Complete Review of all picks

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Jetfan76, Apr 28, 2012.

1. sogreedy23

sogreedy23 Member

So I've read a bunch about our picks, I'm beyond excited about our draft. Overall team speed just shot up, coupled with the fact that Rex told the team to slim down a bit and this is exciting. One big thing I've been wondering is if this team is moving toward more of a 4-3 base. I'm aware that Rex doesn't run a traditional 3-4, but with all the beef and skill we've got up front with Coples, Wilk, Pouha and the hopeful emergence of Ellis, we could see tons of 4 man fronts. Put Maybin and Pace as ends with Wilk and Coples in the tackle position and we'll be generating very nice interior pressure from the line. So what about our backers? Could dDavis hold down the middle as our ILB? His speed suggests that he can help cover sideline to sideline. I'll admit, my handle as far as OLB in the 43 system is much weaker, but what do you need in your backers here? Do we have the players in this scenario? Where would Harris, Thomas, Scott fit in with this? Thoughts?

2. Jonky

Jonky Banned

I will guarantee that none of his haters ever saw him play a down. He has all the physical attributes you want in a LB and now Ryan and Company have a chance to mold him. He may well turn out to be a flop, but I doubt it.

3. Jonky

Jonky Banned

The only LB in the draft that could cover Gronk? Based on what?

4. Cellar-door

Cellar-door Active Member

Wishful thinking? No LB in the NFL has been able to cover Gronk man up, I really doubt any rookie would be able to step in and do it. I think he meant that David was the best combination of fast cover LB in the draft, and as such had the most likelihood of succeeding against Gronk.

5. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Don't understand why downgrading Davis. I think this was a solid pick and the Jets just got a little faster at LB. It was a definite need and he was rated the 2nd strongest LB at the combine. He will make his bones this year on special teams but I think this was a good pick. Let's wait 3 years at least to grade a draft or at least evaluate one. At least Gholston got that LOL.

6. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

We have a lot more personnel to run more base 4-3-4 and 4-2-5 packages now with Coples and Davis. Should be interesting.

7. JETFIGHTERS

JETFIGHTERS Active Member

I love this draft. The Davis hate is only because of his size for an ILB.

Last years draft and the year before after were mostly reaches with the exception of Muhammed and Ellis.

This year I feel all the picks make the team. I feel we got 3 to four starters and my gut says 3 of them will be probowlers in the near furture.

8. CleveSteve

CleveSteve Active Member

Hey guys, interested to see how some of the Jets picks that I really liked going into the draft turned out. How did these guys do?

3rd round: Demario Davis
    6th round: Terrance Ganaway
    7th round: Antonio Allen

Thanks!

9. laxin

laxin Active Member

Demario Davis is still a huge question mark. Shows some promise but needs to develop mentally. Ganaway isnt even on the team and Allen doesnt even play. I like Antonio Allen, but the CS would rather play Eric Smith so that's that.

10. CleveSteve

CleveSteve Active Member

Thanks for the info. I see Ganaway was claimed by the Rams... I probably should have checked that out before posting.

11. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Demario Davis is similar to the Kenrick Ellis pick, very raw but huge potential and Rex is developing this defense into something special

Davis was my favorite pick

12. CleveSteve

CleveSteve Active Member

I loved the Kenrick Ellis pick for you guys. Thought he looked like a stud and a great value in the third.

13. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

He played very well whe healthy this year, sadly his health seems like an issue.

14. CodeGreen

CodeGreen Active Member

Like I said earlier in this thread, this class your going to have to be patient with

Also, I was wrong about Quinton Coples. Soooooooooooo happy I was wrong

15. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

man these bump threads are gold. thanks

16. duncc5

duncc5 Member

Still love our first three picks; although we definitely need to be patient, especially with Davis and Hill. Also still think that A Allen was great value in the 7th and hopefully he will see more time next year. Absolutely hate our 6th rounders looking back, though. We need to do a much better job of identifying value in the later rounds. Alfred Morris, Bryce Brown, Alfonzo Dennard, LaVon Brazill, Blair Walsh, and Greg Zuerlein were all 6th or 7th round picks. There were also several OL who at least stuck with their teams and didn't get cut. To have 5 picks in those rounds and strike out on all of those guys is rough.

17. CleveSteve

CleveSteve Active Member

LaVon Brazill did next to nothing, catching 11 passes on 24 targets; Blair Walsh & Greg Zuerlein (only made 23 of 31 FGA) are kickers and you're either drafting one or you're not; Bryce Brown is a chronic underachiever who ruins his opportunities (was the #1 RB recruit in the nation when Richardson was #2); and Alfonso Dennard punched a cop less than a week before the draft or he would have been a top-40 pick. I still don't understand how he wasn't suspended or given any jail time.

Alfred Morris was a great pick RB from a small school. Kudos to Washington for identifying him.

#57 CleveSteve, Jan 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  18. duncc5

duncc5 Member

I know what you're saying, but we're talking about 6th and 7th round picks. It just doesn't make sense to pass on guys because of character concerns that late in the draft. Even though BB is a chronic underachiever he probably has more talent than any RB on our roster... definitely more than Ganaway, at least.

My main point is that Brown (and obviously Morris) > Ganaway, Dennard > Bush, and honestly Brazil probably would have gotten significant playing time for us this year. Even in a limited role for Indy, he had 4 catches of 19+ yards... more than any WR on our team except Kerley. And if there is ever a time to pick a kicker, it's when you have 5 picks in the last two rounds. Folk isn't terrible, but when you have a shit offense you need all the help you can get. Walsh made 92% of his kicks and hit 10 FG's over 50 yds.

19. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Since Ganaway and Griffin were gone and I liked Ganaway's promise, this draft might be a C- from me.

Still a wait and see process though, at least for the 1st 3 guys.

20. CleveSteve

CleveSteve Active Member

OK, I can totally get on board with this point... that teams should be more willing to risk late picks on talented but troubled/injured players (wonder where Honey Badger, Knile Davis, and Duron Carter go this year,) I just thought you were trying to indicate that the players the JETS took weren't talented because they didn't know who was talented.

*edit* plus, I think Antonio Allen is one of those players. At SC he played mostly in the box showing good pass rushing instincts and being around the ball all the time, then at the senior bowl looked better in coverage than any other safety. Give him time, he was a rookie.

#60 CleveSteve, Jan 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2013