Ian O'Connor: "Weak Woody bamboozled by Rex"

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by klecko73, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

Woody Johnson is a lousy manager. Period. Unfortunately, he's the only person that can't be fired. And it feels very much like he's experimenting with the spotlight. My great fear is that, with the Superbowl coming into his building, we're going to see more and more of him. What I need as a fan right now is to NOT hear from Woody Johnson. A good manager right now would realize his own failings. He would hire a football guy as GM, let him take control of the show, and slink back into the background.

2. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I think it's the other way around, Bud.

Hopefully you have a good day too, I doubt it because you seem to enjoy the negative side of life, but I will continue to hope anyway.

Good day, Sir.

3. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

the man has more playoff wins than anyone in Jets history, he deserves more time.

if this was a guy that proved he couldn't win then maybe you think about a change.

I always use theGiants and Steelers before their latest SBs.

Bill Cowher made a bunch of title games and lost, did make 1 SB and lost(in a much weaker era for the AFC), he then went 3 straight playoffless seasons and yet wasn't fired. He wouldn't win a SB until his 14th year in Pittsburgh. Did patience pay off?

Tom Coughlin had come to the Giants from jax where he had 2 title game apps and no SBs. Through 3 years he hadn't won a playoff game and Eli didn't appear to be progressing.

Most "experts" and fans called for those guys to be fired, their teams stuck w/ them and won big. I don't know what the future holds but I know Rex deserves the chance to find out.

4. deathstar

deathstar Well-Known Member

From an outsider's perspective, that article seems to be a pretty accurate protrayal of what's going on with the Jets...

5. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I share the thoughts behind both Wahoo and Biggs's excellent posts above. Sadly.

Brad's defense of Woody is sad in a different way. I suppose I find myself in agreement with Brad as often as not, but sometimes, when we disagree, his position is almost mystifying to me.

Of course the overall record of the Jets since Woody bought the team is average. But surely we must also recognize the TREND of his ownership. Up and down, but overall trending down. When Woody bought the team the Jets had concluded a period where Parcells rebuilt the team and took it twenty minutes away from the SB, losing to a near great Broncos team at Mile High, one of the worst places to play on the road in the NFL to John F'ing Elway and his team.

Today? The Jets are nowhere near that.

Sure there were the Champ Game appearances in 9 and 10. But as Brad himself elsewhere notes and has complained, those were to a large extent bought with FA acquisitions that were the equivalent of a sugar high. Sure there were even earlier successes, to a large extent built on the acquisition of Curtis Martin and the draft picks that piled up with no credit to Woody's "management" of the Jets.

But we have also seen so much that has been awful, it is truly astounding. We all have our lists of "favorites". Mine include Edwards pissing on the team as he headed out to Kansas City, after presiding along with Bradway over a total mismanagement of particularly the OL and secondary. Or Chad and Fiedler both going down in the same game - didn't anyone realize Fiedler was even more fragile than Chad? How about relying on the total ineptitude of Clarke and Bender at LG? Trading up to get DRob. The sixth pick for Gholston. trading up to the fifth to get Sanchez. Losing to NE 45-3. Then there are several entries alone for the Steelers, and several others for the Ravens.

But the main point is the overall trend of Woody's ownership has been down, and that is where we find ourselves today.

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Or, god forbid, Donald Trump.

"The 2-7 Jets are working on their 4th head coach of the season this weekend. Former NY Jets equipment manager Charlie Boyd was promoted to head coach in one of the Donald's legendary tirades after the 13-0 loss to the Dolphins last weekend.

Boyd will coach with a noose around his neck on the sidelines this week as a warning to the many future coaches to come of the slippery slope that accepting the Jets head coaching job and not winning puts one on.

When asked for comment after his promotion all Boyd had to say was 'equipment manager, all I wanted to do was be equipment manager for the usual 30 years..." Trump's response when informed of the comments was 'N-F-L' and then over his shoulder to an aide 'can we get that tattooed on his forehead before the game?"

#86 Br4d, Jan 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  7. StealthDefense

StealthDefense Active Member

The funny thing is, I remeber the jets being 1-15 and 3-13. We may have tanked this season, but with injuries and what have you, i think at the least he has one more season to show he can make progess. But this media blitz and the new fav word "Circus" is the real joke. These reporters are fucking clown shoes..

I wear my green with pride. I still love my team. Wish I could read a meaningful news report though...

8. Big Blocker

I certainly hope psychology is not your field, because you would also be unemmployed most likely. Being realistic about the Jets does not prevent me from enjoying other parts of my life (although I will admit this is not my favorite time of the year).

So don't worry about me. I would worry about the Jets if I were you.

9. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

First of all, I always love reading your posts.

I truly feel that next year has great potential to be a 4-12 type season for all the reasons you listed (No QB, salary cap, etc).

My question is this: If the Jets go say, 6-10 or worse again, can Woody really keep Rex? I'd imagine even patient Jets fans at that point will be fed up. That would be 3 years in a row without a playoff appearance, which I believe hasn't happened since the mid 90's.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd think that would equate to empty seats, more vitriol from the media (justified or not), and maybe the potential for many fans to give up their season tix if changes aren't made. I'd think the fear of that alone would force Woody's hand. Then again, nothing would surprise me.

10. deathstar

Although Ross is a clown like Woody, the power structure here correctly eminates from the owner...

The GM or coach isn't more powerful than the owner.

Woody's just being pushed around by Rex and it looks like 2013 is going to be more of the same.

He should have known to fix the circus in 2013 an outside, powerful GM should be brought in...But it doesn't look like that's going to happen...I guess Woody likes the media attention, no matter if positive or negative.

#90 deathstar, Jan 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  11. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

Jesus not everyone is stellar in front of crowds, the guy is a billionaire who the fuck is Ian O'Connor? What a load of shit on a screen I just read. I mean this shit is ridiculous, he's the owner, he writes the check he doesn't have to be a Mark Cuban type asshole to own a professional team.

I can't think of a bigger waste of time than complaining about an owner, there is absolutely nothing that will change that, don't even waste your breath.

12. Big Blocker

Brad,

THe fun you have making up fantasies of other possible owners for the Jets does not excuse Woody's ineptitude. Perhaps I might even agree that the market conditions affecting ownership are problematic, tending to bring in more people like the Spanos's, the shit show that owns Miami now, the Snyders, et al, as compared to the Rooneys, the Maras, the Hunts, and that sort. But that doesn't make Woody a good owner.

13. deathstar

You could have addressed the actual words in the article...

It seems you read the title and that's it.

14. cval

cval Well-Known Member

The shocking thing people are surprised by this. Tanny new what he did with the Cap and the roster he knew he went all in 2010 and it almost worked out.

Tanny knew was putting band-aids on the problems in 2011 and hoping Sanchez and the defense could mask the issues. It almost worked in 2011 (but you don't hide an o-line that is that bad) he started rebuilding in 2012 and he might have survived if Sanchez played better or the injury bug did not hit. This all says Ryan is a pretty good coach.

It is amazing the Jets won six games with this roster and might have made the playoffs if they beat Tennessee. The steelers lost to the Tebow Broncos on Dumb coaching last season and collapsed down the stretch this season you do not see them firing their coach. Why because they are a good organization.

15. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

Uhhh I did:

Complete joke of an article, now we're basically calling the owner a nerd desperately wanting to be a jock? I mean this is the most ridiculous shit I've yet to date.

"Buddies with the tatted up Ryan" are you fucking kidding me? this is so dumb...

16. Jon_Snow

Jon_Snow New Member

Like it or not we could go 0-16 and Woody would not be obligated to fire Rex. If you haven't already noticed Woody doesn't seem to care about the opinions of anyone outside the organization.

17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Thanks, I enjoy writing them too and interacting with the people who write back so to speak.

Empty seats is a big factor, even more so than the record in my opinion. If Rex puts an entertaining product on the field and the Jets go 6-10 with the seats mostly filled I expect he'd stay on for 2014.

If he goes 9-7 and misses the playoffs but the Jets for whatever reason have a lot of no-shows and unsold tickets I'd expect he goes.

18. Ted

Ted Member

Let me rephrase it. Obviously owners have final say but that doesnt mean they exercise that in all decisions. Owners hire the GM but GMs can choose coaches, although some owners may ignore the GMs choice and pick their own guy. Stephen Ross is a good example there.

What I was referring to is that the majority of owners dont get deep in the weeds on player personnel. The post I responded to was the GM and Coach both reporting to the owner separately which can cause issues within the chain of command.

19. deathstar

No way in hell the pissed of season ticket holders would consider losing (6-10) an entertaining product...

20. Ted

Ted Member

Brother if you would like to debate football I'm all in. I'm not here to exchange cheap shots.