Looks like Gamble might be our guy.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jollygreenjet, Jan 5, 2013.

1. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I'd be surprised if Gamble brought in Alex Smith. If I understand correctly, he drafted Kaepernick.

2. lakersmetsjets49ers

He'll play decent under a good coach and coordinator. He's one of those qb's that prior to harbaugh was tainted by the west coast jets like circus from 2005-10. If the jets make improvements on offense he's a viable transitional option

3. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

The 49ers are gonna want something for Smith, at this point we can't afford to trade away draft picks for a game manager (Smith) or a unknown entity (Flynn) if (when) Vick gets cut that woud be my top choice.

4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

This sounds like a gamble.

5. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Vick would be a complete and utter waste. Considering the Jets need a ground up rebuild we don't need an unconventional qb whose game didn't work when it was in its prime, much less now.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

6. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Let's get this correct, Gamble has never been a GM and didn't draft anyone.

It's like saying Joey Clinkscales drafted the Jets players, Gamble, like Clinkscales, just oversaw the scouts and got info for the GM and HC. Gamble could have made a recommendation, but didn't make the final decisions.

Trent Baalke is the GM and handles the draft with Harbaugh.

Gamble was director of Scouting, a position held for only 2 seasons. A lot of football experience, but not a lot of Higher Mgmt experience. Gamble is well liked in the 49er organization.

7. Montana

Montana Member

Tom Gamble was in charge of scouting potential FA's from 2005 through 2012.....he then added the role of college scouting to his job duties in 2010 (including the 2010 draft)...

Here's a list of some notable people drafted during that span or acquired as free agents/via trade...(with a clear caveat; I'm in no way suggesting that he's responsible for all these picks/signings, only that given his role these were the player acquisitions that might have involved his input)

Aldon Smith
    Navarro Bowman
    Colin Kaepernick
    Mario Manningham
    Randy Moss
    Donte Whitner
    Carlos Rodgers
    Perrish Cox

Mike Iupati
    Anthony Davis (starting right tackle)
    Chris Culliver (nickel back, 48 tackles, 14 pass deflections, 2 INT's)
    Joe Looney (back up guard)
    LaMicheal James
    Bruce Miller (starting FB)
    Daniel Kilgore (backup Center)
    Kendall Hunter
    AJ Jenkins
    Anthony Dixon
    Kyle Williams
    Garret Celek

Rough list, and I'm sure there's plenty I've left out (primarily late round picks from those years, that have been cut, or haven't received significant playing time)....but for the most part this seems like the names that Gamble could have had a hand in scouting/help to bring in.

#147 Montana, Jan 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  8. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I wouldn't mind him for a year or 2. If our best option is Smith or Campbell, I would say OK to Vick. With a smart OC, he might be valuable.

9. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Left off last year's 1st Round pick at #30...AJ Jenkins WR...a huge reach in Round 1.

10. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

From a talent perspective he would be the best player available. Give him a strong run game, and a improved o line and decent weapons at receiver (Holmes, Edwards??, Kerley, Hill) and that could be a good team.

11. SyracuseJet

SyracuseJet Well-Known Member

I'd probably become suicidal if we went after Vick. I'd rather have Smith.

12. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Having Vick affects the scheme the entire offense has to play in. Technique, routes, speed, etc. Players don't play their position in a vacuum. If we're going to have a qb hold the fort, it should be someone who runs the same system our future franchise qb runs.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

13. SyracuseJet

SyracuseJet Well-Known Member

^ That. And no increase in completion percentage from what we have.

14. Realistic Jets Fan

Matt Moore

1) costs no draft picks of which we have none to give away and which Tannenblows who liked to give them away for trinkets is GONE

2) is better than either Alex Smith or Matt Flynn, both of whom would cost the Jets draft picks

NO JOKE

15. Montana

Montana Member

Cheers, added him to the list.

16. PuMa

PuMa Banned

Tom Gamble is just the first step to success. We need to get him here sign Norv and begin building i would be more then happy to have Gamble come in.

17. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Ok, we get it, the joke is getting old. Enough with the Moore > Smith stuff. First time was funny. This time, not so much.

18. deathstar

deathstar Well-Known Member

Already used. Some new material please. :up:

19. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

matt moore might not be a bad choice, its not like anybody can say here that he hasnt done well against the jets.

i dont think we could really win big with him, but he might prove to be good enough, never know. i think he got the shaft down in miami with tannehill, but he seems like he is comfortable coming in and competing and being a good back up, so if worse case scenario mark sanchez wins the comp and starts for us, moore will still be working and waiting to take over.

i dunno, none of the options out there really seem to make much sense just yet, considering how hard it will be to trade sanchez and i dont think giving up draft picks for a guy like matt flynn or alex smith when with these guys its likely we will still have to draft our qb of the future. so i dont know.

20. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Vick? This guy is terrible on the field & he's too stupid off the field. Might as well stick with Sanchez. Vick's days of being a franchise QB are long gone.