Rex Ryan allegedly says he would welcome firing if Woody doesnt invest in changes.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NFL, Dec 28, 2012.

1. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Rex will be a hot commodity for a DC position I belive. I seriously doubt that he will ever be an NFL HC again after his time with the Jets ends.

2. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

I think if he was fired/bought-out he's have a HC job within a week. Too many teams looking to make a change.

3. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

I don't disagree. But do you think any good/ready teams are taking him on? Not a chance in hell. They're all booked up. He'd easily get a job with a shitty franchise that is years away.

4. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

You're living in an alternate universe if you think teams needing a HC are even thinking about Rex. After the clown show that has been his tenure with the Jets, I don't think many if any owners want this type guy running their team.

Mangina got another job because he was one shoulder injury to Favre away from a playoff season his last year in NY. Rex's ship is listing in the Hudson.

5. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

Don't let the door hit you on the way out. Judging by your "Mar 2012" arrival date, I'm sure you've had one foot out the door the entire season. Have fun being a Jags fan.

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The argument for Rex getting another HC job right away is that his defensive acumen is so well-respected at this point that a bad team would hire him just to get his playbooks and schemes for the franchise to run moving forward.

Say Jacksonville decides they want Rex's knowledge moving forward because they have to deal with Andrew Luck twice a year for the next decade.

So they hire Rex and have him install his defense. Then if they strike gold and Rex actually coaches well they're set. However if they have to fire him in a few years because the offense sucks, well they still have his defensive knowledge added to their franchise assets moving forward.

7. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

Here is a fun story to look back on:

Rex Ryan didn't want Steven Hill in the Draft:

http://forums.theganggreen.com/showthread.php?t=73806

"Well, nothing told me he would (contribute)," Ryan told Don Banks of Sports Illustrated. "Nothing. When I saw the tape (of his collegiate play) I was concerned. But (Jets general manager) Mike Tannenbaum and (senior personnel executive) Terry Brady and all our scouts were adamant about this guy. They were adamant that this guy can do it.

"He can run all these routes, he had good hands and he's got 4.2 speed at 6-foot-5. He was the guy they all wanted, but honestly, when it came down to it, a wideout? Not my dream pick. But now that we have him, of course, I want to claim him: 'Oh, that was my pick.' But it really wasn't."

8. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

I think Rex will be coaching somewhere next season. I just think that if he leaves the jets one way or another, he'll be DC, and he'll probably be able to pick from a handful of opportunities.

9. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

BTW: Good call Br4dw4y5ux, you might have hit our win total (and offensive ineptitude) dead on:

http://forums.theganggreen.com/showpost.php?p=2561165&postcount=5

09-06-2012:

The defense is going to keep the Jets in most of the games next year. So the bottom is not going to fall out no matter how inept the offense is. If the offense tries to lose games the Jets will still win 5 or 6.

10. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

When I originally saw this, my first thought was that if Hill ends up a bust, Rex has already put it out there that it wasn't his idea. CYA

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The bad team that hires him as HC gets him over all the good teams looking for a DC.

12. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Rex approved every signing and he should step up and take responsibility, but instead he is pointing fingers to set up his exit and hopefully slide into another HC position.

13. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Why couldn't either Rex or MT tell the other he was nuts on Tebow back in March ???

14. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

15. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

Everyone needs to calm down.

These reports are nothing more than heresay at this point yet everyone is acting lile its the ironclad truth. Its not like Rex set up a press conference and said what he's been accused of saying in this anonynous report. It's what some source (could lieterally be amyone) said Rex said (could have been misinterpreted, misunderstood, or an outright lie). Everything Rex HAS said is that the Jets failures this year have all been his fault so stop it with the throwing people under the bus thing.

Rex has already refuted the story and two sources close to Ryan have admitted its an outright lie. It's actually scary how much influence the media and anonymous sources can have over the public.

16. NFL

NFL Active Member

First of all we don't know if he was the one who went for Sparano, but lets say he did. He only got him because of the money he's allowed to spend. I'm sure there were plenty of other OCs better suited for the job, but his budget didn't allow him to get best available.

17. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

Sometimes I think we need to stop allowing Manish Mehta in our locker room. He keeps printing out sensationalist stories and probably has a boner from making the Jets out to be a 'circus' in any way possible. I always thought something seemed odd about this. Rex isn't the type of guy who would actively throw people under the bus like that.

18. The_Darksider

19. The_Darksider

All kidding aside, what do you expect Rex to say? I am willing to believe it may have been taken out of context, but regardless he wouldn't go to the team and say "yup, you guys on offense, and all you coaches - you DO suck, and if you most of you aren't gone, I'm out".

20. The_Darksider

'His budget'? They had Sparano hired before they even fired Schottenheimer. Remember the reports that he was hired in the middle of the night after which Schotty was let go??