Rex Ryan allegedly says he would welcome firing if Woody doesnt invest in changes.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NFL, Dec 28, 2012.

1. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

I actually agree with you here. I don't think Rex went and said all of that in a threatening way - but that just proves my point even further. Rex has loose lips, no filter, and being dumb enough to say something to this effect, even if just in frustration, shows he hasn't learned a goddamn thing.

2. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Manish quoted the always popular "anonymous sources". I also hate that shit. However, people like Francessa are flat out accusing Pettine of being the leak. That's a serious accusation. I also hate Mike, but u don't make claims like that without some evidence. That kind of stuff can end a career. Other reporters are now saying Pettine has been warned about leaks in the past. Ryan claums it's not true, and it may not be, but it doesn't appear Mehta fabricated this.

I wonder why if Pettine had been warned of this before, why is he a part of the team? Who takes responsibility for that?

Rex is saying he confronted Mehta and told him these accusations were denied. That was a big knock on Mehta running with the story. Mehta says he agreed with Rex that their talk was off the record. I'd like to see Rex's response now.

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This is misinformation. The Bears beat the 49ers using the WCO early in the 80's. They lost to them (mostly) late in the 80's because the 49ers would not go away from the run, passing much less often than they did early in the decade and just pounding the rock at the 46.

This is also misinformation. The 46 uses the corners to jam WR's at the line of scrimmage. It uses a LB to jam the TE. That's why the 49ers were beat by the Bears when they were emphasizing the pass and beat the Bears by staying with the run.

To give you some results that illustrate this:

1983: Bear 13, 49ers 3. 49ers pass 43 times and run 25.
    1984: 49ers 23, Bears 0. 49ers pass 35 times with a TD and 2 Int's. They rush 29 but for 159 yards.
    1985: Bears 26, 49ers 10. 49ers pass 29 times and rush 12.
    1987: 49ers 41, Bears 0. 49ers pass 27 times and rush 41 for 198 yards.
    1988: Bears 10, 49ers 9. 49ers pass 30 times and rush 21.
    1988: 49ers 28, Bears 3. 49ers pass 27 times and rush 38.

When the two teams were both good they went 3-3 and the 49ers 3 wins were all marked by a strong rushing attack that would not go away all day. The 3 losses were much closer and the 49ers were unable to establish the run in any of them.

#203 Br4d, Dec 29, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  4. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

In my personal opinion Norv Turner and/or a Marc Trestman would flip add an additional 30% to 40% more to the offense alone. Add in a decent draft and you are looking at a playoff team. At least I believe so.

5. Jon_Snow

Jon_Snow New Member

Rex is such a buffoon. When someone comes out and denies something that vehemently it's usually true. He probably said it in private but he still said it. And you deserve all these leaks because you run such a loose ship. There is no reason someone would make up a story like this out of the blue. How many times have we seen Rex make public statements and then later have to go back an retract them.

6. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

its absolutely hilarious that anybody believes these hack sportswriters and their fake twitter accounts and anonymous sources. you gullible fans are the buffoons.

7. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

Good riddance to Rex, it's time to close the circus and start fresh
    with new management and a new coaching staff.

8. talisaynon

talisaynon Well-Known Member

i hear mangini's out of a job!

9. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

I would respectfully point one problem out ith your observation......they are all Pre Polian rule games. Since the Pats manhandled their way past the Dolts....the rules have changed significantly.

So, for every step in the drop, a receiver has 2steps....the 5 yard rules dictate a 3 step drop and a 6 to 7 yard route where the DB has to make a perfect play, or draw a flag, as the core of the offensive game....once they respect that the run opens up...then the long game.

That's why we lost to Indy in the AFCCG. Our fourth DB getting burned on short routes.

10. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Add Norv, and return Edwards,hill, Holmes,Kerley, Cumberland, (using the Keller money to keep Landry)....and you have a team that will get past the AFCCG.

11. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

If you want to keep the franchise perpetually shuttling back and forth between mediocre and sucking - just keep changing HC every 4 yrs - its the recipe for disaster. firing a coach for having 1 losing season is Moronic.

#211 AbdulSalam, Dec 29, 2012
  12. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Either Rex is lying or he has problems communicating, both with the Tebow thing last week and now this off the record thing with Mehta. Common sense says the guy's not going to want a flat denial to be off the record. WTF else could he have told him 'off the record' unless he was actually confirming/clarifying the story?

#212 NYJFan10, Dec 29, 2012
  13. talisaynon

talisaynon Well-Known Member

There will be about 6 or 7 teams lining up for Rex's services.

fuck that. Keep him godamnit.

14. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

More Like about 10-12. He would immediately become the No.1 DC on the market. The NYJ would be absolutely insane to let him go. He's the best HC the Jets have had in DECADES.

15. Jon_Snow

Jon_Snow New Member

As a DC not as a HC. He could stay here if he was willing to take a demotion.

16. JET'S_my_name

JET'S_my_name Banned

Off the record implies it won't be published, right? What a dick move.

17. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Yes U got the prefect solution demote RR to DC & bring in a HC who knows O & can assess both players & coaches :sad:

18. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Totally outlandish if U R talking as HC but I would agree as a DC :sad:

19. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

No need to demote anybody. The team simply needs to fix the dysfunctional offense. Firing or demoting RR would be stupid since he's a good HC, but replacing Sparano & Cavanaugh w/a very talented OC and QB Coach would go along way towards fixing the offense followed by 4 or 5 personnel moves. It is not a perfect solution but its a helluva lot more perfect that the lunatics who freak out and want to destroy the organization every 4 yrs after only 1 losing season.

20. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Rex Ryan is a dumb fuck. We need a HC not a DC pretending to be one.