Do we really have a need at WR?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mambo9, Jan 17, 2013.

1. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

I think people are expecting too much out of Edwards. The guy had 2 knee surgeries and will be 3 years older almost from the time we saw him tear it up in the playoffs. He clearly wasn't himself this past year and even admitted it. I think the Edwards we may see next year will be another Plaxico Burress. It would be nice if we regained that top speed we saw but i wouldnt bet any money on it...

2. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

500 points?? Never gonna happen ... accept it.

As long as they have the best QB in history, its ridiculous to hope we can score on a par with them. Nobody else does either.

The question was, do we need to upgrade the WR position next season. I don't care who we have at WR, we're still not keeping up with NE. We just need to score enough points to get us to a winning record. 375-400 points should be plenty, and I'm confident that we can do that with our current crop of WR's ... as long as we can get competent NFL level play at the QB position.

3. laxin

laxin Active Member

With our defense blah blah blah. This defense isnt clutch. This defense isnt elite. Its very good, but not elite.

Hasnt the playoffs taught you anything? Vs and good team, you are going to have to put up 24-30 points at least. The 49ers, Seahawks, Broncos and Ravens (when healthy), have better defenses than ours... They each had to put up over 21 points offensively to win. And thats against good competition.

This is a QB driven league and an offensive driven league. If you dont have a top 10-12 offense, you are kind of fucked. I dont care how good your defense it, you are going to have to put up points. If you are not talking competing for a SB when you say "win", then who cares how good our defense is...

Its time to finally look in the mirror and realize the trend in the NFL and try and follow it for once. Rebuild this offense from scratch and maybe we can compete for a SB in 2014.

4. Going4TheGreen

Going4TheGreen Well-Known Member

You guys must've missed all the time the announcers would highlight the fact that the receivers weren't getting open. Either running poor or lazy routes, not knowing their responsibility or just not being agile enough to create separation. There were plenty of times where Sanchez would get coverage sacked and they'd say 'Sanchez is not without blame but he doesn't have anywhere to throw.'

I would like to be able to 'pass' on WR this offseason because of the plethora of other needs, and I probably would as far as free agency goes. But if the Jets draft board has BPA at WR wherever they're picking...pull the trigger and get it right.

5. retroicon

retroicon Member

Here's what I've learned from this thread...

Everyone seems to be in agreement that Kerley could turn out to be a good slot receiver, and that he did a damn fine job this year...

That means we've just sealed his fate. He's going to get cut because the Jets don't seem to have anyone, outside of the fans, who recognize talent.

6. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Holmes, Kerley and Hill do get open. I've seen them make some nice moves to break away from coverage. Hill is good with the delayed stutter step. The only problem is he's got to correct his dropsies. It also doesn't help that by the time they get open, Sanchez usually has DEs closing in on him. I think it was largely Sparano, because the WRs never seem to be on the same page with Sanchez. Some of his interceptions were because of them running routes too close to one another. Sanchez definitely could have been better, but so could everyone else on offense.

#66 Barcs, Jan 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  7. Barcs

Barcs Banned

The defense is good enough. They would be clutch if not for the constant turnovers and 3 and outs on offense. They are constantly on the field, so they get worn out. The passing defense IS elite, we just need pass rushing OLBs to compliment that and the D will be sick. They aren't elite right now, but they are a couple pieces away.

We need to average around 24 a game. That should be the goal and would be good enough to make us a contender with the defense we have. I think we averaged 17 a game this year, which is pathetic. Our defense rarely lets in more than 24 a game. We don't need a high powered crazy explosive offense. Sure it would be nice, but that's really along the lines of wishful thinking, because first we need to be able to afford that and without an elite QB, it's very very difficult to do. Rather than dismantling everything, I'd rather compliment the top 10 D, with a top 15+ offense.

#67 Barcs, Jan 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  8. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Cromartie isn't even going to be a free agent until after the 2014 season. If we don't trade him by then, I'd be surprised if he is still playing at such a high level, to the point that we'd want to tag him.

9. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

If we pick a WR, please let it be Cordarelle Patterson. He is a beast.

10. Bill Belichdouche

Bill Belichdouche Well-Known Member

Is this a serious thread?

We need a WR in the worst way. I don't think I saw one of our guys get separation once last year.

11. There are actually alot of useful parts in the Jets skill group and it's not as bad as portrayed. What they lack is explosion. That one guy who is a threat every time he touches the ball. If the Jets can find that one guy..whether it be at RB/WR/TE & they find a QB who will not turn the ball over..this offense's performance will be light year's better

12. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Mardy Gillaryd and Jason Hill were getting balls thrown to them at one point what does that tell you

13. The Jets had a ton of injuries to their WR corps..

14. Going4TheGreen

Going4TheGreen Well-Known Member

I agree Sparano and the poor offensive line play had something to do with the lack of production on O.

How much longer do you think Holmes will be on this team? It looks really attractive to me for the Jets to cut him loose before 2014. Kerley is a FA after 2014 too. I'm just saying this group is not above being added to. Especially through the draft.

15. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I understand the premise of this thread as on paper Edwards / Holmes / Kerley / Hill is a serviceable group when healthy... that said, the fact that we need to consider "when healthy" is red flag number one. The second red flag is Holmes contract and the uncertain nature of Edwards tenure here, if any at all. He has a tendency to get jettisoned and it wouldn't be a surprise if it happened again, as much as Jets fans in general hope he's around next year.

Drafting a WR should set the Jets up nicely for the future, when you consider that they'll be paired with what should be an improved Stephen Hill. The current group provides the flexibility to draft a player and not expect immediate dividends, but rather ease them into productivity.

An explosive playmaker is arguably the #1 need the Jets have right now (which could include a pass rushing linebacker, but obviously the offense is worse off right now). If the Jets can find an explosive WR to draft in the 1st or 2nd round then they'll have covered two building blocks for the future in one shot.

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I have no idea if we'll be able to sign Edwards at the price we can afford but I'm pretty sure his slowest day is likely to be faster than Plaxico's. When they were both much younger the split was Edwards 4.45 40, Burress 4.59 40.

17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets have only gotten to 375 pts in a season twice in the last 14 seasons.

18. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Offensive ranks
    49ers - 11th
    Packers - 13th
    Ravens - 16th
    Seahawks - 17th

Denver and NE obviously at the top of the offensive ranks. If you don't have a HOF QB, which we don't, you better damn well play good defense.

The Jets offense ranked 30th. That is a huge problem, to your point.
    They need to improve to the middle of the pack, while continuing to play good defense, in order to realistically compete again.

19. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Sure, we need a WR, but we also need 2-3 O-linemen, 2-3 LBs, and a QB. I put all of those as bigger needs than WR.--that's not to diminish the fact that we very much need a WR, it's that we can't expect to be competitive at all without those others. With basically no room to sign FAs. How many draft picks do we have again?
    I'm just glad we got some safties in last years draft that might become contributors next season.

20. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

We had 1 injury at WR a ton???????? This is what happens when you have no depth or talent and your only guy goes down, but yea WR isn't a big need lets draft another DE in the first round