Jets are Projected to Draft 9th

Discussion in 'Draft' started by 1968jetsfan, Oct 7, 2012.

1. johnmr718

johnmr718 New Member

Warmack is the best option at 9, if not him then a pass rushing linebacker

2. JackTheFootballGuru

JackTheFootballGuru New Member

Warmack best option at #9??? Taking him in the top 20 is ridiculous. HE IS A GUARD! Guards don't make enough impact! That's why they never go in the first round except for this year and last year all of a sudden. Also, please stop acting like he is a sure thing and gonna be a probowler year 1! He's overrated because he was the best player on the best Oline in college. Resign Slauson and the difference between the two will have MINIMAL impact on the offense.

Go ahead and watch him play against LSU on youtube. (I can't post links) He plays ok. Just as well as the other 4 o-lineman on that team. He even gets his lunch eaten a few times.

Please... taking a guard in the top ten is absolutely absurd.

3. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

I get it that Chance Warmack is good and I'd love to have him but I don't really understand why everyone in the draft section seems to be obsessed with him. Is there something Im missing?

4. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

Guards never go in the 1st round?:rofl:

Warmack is a great guard and will be a special one. He'll go top 15, which is why I wouldn't be opposed to trading back to get him.

5. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

They never go in the first round, expect each year since 2004.

Interior lineman never used to get big contracts untill Steve Hutchinson broke the mold in 2006. It was not a shock that Seattle's run game fell off after he left.

If you want to be a power run team you need to draft lineman high. Now I would rather get Matthews or Lewan, but Warmack is by no means a bad pick for us. Sure 9 is traditionally too high and there are going to players available I would rather have, but he is far and away the best player that fits a huge need. Do ou let 5 or 6 draft spots of value keep you from fixing a oline who's returning guards are Ducasse and Schlauderaff right now?

6. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

I don't think I'd take Warmack at 9. I have no problem moving back for him, as I mentioned in my post.

7. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I understand where your coming from to a point. At nine one of Jordan, Matthews, Lewan, or Ansah should be around and I like all of those players for our team more. On the other hand you have to ask your self, does this pick fix a problem? It would and a big one. I would not be unhappy with him at our pick despite the perceived value of the player because its the best fix to a huge problem.

8. JackTheFootballGuru

9 guards have been drafted in first round since 2000. Most of them are guys who were either expected to move to tackle or did. (Ex. Branden Albert). Guess how many of those 9 have made a probowl? 2.

Last true guard to be picked in the top 10 was Chris Naeole in 1997...

Show me what makes Warmack special. I watched 4 or 5 games of him. I don't see him playing dominant. In fact, the pocket collapses on him a good amount and it's not like he doesn't ever get beat in pass pro. Go ahead and watch him vs LSU.

He is often between his guy and the ballcarrier, and definately can stay on his blocks. However, he does not get much movement on guys. Too often he gets beat off the snap too. 3-4 times at least on each film his guy is in the backfield.

He is definitely good, but come on... Half the plays he is double teaming with other future NFL players. People act like he's a dominant player and i'm yet to see him play dominant besides a few plays here and there. He consistently played solid for sure though. Nothing overwhelming.

Even if, by the grace of god, has a career like Steve Hutchinson (best case scenario) i'm not sure he's worth a #9 pick. Barkevious Mingo/Jarvis Jones/Bjoern Werner over Garret Mcintyre has way more improvement in the present and in the future than Warmack over Slauson.

9. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

So, you've watched LSU and include Mingo as a viable pick over Warmack. Really? Mingo for all his physical talent shows little on the feild. I would not touch him in round one.

10. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

I like all of those individual players more as well.

But the Jets have had as few draft picks in the league as any other team. As much as I want a stud player, trading down could also get us some very good players, and more of them.

If the Jets draft a defensive player at 9, and right now it looks like that is the best option, then it BETTER be a successful choice, because we'd be further neglecting the offense.

11. JackTheFootballGuru

And like I said... him having a career like Hutchinson is a long shot. Hutchinson was great. It's much more likely he has a career similar to Brandon Moore, or he busts.

I dislike when people act like linemen can't bust too. Linemen constantly bust so no, we might not be "adding a probowler next to mangold and brick for the next ten years". 2 out of 9 first round guards go to probowl. Less than 25%!!!

12. JackTheFootballGuru

I watch most LSU games, and while you are right, he is a risk and played very poorly this year, I don't dislike him. I'm not sure what happened this year, as too often he didn't even use his ahleticism and played with his hands.

However, I watched him in 2011 lead the sec in tackles for loss and constantly cause havoc in partial playing time.

With Rex coaching him up, I wouldn't mind him to the Jets at all.

13. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

Personally, and this is no secret from me at this point. I'm for trading down alot this year. the 2nd and 3rd rounds have a ton of very good players that the Jets could plug a lot of holes with. Any probowlers? Probably not. But one or two probowl players drafted this year isn't much help unless you want to go through a 3 year rebuilding.

14. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

Easier said than done to just keep trading down. There has to be a team desperate enough to trade up to take a player you don't mind passing up.

Honestly, besides the later rounds, I don't see us being able to trade down.

15. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

my top 5

1. Manti Te'o (ILB, Notre Dame)
    2. Chance Warmack (OG, Alabama)
    3. Jake Matthews (OT, Texas A&M)
    4. Bjoern Werner (DE, Florida State)
    5. Taylor Lewan (OT, Michigan)

16. BamaZeus

BamaZeus Member

why do we go from 9th to 8th to 10th, etc, each round?

17. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

Newbie.. I liked 2 qbs in this years draft now just 1. Geno and Glennon. Glendon threw 3 picks today which is not what we need. Geno has thrown 6 all year. The only qb we should take in the first five rounds is Geno at #9 if possible.

18. JackTheFootballGuru

My top 5:
    1. Bjoern Werner
    2. Manti Te'o
    3. Jarvis Jones (could move up or down depending on health)
    4. Barkevious Mingo
    5. Geno Smith

19. Cellar-door

Cellar-door Active Member

I think #9 is too high for a guard, but some of the best guards in the league recently have been 1st rounders:
    Mankins
    Grubbs
    Joseph
    Hutchinson
    Faneca
    Andrews
    Brown
    Davis (drafted as a tackle though)

Going back to 2007 that is 21 Pro-Bowl spots at G for players drafted in the 1st to 18 for those drafted in any other round. several of the non-1st slots are filled by Snee who was drafted at 34.
    Basically nowadays if you want a top G you need to get him much earlier than back in the day when they were afterthoughts.

#239 Cellar-door, Dec 31, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  20. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Yeah, I wouldn't go guard at 9. That's too rich for my blood. That's why I'd rather trade down. If we stay at 9, I don't really want Warmack.