Jim Popp: Interesting GM Candidate

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NotSatoshiNakamoto, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I'd much rather hire a guy in American pro football....

2. The_W

The_W Banned

This is some retard shit, and even though this thread is about a the GM position as you stated, that it needs to be called out.

How can you base on 2 regular seasons and 1 playoffs, that Jim Harbaugh is a better coach than Rex Ryan. He hasn't done anything else or more that Rex did in his first 2 seasons than win the division, and that division has been notoriously weak since the Seahawks made the SB to last year. It wasn't that good this year either, but at least it had stellar competition for first place (not like in 2010 when the winner needed a 7-9 record) and had 2 playoff teams (first time since 2004).

If the 2009-2010 Jets would've played with same level of competition as the 49ers of the past two years and not with the dynasty of the Pats and Tom Brady, there is no doubt that the Jets would've also won the division.

What was the general atmosphere after Rex's first two seasons here? "He has changed the culture and and made the Jets relevant again". Funny how after two lackluster seasons all of that is forgotten and now the general consensus in the fanbase is "Rex is a buffoon and needs to be canned".

Regarding the professionalism, Harbaugh talks as much shit and bolster as much as Rex does, the thing is SF and NY are nowhere near each other in the media's interest. Think about the magnitude of the stories if Rex would've been in an altercation after a game with Jim Schwartz or honked his horn to Richard Sherman and the rest of the Seahawks.

Now if the 49ers falter and don't win the SB this year and then have two mediocre years, fools like you would still be here glamouring over Jim Harbaugh and how he's a great coach, Rex on the other hand is a lousy coach, "glorified DC pretending to be a HC".

3. TheGreenCantona

No i don't think they would. IF Harbaugh has a similar melt down to RR, us fools would regard him as much as a failure as we regard Rex right now.

Knowing what i know today , I agree with laxin that i would choose JH over RR any day of the week.
    Having said that I did like RR before the last two years, but you just cannot see through what has transpired under his watch, it is far from a professional, well run team-

4. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Wow..give Ryan a break..he played all year without his best defensive player and arguably his best offensive player (Holmes) and you call it a fuckin meltdown? Seriously?

5. NotSatoshiNakamoto

@JimmyJohnson Looks like 2 of my guys getting NFL jobs..Chud Cleveland and my QB coach at U Trestman to Chicago

6. TheGreenCantona

It is a meltdown, not only this year but last as well.

I am less concerned about wether it is 8-8, or 5-7 etx, but for the descisions that has been taken and the vision. There is not a single consistent red line going through what RR does. He just play it by ear and grasps anything he can hold on to on a weekly basis.

7. Danny@ATL

Danny@ATL New Member

Honestly, I'm glad they are trying something different. Many dominating players from the Canadian football league had very, very good careers in the NFL ie: Warren Moon, Doug Flutie, Kurt Warner. Why not GMs that do the same. They have to look further for good players because the NFL takes most of them.

8. NotSatoshiNakamoto

It's absolutely a legit concern. It's probably a more risky hire than most of the NFL candidates for that reason. But he has had tremendous success in the CFL and might have the highest upside.

With great risk comes great rewards.

9. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Exactly! We need to take a risk like this. You can hit it BIG with some risks.

10. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

The more I read up on this guy the more I kinda like.

11. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Trestman can run a hell of a spread offense, I will give him that.

Regarding Popp: I just view CFL as a much different game than NFL, very different styles. Everyone is lighter, LBs are like 210 pounds, 3 downs, longer field, virtually no run game. Really skeptical about his evaluating NFL calibre talent

#111 Jake, Jan 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  12. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

I look at it like this.

He has to work with a 4 million dollar salary cap and far less talented players. He still builds a fairly consistent team with success. What's to say that he can't transition to the NFL and do that with more salary cap and more talented players? If anything, it shows he might be able to find good players in the draft for a cheap price. As for free agents, he could probably negotiate contracts that don't leave us screwed should they fail.

He's a guy I would like.

13. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I would really like this move:

14. laxin

laxin Active Member

Retard shit? How about you get off your Rex bandwagon for a second and actually realize what Harbaugh has done over in San Fran. When Rex came here, he made this defense great. Yes, no arguing that.We snuck in the back door as a WC team in 2009 and won a respectable 11 games in 2010. Then we lost in the AFC championship and then everything went downhill. When you talk about Rex, you have to factor in his last two years as much as his first two year... And btw, his last two years are garbage.

He had a deteriorated roster, lost him team in 2011, had a young QB's development ruined, had back to back horrible offenses, failed at picking a right OC, ruined the Jets brand, brought in the biggest distraction ever in Tebow... May I go on?

Harbaugh has won his division twice, with the Seahawks who are a very good team within the division. He has picked, groomed and developed a young promising QB. He implemented a very old school yet innovative offense, being his strong point. Even though he is an offensive minded coach, he managed to make the defense a lot better than it was prior to him. He also helped turn around a huge bust at QB and turned him into a competent starter. Lastly, and most importantly- the roster isnt filled with aging talent and isnt deteriorating and ready to fall off a cliff. They look to only be getting better.

I think its pretty damn homer-ish and asinine to say you would rather Rex than Harbaugh at this point. He's one of the few coaches that I feel could salvage Sanchez and put an offensive product on field.

15. laxin

laxin Active Member

He seems like a very good candidate and like you said, I would rather risk it with Popp than promote Cohen.

Does anyone know of recent news on Popp and interviews with him?

16. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

The 49ers roster is light years ahead of the Jets. Can you imagine if Rex had someone like Aldon Smith? Rex has done more with less than Harbaugh.

17. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Can you guys please taking your Rex vs. Harbaugh pissing contest elsewhere? Thanks.

Could be an interesting thread ...

18. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

It sure starts with GM - at least he seems to have enough head to take on the job and succeed.

Now, remember I said it "starts" with GM - surrounding him with other equally capable people (in the NFL, notwithstanding) would be a tall order. If the scouting dept, coaching staff and GM all are as highly capable, then it's all about drafting and coaching the kids up. Success will follow.

19. laxin

laxin Active Member

Yeah sorry bout, didnt mean to derail this thread...

Im sure some of his trusted colleagues might follow him and maybe some coaches and even players. He is definitely one of the more interesting candidates. One thing is for sure, the guy knows how to spot talent and run a consistent winner. It might take him a year to get adjusted to the way the NFL is run and the salary cap, but at the same times its not like he'll be running this by himself- he will have others help him as all GM's do.

He interviewed for the Colts job last year and was the runner up and Im pretty sure they had some major cap problems... Maybe the cap "problems" arent such a deterrent for him.

20. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Yeah good point.
    I would think this applies to any GM candidate though. Some trusted colleagues may follow, but there is a FO rebuilding to do for anyone.

Something else others aren't considering..
    No GM candidate being considered has previous NFL GM experience. they are all a risk.
    Popp actually has the most related experience, albeit in a different football league. This football league does rely heavily on scouting, and has serious salary cap and player restrictions to work around. He has handled all very well there.
    He also twice stepped in mid season to take on HC duties. He obviously has a ton of football accumen. Could Tanny do that?

All things considered, i actually love his level of experience.
    I don't see this as any bigger risk than the other candidates being considered.
    Just a matter of who is the most qualified for the job.