Potential QBs In The Draft

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JetFanInPA, Dec 19, 2012.

1. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

It doesn't help him, it can only hurt. A 7-6 record isn't exactly a vote of confidence to NFL teams.

Smith isn't worth a high 1st rd pick, but it only takes one desparate team to draft him.

2. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

We can't afford A Smith and Sanchez's contract...it sounds great but isn't realistic.

Vick won't be a Jet, a new GM is going to control our personnel, God forbid Woody makes any decisions.

3. Jett

Jett Member

i would take Glennon, he could be the real deal. Much higher ceiling than what Mark had coming out and is a lot safer pick.

4. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

I'm interested to see what he'll do in the Senior Bowl, but he's locked in the first round IMO, too many teams willing to reach.

5. JohnnyThaJet

The way I look at it, I would have never expected to trade for Tebow, so a Vick signing wouldnt be a surprise to me (simply becuase I've given up on ownership).

How much do you expect Smith to make? 8-10 a year? I dont see any other options that are serviceable. Maybe Moore but I dont have much confidence in him.

6. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

No new GM worth their salt would let Woody make the decision to sign Vick.

You think we would invest 17+ Million on 2 QBs?? Not going to happen.

The Jets are probably stuck drafting a QB high until the solid 2014 QB class.

7. JohnnyThaJet

I hate to say it but I hope we suck next year. I'd love to draft more offensive players this year, build the line, draft some more weapons on the receiving end, and draft in the top 7 in 2014.

Then obviously build around one of those top QBs next year. But thats pretty obvious to all who know this team (hopefully the staff as well).

8. laxin

laxin Active Member

He plays must bigger than that. When I watch him play he seems much bigger than 6'1. I wouldnt peg him at anything shorter than 6'2, but we'll see.

Sadly, I think Sanchez will be on the roster too. I dont want him here, but because of his contract, he probably will be.

9. laxin

laxin Active Member

That would definitely be an ideal scenario. But this is the Jets, so nothing will go as planned...

I really hope we load up on offensive talent this year... Whether is at the skill position or OL (or preferably both).

10. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

After watching Nassib all season long the kid has a huge arm. It showed in that dog shit weather again yesterday. He really had a good game, his wideouts dropped several passes. I really think Nassib is the kid to get. He might not be 6'6" but he is plenty strong enough that he is hard to bring down...

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

There's nobody worth spending a 1st round pick on. You can make an argument for Geno Smith or Matt Barkley on the 42 but by that point the odds that they're really good are low because they got to the 42.

In the 6th round you could take Mike Glennon or Tyler Wilson or Landry Jones and maybe get lucky.

12. Mangold Goldman

QBs are constantly picked higher than they should be, just the way it is if you want one you are usually going to have to reach.

BTW, wdf are you talking about those QBs you listed aren't approaching the 6th round, and they'd be good picks in much earlier rounds.

13. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Does it make sense, I really don't want to draft a QB in the top 10? I don't see anyone worth it and would rather bulk up the OL or LB core in the first 2 roudns. If a QB expected to go high in the first slides to us in the 2nd, maybe scoop thme up.

14. laxin

laxin Active Member

You may see them as only 5th or 6th round prospects, but I guarantee that all are gone by the 4th. Glennon and Wilson will be gone by the end of the 2nd.

15. JohnnyThaJet

Perfect draft for that. Plenty of LB and OL talent all around.

16. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

That's what I've been reading, and those 2 (besides QB) are probably our weakest spots depth and talent wise. I keep on hearing about this Warmack kid and I am interested in him in round 1 although we might be slightly high in the draft to pick up a guard

17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

No QB picked after the 36 pick and before the 6th round has started more than 90 games in his NFL career going back to the beginning of the 7 round draft 20 years ago. The guys who did start a bunch of games from that group are led by Aaron Brooks and Brian Griese.

So the odds are pretty good that picking any of those guys in the mid-rounds leads to a 5 or 6 year starter at best who is eventually replaced because he is not good enough.

There is one guy currently playing who is probably finally going to be the guy who plays 100+ games at QB after being picked in the 3rd round of the 7 round draft. That's Matt Schaub. The reason he's likely to get there is that he's already started 80 games and he's only 32 next year. On the other hand it's possible that his age and the Texans fortunes will prevent him from getting there also.

Think of the NFL draft as an experiment in having 300 or so of the smartest people on earth, when it comes to assessing NFL-caliber talent, assessing the value of about a thousand players who play college football.

The odds on that 300 person assemblage missing badly enough on a QB to send him into the 3rd round are really low. The very talented guys are going to get picked early most of the time. Occasionally somebody will get missed or will be intentionally overlooked by the crowd because he is too short to meet the consensus requirements. Do you really want to bet something as valuable as a 3rd or 4th or even 5th round pick that you and the other talent guys in your organization are smarter than the other 290 guys who do this for a living?

In the 6th round, well you're almost playing with house money by that point because the expected return is so low on a late round pick. Why not pick a QB or WR or LT there and try to get very lucky? If you lose you haven't lost much and if you win, well that's like a finding a gold mine.

18. JohnnyThaJet

To put things is perspective (if you followed the draft last year), he's a better prospect than Decastro was last year. He's excellent in both the running and passing game and should come into the NFL as one of the better guards in the league.

I'm not 100% sure I'd draft him in the top ten but I definitely would target to trade back and then select him (Maybe 14-17 range).

19. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

exactly, all this waiting til the 2nd or 3rd rounds stuff is nonsense

there's no guarantee that QB will be a Schaub, Kaepernick, Dalton or Wilson. Picking a QB is a round 1 selection especially one to build around in my opinion and he's either worth it or not worth it

this is the one pick you cant rush or wait to make

20. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Dalton, Kapernick, Wilson were all solid qbs drafted in the 2nd/3rd round in recent years.

Bruce Gradkowski, Kyle Orton, Matt Cassel, Derek Anderson, Fitzharvard, Schaub,Garrard, Bulger

Theres tons of mediocre qbs drafted after the first

The bust rate of 1st round qbs is INCREDIBLY high. Especially if you cut out the uber elite guys who are taking in the first 2 picks (ie luck or RG3)

Here are 1st round qbs taken the last few years

Tebow, Bradford, Stafford, Sanchez, Freeman, Ryan, Flacco, Jamarcus Russel, Quinn, Vince Young, Leinart, Cutler, Alex Smith, Aaron Rodgers, Jason Campbell, Eli, Rivers, Rapist, Losman, Palmer, Leftwich, Boller, Grossman, Carr, Harrington, Ramsey, Vick Pennington

Those are a horrific bunch of names