Ian O'Connor: "Weak Woody bamboozled by Rex"

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by klecko73, Jan 9, 2013.

1. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

Lol so what about guys like Mike Shanahan, Jeff Fisher, Brad Childress, Andy Reid, John Fox, Jim Mora? You know what they have in common with Rex? Championship game losses. Some of them a lot more credentials than Rex. Everybody on that list got fired though.

Clearly all those teams were dumb right. You don't get back to being a contender overnight after firing guys like that but clearly you don't ride a sinking ship into the ground just because you think or know a guy is a "good coach". Sometimes a downward trend is enough. Or wasting a season because you are playing favorites with the most important position on the field.

2. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

If he's helping with the search, then that tells us the GM will not be his boss but his colleague.

3. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Those lines from the article struck me as strange as well, to say the least. That alone discredited everything else he had to say. You can't learn how to develop a quarterback by just being in the same division or conference with HOFers. Maybe if Manning and Brady came into the league around the same time as Sanchez, you could make the argument he was trying to say Rex failed to learned anything from what their respective teams did during the same period. However, these guys are seasoned vets; their development was over long ago. In the words of Tony Montana "What you talkin crazy for [Ian]?"

4. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Hmmm...
    And interestingly enough Saban built a team around ground & pound and burning you off play action (see Amari Cooper), yet if called for, he's versitile enough to adapt his offense to combat an opposing team's run-focused defense (see: 2011 BCS Championship vs. LSU). His defensive credentials speak for themselves. That would definitely be a big balls move, but after yesterday's presser how could Woody pull the rug out from under Rex and hand Saban the keys?

Saban...drafting Chance Warmack...Barrett Jones....less cap come '14....Hmmmm...
    But that's all just a silly pipe dream - Saban's going nowhere.

#184 joe, Jan 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  5. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I like you, I think you are a good poster but you are making this discussion too easy.

Shanahan was fired after 14 years in Denver, post Elway when he sucked he still had 10 seasons in denver where he won a totla of 1 playoff game

Fisher was fired after 17 years, his first 4 years he didn't have a winning record. he won 5 playoff games in 17 years

Childress didn't have the success Rex had, he had a 1 year fluke catching lightining in a bottle w/ Favre and he still got 5 years

reid was in philly for 14 years

jim Mora never won a playoff game, he was w/ the Saints for 11 years despite not winning a playoff game. He was only in Indy 4 years but again was 0 for 2 in the playoffs so this is an awful comparison to rex.

No one is saying Rex will never desewrve to be fired but based on 4 years where he's been one of the best coaches in the game overall he deserves to kep his job for now.

6. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Which one of those guys kept their jobs as HC after their owner decidede to scap goat their GM?

If I'm not mistaken Shanahan won a SB and Fisher, Reid and Fox got to a SB. You know what ever coach has in common with every other coach wins and losses and an owner. Most of them have wives.

The Jets have two things in common with a few other teams. No SB appearances in the era after the merger took affect coupled with 20K PSL's.

7. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

A 34-30 record hardly makes him one of the best coaches in the NFL. And since when did making two AFC championship games make you a great coach? Philly fans hold the fact that Andy Reid went to 4 or 5 championship games and only got to the Super Bowl one time against him.

Yet some Jets fans, use the same argument as a ringing endorsement of Ryan's coaching ability.

8. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Reid was part of an organization that actually built those teams, Rex inherited a winning team with the best OL in football and a loaded D.

9. nyjunc

Philly fans got SPOILED, watch how fast they turn on the new coach when he doesn't get that far the first few years.

As of this moment he still has the most playoff wins of any HC, despite a brutally bad offense crippled by a million injuries he had us in the playoff race in december this year. he is an oustanding coach.

10. nyjunc

He inherited a team that had made 1 postseason the last 4 years and won 1 posteason game in the last 6 years(2 in the last 10 years). The loaded D was pretty mediocre the year before he took over and the only reason we had a winning record in 2008 was b/c the sched was so weak and Tom Brady was out.

11. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Ouch.

Left him bleeding worse than a vrigin after Prom Night,

12. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

This discussion of coaching is interesting to me. What makes a great HC? Winning or outperforming the talent advantage he has? Building a team that wins or simply being around at the right time.

Was Seifert a great HC?

The Jets had the bones of a pretty good D when Rex took over and Bart Scott got paid 11,500,000 to step in and start on the D when Rex came in along with Leonard and Shepard. We had the best OL in football when Rex came to the Jets and a very expensive D that was added to because of Rex. This wasn't a low payroll low talent team this was a team built to win in 08, 09 and 10 and they did just that. Was that Rex Ryan? Was Seifert the guy who made the 49ers great?

What about Rex makes him a great HC? Does he bring class and descipline to the organization, is he thoughtful, does he have a philosophical approach to coaching players and putting them in schemes on both sides of the ball to optimize their talent?

I see a very one demensional guy who when he had a great OL and cover D could do things to win. I'm not all that impressed by that.

#192 Biggs, Jan 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  13. nyjunc

No matter how much talent you have you still have to win.

The board tells me mark sanchez sucks and Bart Scott sucks yet we made 2 title games w/ these guys so how can Rex not gte any credit for being a top coach? The bottom line is the results.

People mock Phil jackson b/c he took over teams w/ Jordan and Kobe/Shaq but no one was winning w/ those guys before him, right? We had a boatload of talent in the late 90s, we went 1-15 in 1996 then 9-7 nearly making the playoffs w/ Parcells. You need talent but you also need coaching. The only example of not needing coaching was the Cowboys in 1995 w/ Switzer.

14. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Nice post, Biggs. I like the Seifert reference in particular. Not a bad man, but it's Walsh people talk about, not Seifert.

15. nyjunc

as far as Seifert, Bill Walsh built the Niners into a dynasty but Bill Walsh had Joe Montana. The 2 years Seifert had Montana he won the SB and was leading in the Championship game the next year until Montana got hurt. Steve Young was not a big game QB and they struggled to get back to the SB only doing so in '94 when the Cowboys were a mess in the year after they lost Jimmy Johnson but had Seifert had a healthy Montana he wins another couple of SBs and his perception is completely changed.

16. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

^I was talking about Jim Mora Jr actually.

Anyways, this is what I'm talking about. For each of these situations you want to look at specific context. Yet with Rex you always bring up the big picture and ignore the fact that going from 2 Championship game losses to 8-8 to 6-10 is a pretty clear trend. Anybody could do the same with the above coaches, breaking things down and looking at extenuating circumstances. "Sure they were in a bad trend, but hey, we know they can coach right??? Coach X won a SB so we know we can win with him!"

For the record, I think Rex is a good coach. I just don't think you can ignore the results and the trend of the results and only look to a guys best moment as the end of discussion.

I think you are a good poster too. You know your shit anyways. I just think you typically think everybody who is a Jet is good and if you just let things stay in place long enough that a SB is automatic when that is not really the case. Even with a good coach.

I don't really know how to respond to this because I don't know what you took issue with in my argument. What exactly is it you think I'm saying?

17. cval

cval Well-Known Member

The NFL has changed parity and QB play rule the day. What was the regular season record of the last two superbowl champs I can't seem to remember.

13-3, 12-5, 18-0?

How you do when you get there tells a lot about coaching and you team and when the Jets got into playoffs they made it to the AFCC game and could have should have beat the Steelers in 2010.

You like to spew the best o-line in football but what did Favre do with best o-line in football? If you give Tanny credit for building you have to give him credit for destroying.

Tanny mortgaged the farm to win the Superbowl in 2010 after that he began dismantling the team trying to find a home run in the draft by trading up. That has put this team in salary cap hell with not a lot of depth. Your best o-line is now not the best o-line is that on Rex or the person building the team the GM?

Tanny was given the benefit of the doubt with Mangini and Schotty and Rex is getting the benefit of the doubt with Tanny. Four playoffs wins gets you that.

Rebuilding a defense and still become top 10 gets you that.

18. Jon_Snow

Jon_Snow New Member

It's funny how ppl here cling to Rex like babies to their security blanket. Think about how we got into the playoffs (one time was a gift) and the teams we beat Chargers and Bengals (who don't have a playoff win in like 20 years). We've basically had ONE good season with Rex that's right ONE.

#198 Jon_Snow, Jan 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  19. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Jon,

Have you had one positive post yet?

20. nyjunc

it is a trend, a bad trend but that doesn't mean you throw him out. 2 title games was not a fluke especially needing to win 4 road games to get there. he's proven he can win, he's had a bad year and 3 games- that's not enough for me to want to get rid of him.

I don't ignore the last 2 years but I also don't throw a guy out b/c of a bad year or 2 when they have proven to me they can do the job.

I give my honest opinions, if they are Jets and I don't like them I voice that. no one was harderr on cromartie pre-2012 than I was but this year he was great. I bash guys when they deserve it and I praise when they deserve it. I bashed Rex and Sanchez this year for poor play but again I'm not giving up on them b/c of a bad year.

ewxcept for the little fact that SD had won a playoff game the year before and won 3 playoff games in the previous 2 years. is it tha hard to look things up so you don't post wrong info? this is basic info, the premise of your weak argument and you get it wrong.