Looks like Gamble might be our guy.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jollygreenjet, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Realistic Jets Fan

So wait..

You're unhappy because he's not a current or former GM?

Seems to me all the really good current GMs are employed by other teams and all the formers are either retired like Pollian or fired.

Matt Millen meets your previous GM requirement..maybe the Jets should go after him....or just resign Tannenblows

2. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

What????

When did I say that???

I said Gamble doesn't have GM experience, I'm not unhappy about it. I was making the point that all of the Jets Gms candidates haven't been GMs and no body knows who is better.

3. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

He has all the credentials for the job. I've learned not to get to excited about GM hires anymore. I'll wait till I start seeing results.

4. Laszlo Kovacs

Laszlo Kovacs Active Member

I wonder what his explanation for the AJ Jenkins pick is. Harbaugh demanded it or the dog ate the draft board?

5. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Gamble didn't make the pick, Trent Baalke, the 49er's GM did.

6. Matty Jets

Matty Jets Well-Known Member

It's too early to evaluate the Jenkins pick anyway.

7. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Gamble sounds good. I'm not sure how people evaluate GMs. It's not like being a coach where we can point to things he's done well directly. How do we know how much impact certain people have?

I hope he's a good choice. He sounds like a good choice, and he sounds like the #1 choice, which is hopefully a good thing. But I'm not going to lie and say I have any idea who the best candidates are.

If it's Gamble, welcome aboard.

8. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Gamble sounds good. I'm not sure how people evaluate GMs. It's not like being a coach where we can point to things he's done well directly. How do we know how much impact certain people have?

I hope he's a good choice. He sounds like a good choice, and he sounds like the #1 choice, which is hopefully a good thing. But I'm not going to lie and say I have any idea who the best candidates are.

If it's Gamble, welcome aboard.

9. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Only thing you can really evaluate is their exposure to certain philosophies. As has been pointed out already there is no way to know for sure what the individual thinks... but you can get a sense of what they've been around and that should help identify at the very least how they may have been trained.

I'd prefer Dorsey or Caldwell simply by the fact that both of those teams have tremendous offenses and have done a superb job of drafting those offenses. I see the 49ers and see a more defensively oriented team with some good pieces on offense... which is great and all, but the Jets REALLY need help on offense. Then again as pointed out Gamble was with the Colts when they had a lot of success, particularly on the offensive side of the ball as well. He's been exposed to a lot of success. I'm just not certain he comes from a better offensive philosophy than Caldwell or Dorsey. Doesn't mean shit really, since we don't know jack about their actual contributions to the whole thing.

10. AJW

AJW Well-Known Member

Bingo!!!! We have a winner.

11. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i am right there with you mack. like xx said its just looking at what they have been exposed to as there is no way to really know what the guys vision is or how he plans to put his vision together. because he has never been in a position to have a vision and put the pieces together to fulfill that vision.

that is the reason i am getting so frustrated with many of the posters in this thread, they want everything to be great and think they have some kind of an idea because somebody once mentioned the guy on some website or talk radio show so they are coming on here telling us all how this is the right guy.

my faith has to be in woody at this point... scary as it is to say that.

and i hope the guy comes in and does an awesome job. its fun to move into a new era, full of excitement like its christmas morning and you have presents to open.

12. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

None of the GM's outside of Heckert have GM experience.
    That is the norm.

Caldwell has only 1 year of Director of Personell.
    Ross i don't believe has a diverse realm of experience either...don't remember exactly how much off hand.

Dorsey has 30+ years experience in a broad range of jobs.
    Gamble doesn't quite have the Dorsey experience, but has had a broad range of jobs, including college scout, head of college scouts, FA talent evaluator, and director of personnel.

I don't know that the experience makes him better, but it does make me a bit more comfortable.
    i also like the physical style of talent that SF has been bringing in lately, which i have to assume Gamble had some influence in, despite not being GM with final say. Seems like a good choice and a good fit for the Jets.

13. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

Since a GM plays a role in all aspects of personel decisions I think you can make a pretty good case for or against a GM's ability over a course of a few years, no less than 5 though. You really can't judge a GM the first year or two of his regime if he's coming in after the previous GM was fired, it usually takes at least one or two years just to clean up the mess a previous GM made.

But, to me anyways, a good GM listens to his scouting department, listens to his Head coach and melds the two often opposing viewpoints in to a workable solution. As long as Rex is the Head Coach of the Jets the team is going to be a defensively based team, that's Rex's strength. But, he thinks like a defensive coach when the teams on offense.

The best thing that could happen to the Jets is to get a strong willed OC that will "fight" Rex to loosen up the offense abit and not just cowtow. That doesn't mean the two should literally fight or argue, but rather be strong enough in will to make his case for a more open offense.

14. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I don't think we even need a GM.

Let Rex buy the groceries and promote our assistant GM to sign the checks.

15. mo_lewis

mo_lewis New Member

Exactly. If the NYJ are not going to contend for a championship in 2013, there is no reason not to go 2-14. Is 8-8 better than 2-14?

16. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

This move tells me that Rex runs the show and is the teacher's (Woody) pet. I don't think Rex will be a lame duck coach under Gamble.

17. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

What the fuck are you talking about.

You do realize Rex is on vacation, right? Unless he has telepathy, he can't influence Woody thousands of miles away.

Shit, some of our fans act like mouthbreathers...

18. cambam71

cambam71 Member

Good point, telephones and computers only work under 1000 miles away.

Not saying Rex is, but come on.....

19. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

Same situation the Bears were in with Lovie Smith...new GM with a coach that has had success but not consistent with the offense.

Gave him one year to turn things around - brought in Brandon Marshall and Michael Bush and still couldn't get the O playing consistent. They moved on.

Bring in Norv Turner, have a QB battle, have some weapons for Sanchez, and see how Rex does when told he need the offense to perform better or he is gone.

If the guy comes back and put up a solid all around team on both sides of the ball they are set for 2014...if not who will expect much out of the Jets in 2013 anyway?

20. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

I'm just saying that there is a less than one percent chance that Rex is actively influencing his boss about picking his boss in the Bahamas.