Ian O'Connor: "Weak Woody bamboozled by Rex"

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by klecko73, Jan 9, 2013.

1. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

I'm still laughing at the assclowns who think Ryan should have been fired.

2. laxin

laxin Active Member

Cool.

You sound very intelligent.

3. Realistic Jets Fan

may be right

But he is correct that Rex should be the HC of the Jets...hopefully for decades

4. BigJenks

BigJenks Active Member

I'm glad Rex is still HC. I think he needed to be humbled a bit but I think it will be a good thing for Jets fans going forward. Give him the right personnel to fulfill his vision and scheme he's already shown he can get us far into the playoffs. I believe that in 5 years from now the idea that we should have fired Rex will seem sacrilegious. Or at least I'm hopeful...

5. Also valid points.

We don't differ that much. Rex has NOT been perfect the last 2 years. But his problems are manageable & repairable.They should both let him have any say in regards to the offensive personnel/scheme/play calling outside of big picture game changing decisions. He should have limited but not total input on defensive decisions.Then just let him run this defense.

The upside?Well we saw glimpses of that 2 years ago.Except slowly Rex is building a much BETTER defense.

6. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Awesome post. Especially the part why you and Woody aren't assclowns for thinking Rex should stay. Compelling argument.

7. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

You really believe they react to fan pressure to that much of a degree huh? So the fans are running the team? We better start whining for better moves then, so far we're doing a pretty shitty job.

8. The_Darksider

I find it pretty comical that you think everything that went wrong with the Jets was the fans fault, none of it was Ryan's fault, the coaches were all good but had nothing to work with, and that anyone who disagrees with you is whiny and unknowledgeable.

9. The_Darksider

And none of this provides a valid excuse for Sanchez hitting these shitty receivers on their shoelaces so often. Or making them strain their backs reaching back. Or giving up because the ball wasn't catchable.

The injuries are a poor excuse when you consider how many times he wasn't even close. To be fair, these guys dropped a lot of balls as well, but still, a good, professional QB would have made these guys at least serviceable.

10. The_Darksider

Except of course when you want to defend Rex Ryan. Then the past few years have EVERYTHING to do with 2012.

11. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Correct. I am very intelligent. Certainly far more intelligent than the so called "fans" who think that firing coaches every 3-4 years is anything other than a recipe for failure and chaos.

12. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Rex giving his blessing could mean next to nothing - all that could mean is that the personnel guys went to Rex and said "we think this guy is going to be great - do you have any major objections to us taking this player, who by the way we have studied and think is great?" and Rex not trying to kill the move. It doesnt mean that Rex was driving the selections.

13. TheGreenCantona

I doubt that anybody have said that firing coaches every 3-4 years is the recipe. Firing the coach is only the receipe if you have the wrong one.

To give Rex the right players and scheme, and he will fulfill his vision is a bit backwards by my accounts. First of all, RR doesn't have a clear vision, but if you buy into that he has, then he is responsible for the offence as well as defence and the 'schemes'.

14. Gunther

Gunther Member

You damn skippy. The general public and fans for the most part are not critical thinkers. They leave their brains at the door too much, and allow others to think for them. As you said, to change coaches every 3-4 years when we haven't won a Superbowl in over 40 years is foolish. Stop allowing owners and the media to use scape-goating as an excuse when any well run organization starts at top.

15. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I absolutely do, not in all decisions but I think they worry too much about fan reaction. I believe that's why we made the foolish trade for Favre, that's why Brian left and that's why Tannebaum is gone.

16. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

where do I think it's the fans fault? I blame the whiny fans for whining about firing everyone but the fans don't coach and don't play. It's just funny how we have a new scapegoat every year.

17. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

It could also mean that he can't evaluate talent very well from a player personnel perspective. I never said Rex was driving the selection. However he had input into all of their picks over the last 4 years so he has to be held accountable to some degree. This just highlights why the new GM pick is so crucial.

18. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Well then I will book mark this & laugh at U after our 2013 season ends :sad:

19. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Head coaches do not have time to evaluate talent they rely on their scouts and GM for that.

Any coach in the NFL would be a great scout if they had the time. They evaluate the talent when they get them on the field.

Do you really think Rex would not be better than Mike Mayock or Mel Kiper on the draft if they had the time (any head coach would).

People are so short sight it is amazing. Finding talent in the draft is based on scouting number of draft picks and where you select and the lower the pick the more it is about luck.

FA is about money and availability. The jets looked bad the last couple of years because they had no money.

When they had money they brought in FA likes Edwards, Holmes, PAce, Scott Leonard, Jenkins, LT

When they did not have money they brought in FA like Mason and Plax.

I like how nobody ever responds to that Tanny blew his wad in 2010 he went all in. He new it and if they won the SB he would get the time to rebuild he did not so they are where they are today.

He took a risk ruined Sanchez and set this franchise back because of it. You miss on a top 5 QB it kills your franchise and instead of biting the bullet he tried to restructure to get a little more talent in here we all know how that turned out.

This is not that hard to fugure out yet all the Blow it Up people just don't want to admit reality.

20. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Every team's FO is completely different. You can't just paint a broad brush like you just did and say that if every HC had the time they would be a better scout. That is patently untrue. In a perfect world that logic exists.

There's a reason some guys are better scouts than coaches. There's a reason some guys can play the game yet cannot coach it. Some of your premises above make it out to be too black and white which it is not.

In the Jets situation Rex had input over every draft pick under Tannenbaum. So he did have time to be involved to a degree in the draft picks. You're trying to absolve him of any accountability by saying that he was too busy. Well if he was too busy then they wouldn't have asked for his input about their picks. Not too hard to figure out.

And then you talk about draft picks being about getting lucky the lower that you pick. Well obviously. However luck is involved the higher that you pick as well. Just ask the Browns when they picked Tim Couch. Or when the Chargers picked Ryan Leaf? Or Akili Smith? Or Ki Jana Carter? Blair Thomas? I could go on and on and on for hours.

The draft is based on luck to a large degree whether you have the 1st pick or the 30th pick.