Potential GM Candidates (Update: Idzik Officially Hired)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Dec 31, 2012.

1. AlToon

AlToon Member

So now Jay Glazer isn't credible. Francesa,Greenberg,Cimini,the guy at the News and anyone who criticizes the Jets isn't credible or doesn't have an idea what they are saying or writing. Grow up.

2. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

:lol: Haha good one

3. PuMa

PuMa Banned

We are begging now... ? wow... for the pride i have in this team no matter what. that hurts.

4. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

I highly doubt we're begging. This is just more nonsense by the media...

5. AlToon

AlToon Member

Rex isn't what GM candidates are concerned with - their cap situation, personnel, QB and the circus turned a lot of candidates off

https://twitter.com/JayGlazer/status/290510750261334016

Rex brought the circus. Rex is the circus.

No wonder why the Ravens hired the Eagles special teams coach over Rex who was on their staff already for a quite a while.

6. PuMa

PuMa Banned

The way the media is portraying it we will either sign

Cohan or Angelo anyway it goes ..... very...very unfortunately.

7. AlToon

AlToon Member

8. AlToon

AlToon Member

Mike Florio

Maybe the Jets eventually will just bring back Mike Tannenbaum.

Something has to happen at some point, because Jets owner Woody Johnson is having a hard time finding a new General Manager. Per Jay Glazer of FOX, the team “can’t give the position away.”

Glazer says the Jets are calling back candidates who already have turned them down, asking them to reconsider. Meanwhile, guys they wanted who had other options (like Dave Caldwell and Tom Telesco) opted to go elsewhere.

So where will they go from here? Adam Schefter of ESPN reported earlier today that the Jets plan to have follow-up discussions this week with two of the candidates who haven’t turn them down (yet), and that the name to watch is former Bears G.M. Jerry Angelo. Per Schefter, Jets assistant G.M. Scott Cohen also is expected to be part of the process.

Making the job unattractive is the circus surrounding the franchise, from being forced to keep coach Rex Ryan for at least one year to the quarterback situation to a salary-cap mess, the job is viewed as not attractive.

Actually, those factors could make the job more attractive, because it could give the guy who takes the job a scholarship year with no expectations. Then, with a better cap and roster situation in 2014 and a license to hire a new coach, the new G.M. wouldn’t be on the clock until 2014.

If that doesn’t help the Jets get someone they want, the best play could be to promote Cohen, see how 2013 goes, and if necessary fire everyone after the coming season and start from scratch.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/13/glazer-jets-cant-give-g-m-position-away/

9. ArmandJ

If they're so concerned, why don't they try to fix it? If I'm a candidate looking to move up in the ranks, and I have a tough situation ahead of me, I would try my damndest to fix it instead of pussying up and saying 'it's too hard'.

I really wouldn't want anyone who's scared of fixing fairly fixable issues. It's not going to be done in an instant, but it will take time.

Cap situation will be fixed next year for a certain. Same for QB most likely. Same for personnel. If a GM isn't willing to have a free year to fix these moves, fuck them. Plain and simple.

10. AlToon

AlToon Member

Gary Myers buddy is Jerry Angelo. Myers was pushing Angelo for a GM job when Angelo was with TB. They were together at Syracuse. Myers went to the Cuse when Angelo was the Syracuse defensive line coach. Angelo is a horrible choice. Woody should give the job back to Bradway than hire Angelo.

11. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Can't wait for that presser no matter who they hire.

12. PuMa

PuMa Banned

Agreed 100000% we need someone with guts not a pussy

13. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

What's so bad about Angelo? 87-73 record with the Bears, took them to the SB one year and probably would have been 2 years if Cutler didn't get hurt in the championship game.

What don't you like about that resumé?

14. Realistic Jets Fan

Al doesn't like any of the choices

Al hates everything about the Jets

15. Rex haters should LOVE Jerry Angelo. He has a strong personality & will not let Rex push him around.

GM Wise..he IS an architect who knows how to build a team. He's managed in a big market before & knows how to run a football organization. He isn't the greatest with the cap. Hiring a finance guy to be in his ear would be wise. He's also very stubborn. He has a plan & sticks to it no matter the circumstances. Perhaps that might be good for this group. The Jets need an offensive identity more than anything right now.

16. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Here's what I don't understand. Candidates should know all that shit before interviewing. Why even bother interviewing if those things are going to make you not want the job?

Glazer is a guy a trust to report the truth, but this makes no sense to me.

17. ArmandJ

Good point. What people fail to understand is that no GM situation is going to be ideal. If things were going well, the old GM would have still been there. Common sense.

18. akibud

akibud Active Member

sounds like a clash of personalities with Ryan. Plus, from the owners impression, Ryan is in charge and the face of the Jets, not the unknown GM. I think Woody missed an opportunity last week to introduce the new GM. REX RYAN!!

19. Brunell's Debt

Brunell's Debt New Member

Agreed. I'm sure that Glazer is truthfully reporting what he heard, but I wouldn't be surprised if the source is someone from a rival team with a vested interest in making the Jets look bad.

Considering how few GM jobs become available during these executives' careers, I just have a hard time believing that nobody wants the Jets job because they'd be walking into a tough situation. On the contrary, I'd think that a lot of GMs would welcome the opportunity to completely tear the team down and reshape it in their image (especially because next year is a complete freebie with Rex as a lame duck.)

20. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

Angelo isn't an unknown GM. And as was pointed out by Rex and woody, the GM will have final say over personnel. Unless you mean something else when you say Ryan is in charge.