Rex Ryan allegedly says he would welcome firing if Woody doesnt invest in changes.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NFL, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Agreed. There may be sacrifices that have to be made here and Rex's vaunted defense might be a victim in this. A lot of this wouldn't be a issue if Rex was simply the DC instead of the HC. Perhaps if a true HC, one with a modern overview of all three units were hired by the new GM, then a true OC could come in, be given complete control over all things on that side of the ball. Then a DC on the level of a Ryan could also be brought in, perhaps install a defense and talent that can bring pressure w/o the blitz and the Jets would be better off longterm. Rex is not the only good DC in the league. He's a Ryan, but that doesn't mean he's irreplaceable. I'm sure fans could tolerate some dropoff in the quality of the defense if its accompanied by a rise in the quality and effectiveness of the offense. Its a hard trade, but one we might be forced to make for the good of the team longterm.

#161 Cman68, Dec 28, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  2. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

The real x-factor in all this is whether or not a quality OC combined with more focus on the offense when it comes to personnel decisions will enable the Jets to compete for a Super Bowl under Rex Ryan's watch. The two AFCCGs suggest yes, but the decline of the offense suggests that the Jets are incapable of building offense while he's here.

I would think a GM who is football oriented and doesn't answer to Rex and is tasked with rebuilding the offense might be what this team needs... but there are a lot of moving parts and it can't be done in one offseason... I don't know if Woody will tolerate another season like this one.

3. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I really think adding Norv Turner as offensive coordinator could turn things around. Unfortunately we also need a new GM and offensive talent (especially at QB) as everyone says, and it's highly unlikely that a good GM candidate is willing to sign on with the coaching staff already in place. It's not completely out of the question, but unlikely.

Maybe Woody can swing it if he says "give them one year to show you what they can do"?

4. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

It's not that I have a hard on for replacing him, he's just in the wrong place at the wrong time. The problem we have is that there needs to be a complete overhaul of the front office. A good President/GM doesn't let the franchise become a circus. Rex has become poisoned along with everyone else in the organization. Everyone needs to go and someone with credibility must be brought in to run this ship. This person needs to be great. If he somehow deems Rex as a keeper, then I can live with that. But in reality it's not going to happen. I want whoever this new GM/President wants as the head coach. My hope is that Woody does his due diligence and hires the best of the best to run his team. Once that happens, everything usually falls into place.

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets have drafted to flesh out a 46 defense over the last two seasons. That's obvious at this point.

They have a mammoth 3-4 DE in Mo Wilkerson who is probably going to be a tweener in a 4-3, not a good enough speed rusher to play end and not strong enough to deal with the constant double-teams at the nose. What he will be great at is lined up in a 46 over his guard or the center and with the guy unlikely to get a lot of help since 4 or 5 guys will have their hand in the dirt for the Jets.

They have a 4-3 3T DT in Quinton Coples who is smallish in the 3-4 at DE. Again, what he's going to be great at is lined up over another of those guards in the 46.

None of the LB's are great 3-4 material at this point and really none of them would be good in a 4-3. David Harris has a role in the 46 in the group of linebackers on the strong side, one of whom is usually rushing the passer, something Harris has been very good at when called upon to do so.

Throwing all of that up in the air and trying to spoon those guys into a 3-4 or a 4-3 would likely make them all worth less to the Jets. They need to play in the defense they were acquired to play in. Harris probably needs to get traded next year if the Jets aren't going to play a 46 moving forward. He's already slowing and he has not hit 30 yet.

6. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Rex is a very good head coach and defensive coordinator that unfortunately knows absolutely nothing about offense.

if you can get a very good offensive coordinator to go with Rex, that is clearly the direction you aim for. there is no reason to fire Rex unless you become convinced he is a bad head coach.

now, if Norv Turner comes in, and the Jets don't turn it around, then you fire Rex because there are no more excuses.

7. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

In all of the discussion about this team, we've been remiss. We've ignored the other unit on the team that is in a state of flux. That would be Special Teams which by all accounts, was anything but special this season.

Ryan has had it pretty good since he's been here. He's been the defacto DC, not concerned in the least with the offense so he retains the prior OC, then goes with a unproven replacement OC. He's had Westhoff in charge of Special Teams so he hasn't had to give that unit much thought either.

Now all 3 units are degenerating with the Offense being the worst, followed by Special Teams. The defense is forced to play lights out every game and by season's end, is worn down. This imbalance is the responsibility of the Head Coach. Rex Ryan is at fault here as he's apparently unable to juggle all three units effectively and efficiently.

Why should Rex be replaced? Because he's not the HC of the entire team but sadly, only the HC of the defense of the NYJ's. That makes him the defacto DC, makes Pettine nothing more than a hood ornament, and leaves the offense floundering somewhere between the ground and pound and modern NFL offenses. Special Teams anyone?

#167 Cman68, Dec 28, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  8. deathstar

deathstar Well-Known Member

Rex is a competent coach as evidenced by the 2 AFC Championship runs.

From an outsiders perspective, I'd blame Tanny (crappy talent on the offensive side), Woody (trading for the clown), and then Rex. Rex is hampered by the fact that all 3 QBs shouldn't be in an NFL uniform.

Give Rex another year or two with a new GM. Go get a veteran QB. Matt Moore is available and is a decent starter (much better than the crap your team currently has). Go draft a QB in round 2/3. Take the cap hits from exiling Sanchez. Cut Tebow as well.

9. laxin

laxin Active Member

You cant only contribute/know one side of the ball and be a good HC. A HC is the coach of an entire team; which includes three phases. He really only coaches one side of the ball, while the others (at least the offense) is left in the dust.

Now he's blaming the offense on Tanny, or at least according to the reports today, meanwhile his MO is the reason why the offense is given hardly any resources.

10. deathstar

That's how head coaches work...They specialize in one phase of the team and rely heavily on an coordinator to take care of the other 2 phases.

He can set the overall theme (ground and pound)...

11. Snoopdogg

Snoopdogg Active Member

If so, that is just dumb. The 46 defense is worthless against elite QBs who can read the blitz and move the play away from it. Too many holes on the weakside of the defense. There's a reason why no team runs it regularly.

12. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

If you're a dolphins fan, you're making a lot of sense right now.

I agree with everything you said (though I think McElroy can be a viable backup/should still remain on the team).

Rex is not a bad coach. Bad coaches, with whatever talent they had with whatever regime, don't have two AFC Championship runs and don't only play 2 completely meaningless games in 4 years.

Our team, as constructed, should be competing for the number one draft pick. As it stands, we can finish 7-9. I would say some of that is on coaching (some is also on that terribly easy schedule).

Honestly, I'd let him finish out the contract. If the new GM thinks next year will be a rebuilding year, there would be no reason to fire him barring a 5 or less win season.

13. laxin

laxin Active Member

Yeah, but his philosophy is the reason why the offense is such a mess and untalented. He wanted Holmes here, he wanted Sparano here, he could care less about drafting for the offense and especially the skill positions, Rex wanted Tebow, he's the one making decisions on who plays QB...

Belichick works with Brady to improve the offense. Look at Jim Harbaugh- he's a great offensive mind, but the defense became elite under him also. Head coaches like Gary Kubiac and Mike McCarthy are offensive minded coaches, yet still realize that you need to spend a lot of resources on the opposite side and have good coaching there in order to be a complete football team.

I just hate the mindset of "He was the guy they all wanted, but honestly, a wide-out? Not my dream pick"... When your offense is this putrid, any investment on that side of the ball should be your "dream pick".

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The defense was created to be able to manage both the Redskins Hogs and the 49ers WCO and it worked in doing so.

The reason the defense has fallen out of favor is that it requires a lot of talent in the front 7 and it's just really hard to find a great group of 250 to 300 pounders. It also requires good man coverage in the secondary.

Rex's 46 has been handicapped by not enough good big bodies to plug into it. The Jets have no outside pass rusher and they have several guys who are wide bodies inside but don't get penetration into the backfield.

The last couple of drafts have been about finding elite talent for the line. The problem is those guys were drafted for a 46 and that's what the Jets need to run moving forward to make the drafts work.

Quinton Coples was a hopeless tweener in a 3-4. When he was drafted it was a dead giveaway that the 46 was what was on tap.

15. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Looking at it from that perspective then it might actually be best to let Rex continue what he's doing. This environment is toxic in the sense that fans constantly expect the team to win NOW NOW NOW... but as you're pointing out, Rex is actually building towards something specific.

The Jets will never evolve if they constantly rotate before these jobs are finished.

16. laxin

laxin Active Member

I agree with all of this pretty much. Very good stuff...

Two things though-

1) I question Rex's ability to put together a team with a good offense. Its just not his MO. He has been a big part of Sanchez's development and I truly question his ability to develop a young QB moving forward. To win in todays NFL, you need a franchise QB. The QB he drafted is one of the worst in the NFL.

2) I dont want Rex forced on a GM, and even more so I dont want a quality GM candidate turned away because the organization wants Rex here. The new GM should have complete control over everything and that includes the coaches. He needs to have a clear plan and direction for this team (part of that plan has to be focused on rebuilding this offense). If that plan includes Rex, the so be it. If it does not, then Rex should be gone.

17. TheBlairThomasFumble

TheBlairThomasFumble Active Member

I'm done with the NYDN and I've blocked douchebag manish on Twitter. I don't like mixing my TMZ with my NFL.

18. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Here here.

Guy's an absolute twat.

19. deathstar

The NFL is an entertainment business...Off course you are going many TMZ type moments during the year...It is what it is.

20. Snoopdogg

Snoopdogg Active Member

I think you have that backwards. Bill Walsh's Cincinnati (nee West Coast) offense was created to beat the Bear/46. There's quite a bit of literature on the net about this if you look it up (I can't post actual links yet.

- From Wikipedia: "Currently, the 46 is rarely used in professional and college football (except the Ryan family)... largely because of the popularity of the West Coast Offense,..."

- Guide to NFL defenses (a NYtimes Fifth Down blog post) describes in detail how quick, accurate passing offenses basically destroy the 46, also talked about in detail on The Ultimate Guide to NFL Defense on footballguys.com

There are plenty more where those came from.

To me that spells 3-4. You don't really need backfield penetration from your 3-4 DEs, that's what the OLBs are for (and they will frequently line up on the LOS in a true 3-4 for that purpose).