Rex Ryan allegedly says he would welcome firing if Woody doesnt invest in changes.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NFL, Dec 28, 2012.

1. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

Who would you hire, then? Keep in mind that we, according to the mass media, are a circus. What coach would want to come into a circus?

2. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

And now Rex enters the total douchebag zone, by blaming everyone else for his failures. Bye bye Rexy, don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out.

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Rex Ryan is twice the coach of Mangini, Herm, Kotex. Sorry I want to move forward, not take major steps back to the days of 1-15, 2-14, 3-13. No No No! It's obvious Rex doesn't know shit about offense, fix the issue by getting Norv Turner and a new GM that can fix an offense. Packers, Saints, and Texans all did this with their defensive. 2 of the 3 ended up winning SBs after the change. Why can't the Jets do it with offense?

Unfortunately, the players brought in tailor to Rex Ryan, not any other coach IMO. Bringing in someone will require more patience and more time to get them on the same page. Defense could take a major step back or the defensive scheme might not work. And again, it is not Rex's job to buy the groceries for offense. That lies with the FO. He can only coach what he has available.

Keep Rex, get a new OC (Norv) and a new GM. Things can be fixed.

4. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

I really wonder if WJ has the nuts to pull that trigger on RR because I think Woody's only concern is making money not winning championships sorry to say :sad:

5. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Remember this change needs to be an entire institutional and philosophical change in how this franchise is run. From the top down (I wish that included ousting Woody too but he writes the checks so we're stuck with him).

So to answer your question, the new GM/architect of this team has to have his fingerprints on every part of this rebuilding job and pick the right head coach for his plan.

The only way this circus leaves town is if there's a new mentality instilled here. That starts at the top with the GM. I really want Polian or a head of scouting from one of the more stable franchises in the league.

From there, then we can talk about a head coach. Yet I honestly can't say who the head coach should be because this needs to start above the HC level at the GM level who has a vision and a plan for this frachise.

That being said, a new GM is going to want to bring in his own staff and get rid of all the incumbents hence why Rex must go.

6. championjets69

Yeah U R the one who said RR was the 2nd best coach in NYJ history & I just pointing out which is the point U missed that just everybody else who was a HC of the NYJs was garbage so it was easy to point out that RR was the 2nd best coach in NYJ history. The 1st best coach in NYJ history is Weeb as he won us the Championship right? The second best coach probably was BP so that would make RR the 3rd or lower best coach :sad:

7. JetsNation06

True, but Rex needed to know how to at least cook some of those groceries and use those ingredients and all of their offensive recipes tasted like crap. I could see where you're going with Rex, Norv and new GM. I'm not totally opposed to it. I just think a new GM is going to want to completely clean house IMO.

8. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

But, what if this new GM wants to keep Rex? Are you going to say that he's a terrible GM and nothing will change?

The fact of the matter is that a LARGE portion of our failure this season has to do with the talent we brought in. That talent is due to Tannenbaum. A GM with a brain can see that with the right talent (or even halfway decent talent), Rex can have this team as a consistent wildcard contender while also battling for the division every once in a while.

All the head coach can do is coach; which for the most part, he has done a fairly good job of doing.

9. CowboysFan

CowboysFan Banned

So now it's woody's fault the Jets O sucks ? Or is Rex throwng Sparano and Tannebaum under the bus ? It's exhausting keeping up with the Jets ...

#69 CowboysFan, Dec 28, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  10. championjets69

That is a extremely doubtful scenario if it evens occur :sad:

11. Ben Had

Ben Had Active Member

Rex Ryan is bullet proof to most Jet fans.
    All personnel matters free agent and drafting is the GM’s fault. Rex stays in his office during draft day and gives no input to acquiring offensive or defensive free agents during the year or off season.

Rex has no input on cuts or waiver wire.

Rex has no input on Jets coaching staff this is all done by the GM and owner.

Rex has no input on game day planning, or the offence or defense game schemes. It’s always the OC that’s screwing things up…DC must stay at home all week cause Rex can run that side of the ball from his desk.

It’s not Rex who wants to keep Sanchez in the game after 50 turnovers the last 2 years and wanting to give him the extension…that’s the GM and owner trying to cover their azz.

Rex didn’t want Tebow and the wildcat…that’s the OC, GM and owner.

Rex is bullet proof…

12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I don't know, I think it's very debatable between Parcells and Rex Ryan. Surely Rex Ryan has experienced more success and has gotten us closer to the SB. Parcells had a bad run-in with injuries. I think you could argue Parcells with team had more potential, but the Jets with Rex Ryan could of had something really special.

The first by default is Weeb no doubt about it, going back and reading stories about the NYJs back then, I wish he never left. Rex has only had 1 losing season (this year). Despite the garbage at offense, he's done decent with what he's had. Rex needs to go back and learn about how offenses are run over the off-season and get Norv to fix it. Rex has a lot of potential as a HC, not ready to give up on that yet.

Yeah, the new GM may very well do that. That's what worries me the most. Browns hired a new gm, yet kept their coach for one more season to evaluate him. If the new GM can keep Rex for one more season and retain Dunbar, and Thurman I think Rex can prove the GM that he's the man.

13. JetsNation06

No that's not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying that when a new GM comes in he is going to change the way everything is done in the organization. From player evaluations, to workouts, to offseason programs, and so on.

In almost all new GM situations, the incumbent HC is fired.

Also on your last point, Rex did a good job on the defensive side of the ball. However he did an awful job of managing the locker room and not a good job of overseeing the offensive playcalling. Obviously Sparano is to blame here too and he'll be gone. However Rex can't be excused of blame here as he's the HC and has the final say in these areas and he failed miserably here. There's plenty of coaching talent in the NFL so I have zero problem with Rex being fired. The HC has to have final accountability for the execution, or lack thereof, of his offense, defense and special teams.

#73 JetsNation06, Dec 28, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  14. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

here we go still have the anonymous leaks.

that is the reason why everyone on all staffs including the management staff and the president we never hear anything about should ALL be fired.

you cant tell me rex ryan has no input on draft selections or on offensive staff. i just dont believe it and there is very little other than woody coming out and saying it which i still probably wouldnt believe you can do to convince me.

its not like we heard about guys coming in for interviews and the jets offering them the job and them turning it down. what i remember hearing was tony is going to come in and ground and pound he was the offensive match to rex ryan... blah blah

rex better watch out what he asks for, if he ends up getting fired from here i highly doubt there are any suitors out there ready to turn their team over to him.

15. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

All these threads are mixing together so I don't know if it was this one or another, but no one really knows the inner workings of the Jets front office. Wasn't there a report that Rex promised Bruce Irvin they'd draft him if he's there? And then we take Coples. Who's call was that? Did Woody say he didn't want to pay Haley along with Sparano to coach the offense? Or did Rex really want Sparanao?

For all the "reporting" that goes on, there could be a lot more than meets the eye. It could be Rex is the main problem or it could be that he shouldn't take any of the blame. Either way, regardless of who's responsible, the lack of talent on the team is more of an issue then Rex's in-game coaching.

16. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

This is just more of the same with this guy. Instead of keeping his big fat mouth shut, or going directly to the owner and stating this like a man, he whines to his friends and his friends leak it to the media. Do you think he would do that if he didn't know it would get out?

This is why the entire team is always going to the media to air its dirty laundry and backstab each other. Their coach does it, so they do it.

What a disgrace.

17. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Rex may have won more playoff games, but Bill Parcells is still the #2 coach in team history to me. Weeb won the Super Bowl, so #1, but Parcells took a pathetic, terrible worthless, nothing positive franchise, and improved them from 1-15 to 9-7 in one year and from 1-15 to the AFC Championship Game within two. I will always be thankful for what he did. Rex took a 9-7 team and made them 9-7.

18. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

Right, so he throws his coaching staff under the bus and that's acceptable to you? The guy you're responding to is righ t- Rex is a jerkoff.

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I don't think this is the case. I think whoever brought Tebow on-board actually saw him as an alternative to Sanchez. Then he showed the Jets CS, players and management how inept he was at passing the ball. He failed to correct the flaws (again) and he was relegated to a sidebar role that the Jets had never actually envisioned using him in despite their pronouncements to the contrary.

Tebow played an enormous number of snaps in the pre-season games. The Jets gave him every opportunity to show that he was in the process of correcting the flaws. Even against second and third stringers he looked bad.

I think at that point that Rex and Sparano launched a plan to get Tebow to change positions and play an h-back role in the offense. The very first snap of the season Tebow was in the game as an h-back. I think the plan was to have Tebow play regularly, maybe even most snaps as the h-back.

However he resisted the switch and the Jets went to Plan B, which was just to give him a few snaps every game and ditch him at the end of the year.

This is one of the few scenarios in which the Jets abject failure to take advantage of any of Tim Tebow's actual skills makes sense.

20. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

Jets are a mess, even Rex wants out... 2013 and beyond will not be fun.