Do we really have a need at WR?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mambo9, Jan 17, 2013.

1. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

2 if you include Hill. And Edwards wasn't around until the last 3 weeks.

Schilens, Gates, Gilyard, etc really don't strike a lot of fear in defenses around the league. Nor Kerley for that matter.

2. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Hill was a bad pick we traded up to get, He isn't gonna turn out to be shit, Why does every player the Jets draft take 6 or 7 years to develop into a mid level shit talent, In the Rex Ryan era atleast

3. xxedge72x

Hill is a super high upside talent who was known to be incredibly raw going into the draft. When you draft a guy like that you don't immediately start them and expect normal productivity. You train them up, let them get comfortable, and give them more reps when they're showing signs of being ready. Look at how the Giants handled Mario Manningham.

Tannenbaum got fired and Rex is on the hot seat because the Jets don't have a plan. They just simply get enamored with various players and go for it.

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Hill was a fantasy football pick. Nothing he did in college suggests that he will be a great player at the next level. That said he has earned a rep as a hard worker and if he doesn't get blown out by the boo birds he could develop into a steady receiver for the Jets. He might be a player that opposing defenses have to respect deep and that would add a dimension to the Jets offense that is missing at the moment.

5. LongIslandBlitz

The Jets never draft a "Producing Right Away" type of player, look at Sanchez,Hill, Wilkerson is becoming great after 2 years, Greene still doesn't look good,John Conor,, Coples might be the best draft pick since Revis

6. xxedge72x

I think the one thing he did show in limited action this year is that he can get open. Where he may have been the only guy on the roster getting open when he was out there, he killed that by dropping too many passes.

The talent is certainly there. He should be the 4, not the 2.

7. xxedge72x

To be fair, very very very few rookies are "produce right away" players. If you want someone to come in and make an immediate impact, then draft a running back, maybe an offensive lineman.

If you look at successful teams, their rookies are there to compliment some aspect of the team that wasn't really working right to begin with. Hill is an example of the opposite approach, which is to take a guy who "might" be good and annoint him the starter immediately.

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If the drops were just nerves on the big stage then he has some real upside. If the drops were because he has lesser hand-eye coordination than desired, well that's how the cookie crumbles. The hand-eye coordination that a WR needs to pickup throws after his turn and then catch the ball is extraordinary.

In college all you have to do is beat college defensive backs and then catch some balls and you make waves. In the NFL you have to beat professional defensive backs and then dropping a few makes waves. It's a world of difference.

9. LongIslandBlitz

based on what we have seen from Hill so far what makes you say the talent is there??? Dropping important passes??? garbage at route running and learning the playbook of a nfl . Just because he is tall and fast doesn't mean he has the killer insticnt

10. xxedge72x

IMO he has the same problem Santana Moss had as a rookie, which is that he's looking to run before the ball is in his hands.

Then again the pass that bounced off his chest in the endzone was inexcusable on any level of football.

11. xxedge72x

Hill isn't the first rookie to have the dropsies. It is a coachable problem. I don't know what makes you believe he runs bad routes... the guy was frequently open / getting past his guy. It didn't seem like it because his hands were so bad. But the Jets should've known that when drafting a guy who had about 60 catches in his entire collegiate career.

When you consider his height, speed, elusiveness, power, and blocking ability, I believe he can be developed into a very good NFL receiver. The Jets haven't proven they are capable of developing players, like Mark Sanchez. So whether or not he ever actually pans out is a big question mark...

12. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I agree with this 100% I felt they overestimated how good Hill was going to be. Hopefully they learn from their mistake and next season they let Hill develop at his own pace. Braylon should be brought back as a placeholder and you hope by 2014 Hill is ready to take the number 1 receiver spot.

13. LongIslandBlitz

Not to mention he also doesn't seem to be very durable, There was something wrong with him every game, He was almost always on the injury report

14. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

Gates... lol

Yes we need another WR.

15. LongIslandBlitz

I just ordered my Clyde Gates jersey to,

16. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

Wow that's surprising ... but also makes my point.
    How many of those last 14 seasons have we had a losing record?
    Those last 14 seasons also include 3 AFCCG appearances.

I really think our offense will be fine if we just do a better job of capitalizing in the Red Zone, and stop turning the ball over at an alarming rate ... ie. Get a REAL QB in here.

17. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Kerley would, if he was in the slot. Hill, Holmes, Kerley,Edwards is a decent 4.

18. xxedge72x

Kerley is average.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

19. LongIslandBlitz

I know some Jet fans act as if he is the second coming of Keyshawn Johnson, He is average at best and is a multi purpose player like a Brad smith

20. Rex's Sweater Vest

Rex's Sweater Vest Active Member

We don't need any WRs, Holmes, Edwards, Hill, and Kerley are a great group, we do however need a tightend