for Sanchez. Not only that, but they have a franchise QB in Russell Wilson. If he's anything like most QB's, they won't need to really rely at all on the back up.

Flynn is trading power for them now. Although, I do not see them demanding a high draft pick AND a lot of money.

11. Ben Had

Ben Had Active Member

What draft picks are you willing to give up for Flynn?

12. Falco21

Depends on a lot of things. We need a QB desperately right now. We just signed an OC who needs a QB that can run his offense and frankly, Sanchez ain't that guy. Our first pick needs to be an outside linebacker. After that, we can look into possibly trading for Flynn with picks.

The question becomes, do we waste a pick and trade for Flynn now, or do we tank this next season and hope a QB comes out of the draft the following year who is worth a damn? Flynn has shown he can play in the NFL. Can he do it consistantly? No one knows right now, but they were pretty certain he could over in Seattle. Who would have ever thought a 3rd round pick would be a stud and beat Flynn out?

13. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

that whole list makes me throw up in my mouth. i do not want to trade for any "stop gap, servicable ,hold the fort," or any other term for a non franchise qb. that guy is already on the roster and taking up a shit load of cap space. if flynn was a franchise qb he would have been starting this year. yes rw3 had a great rookie season but franchise qb's don't get beat out in t.c.

sign a f.a. have a 3 way battle in camp and use all the draft picks on filling the holes in the roster.

14. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

IF Seattle didn't want draft picks then Flynn would be the number 1 choice imo. I like Vick a lot as well, Matt Moore and Alex Smith would be solid placeholders. But Colt McCoy seems interesting I never thought about him before. He's young and showed promise in Cleveland, he's someone I'd consider too.

15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Matt Flynn was a 7th round pick who couldn't beat out a 3rd round pick after his new team spent $10 million to bring him onboard. His upside is Ryan Fitzpatrick but he's probably nowhere near that good.

16. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

I voted for Foles because I don't know anything about him. I voted no on the rest because I do know something about them, Not really enthused.

17. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

BTW it would be foolish to give up any draft picks for an unknown player like Flynn. At least with guys like Smith, Vick, Moore, McCoy etc, we know what they can and can't do. With Flynn he's a mystery and you can't judge him based on 1 or 2 games.

18. DMarsh6

DMarsh6 Active Member

From what I heard at the beginning of the season, it seemed a lot of part of Wilson starting was that Flynn was injured. It was close in camp and Wilson was doing well so they went with it (at least that's what I have heard).

Here's a link:
    http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2012-10-01/seattle-seahawks-reveal-qb-matt-flynn-is-injured

#18 DMarsh6, Jan 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  19. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

Add Brandon Weeden, Cleveland to the list. The point of the thread is to explore every possibility & Weeden's name should be included.

The Browns hired NFL Network's Michael Lombardi as VP of player personnel. Last year durning the draft, Lombardi called the selection of Brandon Weeden at No. 22 overall a "panicked disaster."

20. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

that maybe, but do you want to give up a draft pick for that and take his cap #