Rex Ryan allegedly says he would welcome firing if Woody doesnt invest in changes.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NFL, Dec 28, 2012.

1. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

Good is a relative term. I don't consider the Jets defense anywhere near as good as most of the guys on this board do. Without a doubt it's not as good as it should be if Rex was really the genius everyone makes him out to be. He's great against rookie QBs and poor QBs, but the Jets tend to get overrun by good QBs with a good offense.

This is by no means a lockdown defense. It's a bend but don't break defense that lacks speed, is excellent against the pass (most of the time), average at best against the run, and no matter what anyone says, is poor on 3rd down in big situations.

Yes, a lot of it can be attributed to the offense not giving them a break and constantly putting them in bad situations, but "great", or even "very good" defenses don't have as many breakdowns as the Jets have in the past couple of years.

2. The_Darksider

That's not exactly an argument that favors him. If he set the overall theme to ground and pound and this is the personnel he puts out there for it, he should be fired and never given a job ever ever again.

The jets were ground and pound in '09 and from that point on started to try and move towards a more open passing attack. It backfired with poor personnel decisions, a QB who never progressed, and then they tried to (or made it seem like they wanted to) go back to ground and pound. But they have no offensive talent, no RB capable of grounding (only pounding), no QB who commands the defense to back off so that the running game can get going, an offensive line in a state of flux, no blocking TEs......it goes on.

And you say that Rex set the tone and the other guys are responsible? Gimme a break. "Outsider" point of view my ass.

3. The_Darksider

I'm starting to feel that you are exactly like nyjunc, only for the team/Rex Ryan instead of Mark Sanchez.

The NFL is designed for parity, hardly ANYONE plays "meaningless" games anymore, at least as defined by what you're saying. If "meaningless" means 'when mathematically eliminated', then sure, 25 or so teams out of 32 play no meaningless games until the final weekend.

In reality, the Jets have played a bunch of 'meaningless' games that didn't mean that much in the grand scheme of things.

4. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

Unlike Mark Sanchez, Rex Ryan has far more upside than Mark Sanchez does. If we let go of Mark Sanchez, we'll be fine.

Letting go of Rex Ryan, however, will be a big mistake. There aren't any coaches currently looking for a job that I would take over him.

5. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

I bolded everything I think is more on the GM level than the coaching level. Oh look at that, 99% of your negatives fall on the GM level, surprise surprise.

6. The_Darksider

Right, and the fact that multiple resources state that Sanchez, Holmes and several other fantastic moves were all Rex moves doesn't phase you in the least huh?

Do you REALLY think the head coach just sits back, walks into camp and then manages what he's dealt?

7. deathstar

deathstar Well-Known Member

To be fair, Holmes got injured...You can't blame the coach on that...

Now for Sanchez, it was okay for Rex to want to draft him (if you don't take a chance, you never know) but its a firable offense for Tanny to give him that horrendous contract...

About Sanchez, it probably destroyed his confidence that the clown was forced upon the team by the owner...

#187 deathstar, Dec 28, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  8. The_Darksider

I'm not blaming anyone at all for Holmes not being there this year. I'm saying that Holmes was a bad signing, and he was overrated and overpaid. If that was Rex's doing, as it's been reported, then that's on him.

Believe me, I am not trying to absolve Tannenbaum of blame. I hope I haven't given that impression because he's worse than Rex. It just seems that he's on his way out and has way less support than Rex does.

9. DbaJets

DbaJets New Member

Sure he should. Sanchez is a joke. If for no other reason than pride, Ryan should give Tebow a chance, and bench the worst qb in football. Spare me the "he sucks" nonsense. He hasn't been given a legit chance this year.

10. The_Darksider

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...ter-stands-by-story-on-rex-ryans-future-plans

A fiery Rex Ryan told reporters Friday he was "mad as a hornet" about a New York Daily News report that stated the New York Jets coach would welcome his firing if resources weren't poured into improving the team's anemic offense.

Ryan shot down the report -- written by Daily News beat reporter Manish Mehta -- as being "garbage" and "untrue" while questioning why his comments from a Thursday night conversation with Mehta weren't included in the story.

During a Friday call-in interview on SNY, Mehta said his report was "100 percent accurate" and explained he didn't include any quotes from Ryan because it had been agreed that their conversation was off the record.

The Daily News stood by the report, which featured unnamed sources tied to the Jets' organization.

"It's a very solid report," Teri Thompson, managing editor for sports at the Daily News, told The Associated Press.

Ryan is wasting his breath trying to discredit Mehta, who has been breaking stories on the Jets beat all season. Ryan is better off trying to figure out the identity of the unnamed sources who seem intent on undermining him.

Ryan's mad as hornet, but he's operating in a hornet's nest.

11. ArmandJ

Yeah, Manish is totally going to say that his article is a fraud...

Seriously?

12. The_Darksider

So the "Around the League" NFL writer who wrote the article, and clearly stated that Rex was better off trying to find the leak than trying to discredit Manish, is out to get Ryan too? Is he trying for headlines as well?

13. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

And Rex is going to admit he said he's good with being fired and/or wants to give Woody an ultimatum?

Seriously?

The truth lies somewhere in the middle.

14. The_Darksider

Not to mention that if the conversation the two had the previous night was off the record, and the reporter obviously honored it, it only serves to strengthen his creditibility and undermine Rex even more.

15. KWJetsFan

Hey.....Manish responded by saying his conversation with Rex was mutually agreed upon as off the record. Let's hear Rex respond now. The ball is in his court.

Manish doesn't seem to be running from this.

16. The_Darksider

Friggin' team is like a bad, cable-only soap opera.

17. ArmandJ

It really is in the middle. More likely than not, he probably had a 'fuck this shit' kind of outburst, and someone made gold with it.

This story is fishy in the fact that Ryan doesn't seem to be the kind of guy who wants to be fired. I would think that if he left, he would rather do it on his own.

18. ArmandJ

I thought Manish used sources to gather his information about Rex....?

19. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Well-Known Member

I'll be really disappointed if Rex gets fired. He's had a couple bad seasons but the team has caught some bad breaks. It's not his fault Sanchez choked. There's plenty of reason to be optimistic.

20. KWJetsFan

I always wanted the Jets to be relevant. Sadly, they are relevant in the national punchline kind of way. I never envisioned that and want it to end ASAP.