Potential QBs In The Draft

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JetFanInPA, Dec 19, 2012.

1. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Yeah the trading back could be an interesting strategy. More picks is not a bad thing. Who know, if we do get a new GM, how they will want to approach fixing this team up.

2. laxin

laxin Active Member

I would love to trade back multiple times and end up with 6-8 picks in the first 4 rounds... Rebuild this roster- OL, skill positions, OLB and maybe a QB depending on the value.

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Kaepernick was taken on the 36, Dalton on the 35. Wilson is an anomaly because of his height.

The question is where the good QB's taken after the 1st are and the answer is overwhelmingly in the first 4 picks of the 2nd and the 6th round.

First 4 picks of the second since 1993: Drew Brees, Kevin Kolb, Andy Dalton, Colin Kaepernick. That's not a select list - that's ALL of them.

Other 2nd rounders who started at least one season in the NFL: Todd Collins, Kordell Stewart, Tony Banks, Jake Plummer, Charlie Batch, Shaun King, Quincy Carter, Tarvaris Jackson, Chad Henne. Again, not a select list, that's ALL of them.

Who are the best QB's not taken by the 36 pick since 1993: Tom Brady, Matt Hasselbeck, Jake Plummer and Marc Bulger. 3 taken in the 6th round and one in the 2nd. Matt Schaub will pick off Bulger sometime in 2014 if he stays healthy. He was a 3rd round pick.

4. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

The only QB I maybe take a chance on is Landry Jones. Really depends on how many draft picks we have. I haven't read this thread yet, but what is everyone's feeling here on Landry? I've seen some things out of him that I really like, but he could be another Mark Sanchez with some of his dumb decisions. Really looking forward to seeing him in the Cotton Bowl to see how performs on the big stage in his final college game.

5. major33

You have Landry Jones going in the 6th round? Yikes! I was thinking more like 2nd round. If he does well in the Cotton Bowl I could even see him sneak into round 1. But I could be very wrong.

6. Br4d

Most of the gunners in this years draft are going to go in the 2nd and 3rd. Given that they're mostly going to fail and maybe one of them will turn into an above average QB I think the 6th is where they'd have value.

If you're going to take a QB who is like a 10% chance to turn into an above average QB the 2nd and 3rd rounds is not the place to make that pick.

7. major33

But that's not what I was saying. I see Landry Jones going in the 2nd round, not 6th like you suggested.

Also, I think Jones does have a strong arm. He's a work in progress as far as technique goes, but I believe there's some potential there. Again, he's someone I would consider in this draft only if I have a lot of extra picks. However, out of all the QB's in this draft, Landry Jones intrigues me the most.

8. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Good posts. While getting a QB is one of the needs, imo we can get a solid pick up in mid rounds. Which QBs is that, I leave that up to the you guys and the scouts. My preference is to grab a proven starter from the FA. Then grab a QB with running capability and good arm like Kapernick. If I had take a vote, I think Bray and Wilson are top two QBs that should get a lot of starts down the road.

9. heartpumpsgreen

heartpumpsgreen Active Member

I've watched all the highlights of the top QBs on youtube, and I have to say, I might be in the minority here, but I am most impressed with Ryan Nassib. The guy makes all the throws, on time, in rhythm. He seems to have a powerful arm too, and some moxy. From what my eyes tell me, and reading the recent insiders opinions... I think Nassib is going to get a lot of buzz, and he will definitely be a 1st round pick, maybe early 2nd. But he looks better than anyone else .. if u look at his highlights I think you'd feel this way too. I'd be on board if the Jets draft him in first or second round ... maybe they can move back a little bit in the first, and still get him. He reminds me of Drew Brees with better height.

10. cromartiecove31

cromartiecove31 New Member

Mike Glennon just resembles Joe Flacco so much, huge arm, very big, not great pocket mobility, this guy seems good for us in round 2 and I would love Ryan Nassib in the late 2nd or early 3rd (if we trade back)

11. laxin

laxin Active Member

I do agree with Nassib, but just for future reference try and watch more than highlight videos (especially with QBs) because you need to get a sense of their overall game, not just a few throws here and there... For instance, Im sure Sanchez looks pretty good on his highlight reel.

A good website that has a ton of film is draft breakdown.com

12. cromartiecove31

YouTube actually has a quarterbacks full game highlights ( showing every single throw) that's a good place to find tape

13. cromartiecove31

14. Win4ever

Win4ever New Member

I tend to watch those youtube videos with all the throws as my "scouting" as well, and try to read articles about that QB to supplement what I'm reading. I wasn't as impressed with Nassib as others to be honest. I thought he had a distinct tendency to either over-throw or under-throw his WRs (which is something Sanchez does with regularity as well), while not having enough touch on the short yard throws. But he does have a very good arm. If it cost a 3rd pick or worse, I'd take a shot, but I'm not sure I would go with a second round pick on him.

If we are bargain hunting: I still like EJ Manuel or Logan Thomas as guys that have all the physical tools, but need coaching. I'd rather aim for the moon than try to see if someone can be an average NFL QB.

15. cromartiecove31

Yeah we all got to do that type of scouting and get legit insight, and I am pretty sure Logan Thomas is returning for his senior season

16. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

I am loving this, Nassib has a cannon for an arm and can make every throw. He has good footwork and pocket presence. He isnt the tallest guy but is strong and very muscular. He is the guy to get, he is everything that Mark isnt

17. heartpumpsgreen

heartpumpsgreen Active Member

Laxin,

I definitely agree with you about being careful on highlights, but the youtube clips I am talking about refer are about 7-10 minutes each and also show the missed throws and picks ... It is actually an awesome time to be a fan of a high drafting team in the modern era of youtube :) Could you imagine 10 years ago, there'd be like 1 or 2 guys here that actually watched the games, then everyone else solely going off of what others have written. Anyway ...

I spent about 2 hours watching Barkley, Smith (please stay away!!, He can't even hold RG3's jockstrap), Glennon, Nassib, and Wilson. I had preconceived notions that I'd come away loving Smith (Boy, was I wrong, he is a total NCAA system QB, and I was not impressed even with his "highlights", he just doesn't look like an NFL QB). I was lukewarm with Glennon and Wilson. I checked out Nassib just because his name has floated around on here a bit, and he stole the show!!

Every year a college QB (or 2) seems to fly out of nowhere into the 1st round (last year Tennehill). THis year, I would boldly predict that Nassib will be a 1st round pick, because while I am not an NFL scout, surely, the pros will study and will see what I saw. And what did I see ... yes, he missed a couple throws, didn't but touch on a few that sailed, one deep throw (a very deep throw) was short and the wr had to come back for it to make the catch. But I saw him make all the "tough" NFL throws against top college comp. I saw him float a beaut of a ball behind linebackers, in front of a safety to a speedy, streaking wr with pinpoint accuracy. His short passes on quick slants and quick outs were sharp, smooth, and on time. It looked effortless, and those are the types of throws that ppl overlook or just assume any QB could make, well as we see with Mark Sanchez ... Wrong! I saw him execute a 25 yard deep out with timing and precision, before the guy made his cut, and while facing pressure. As for the reports I've read criticizing his "touch" passes. Umm, I don't know, sure he missed a couple, but I saw him lay out some beautiful touch passes, some of them deep, and one in the Louisville game, a back corner end zone throw absolutely perfect. PLease watch the extended Nassib clips in the Missouri, Louisville, Northwstern, and USC games (stiff comp). Then really tell me what you think. And on top of that, the thing that made me really take notice was a play in which he was backed up on his own goal line, and in a full scramble to his right, full sprint, from his own 3 yard line he flicked his wrist in a jiffy, and the ball travelled a whopping 60 yards in the air, and it traveled in a hurry. I've read reports say that his arm is above average, well I am sorry, but thats a cannon. HIs release is lightning quick, a la Brees, which is where I get that comparison. And he seems to bring his team back when down, and down big ... He did it multiple times. Again, Brees like. Strong Drew Brees comparison in my humble opinion.

Anyway, I do think he has footwork issues, as he throws off balance at times (resulting in poor accuracy), and he throws off the wrong foot when surrounded by pressure in the pocket ... but I believe that these things are totally fixable. Besides this he has the raw skills, and what I think are excellent instincts. Ryan Nassib is the gem of this QB class in the draft. 1st round pick. Trust. Others will see.

Now, I am new to this board, and I'm not so sure I really think the Jets should draft a QB in round 1 or 2, bc I feel like their biggest needs are a legit OT or OG, and a premiere pass rusher, but I look forward to sharing views with you all in the next 4 months :)

18. displacedfan

Chris Nimbley ‏@Cnimbley
    The need for a QB should never be so important that you reach for a bad QB, it doesn't do anyone any good. #Jets

This tweet sums up my feelings on drafting a QB and I think many others in here.

19. Br4d

Yep. Playing a guy for a year because you have nobody better is a lot different than drafting a guy up high and then being stuck with him for years.

I wish I saw some good QB's I thought might fall to the Jets at 9 but I don't. The upside for the guys in this draft is Jay Cutler and it's not clear who is going to be the guy(s) to do that.

20. displacedfan

Yeah, I might be open to taking a QB if they slid to us in the second round at #9, but I'm not sure if that's even helpful to us or a waste.