The Greg McElroy bandwagon (ultimate under-dog)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mambo9, Jun 20, 2012.

1. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

The 7th round stuff is meaningful for the odds of McElroy being our franchise. Odds say he won't be partly because of where he was picked. It's like the people who brought up Smith, Eli, and Brees as late QB progressers to hold out on Sanchez, bringing up Warner and Brady are the rare case, not the norm.

Does that mean McElroy can't be an effective QB for this team, no. But it does mean we better start strengthening the WR core and OL so we don't have to rely on Greg to be the rare case. We could potentially get by with Greg at QB, that's why he is getting a chance a start.

2. Bill Belichdouche

Bill Belichdouche Well-Known Member

mcelroy is perfect for the type of offense Rex envisions

can't wait to see how he reacts to being handed the keys.

3. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

It's perfectly reasonable to point out the long odds of Mcelroy becoming the starting QB because of where he was drafted. That being said, where he was drafted, what the scouts said, what people's opinions are, all flies out the window as soon as he steps onto the field. All that matters, and all that he should be evaluated on, is his performance on the field in a real game. It's not a coincidence that the people who are preemptively judging Mcelroy as being garbage are the same assholes that are still coming up with excuses about why Sanchez should get another chance to embarrass us.

4. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Magic Johnson tweeted McElroy wishing him congrats on his first NFL start and good luck. Pretty cool, don't understand the connection there.

5. Bill Belichdouche

Bill Belichdouche Well-Known Member

because he's Greg Motherfucking McElroy. no further explanation needed.

[​IMG]

6. Gastin-oh

Gastin-oh New Member

He doesn't get paid much.. and our other 2 qb's are owed alot. I don't agree.

7. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

What you just said doesn't argue my point of that being a 7th round pick does work against the chances of him becoming a franchise QB. You seem to be arguing he get a chance which is obvious he should

8. lakersmetsjets49ers

The backup qb is always the most popular person. Lets see how he does the next 2 weeks and see what he has. It's a golden opportunity for him with nothing to lose and everything to gain. I hope he makes the most out of his opportunity and is able to go into 2013 as a viable option for the starting job next season.

9. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

http://prod.www.jets.clubs.nfl.com/...s-Moment/d6190bdc-6b53-4502-91e5-c5c7ba1b5251

Love this article about McElroy. The kid seems extremely intelligent and has a good sense of football. Whatever is said about arm strength doesn't matter all that much. If you make good decisions, you can win games.

I have a really, really, really good feeling about this guy. I have the feeling that if he starts next year, we will win 9 games. I'm willing to place a real life wager on this.

10. Jetsetter34

Jetsetter34 New Member

good kid but arm strength is an issue. bad weather, windy conditions you need someone to toss the ball without worry the elements are going to f with it.

I hope he wins!

11. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

He has to be more accurate than Nacho. Hopefully he knows how to lead a receiver.

12. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

I've been on the McE bandwagon for a long time now. So I'm pumped for Sunday.

13. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

I have a good feeling about this kid

Natural leader, not a fukkkup who is anointed a leader

Accurate and SMART.... Not too flashy

Shoot

He called out Rex (indirectly) as a freaking rookie. How can't you respect that?

14. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Can't wait....

15. lakersmetsjets49ers

He gained a bunch of respect from me because of that. He called the jets Lockerroom out for what it was last season.

I hope he plays well the next 2 games but I wouldn't fall in love with him and get to excited off of 2 games against teams whose seasons are over and have packed it in. If he plays well though it has alot of positives for next season.

16. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

Tennessee and Jacksonville's seasons were both over and they both packed it in...we saw what happened with Sanchez.

That being said, I think he plays well. No 300 yard passing games but, I wouldn't be surprised at 150-200 passing yards.

Looking at the practice photos, I love McElroy's body language in them. He looks so happy and enthusiastic. Tebow's is around the same, but a bit more subdued. Sanchez looks like he wants to be anywhere but at practice.

17. lakersmetsjets49ers

I hope he plays well, I don't care who the qb is as long as they play well. My reasoning for being cautious though is that I've seen qb's in the past use a good start or 2 to play their way into a decent contract and starting job only to fall off after that.

Its 2 games left with nothing to play for, I hope they let him play and not strictly game manage so they can get an idea of what they have either way.

18. Swedish Ale

Swedish Ale Member

Kudos for giving kudos. :beer:

19. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

He looked great in pre-season last year before hurting his thumb. I definitely thought he was the best qb on the team at that time. Looking forward to seeing what he can do.

20. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Wasn't he the only QB to put the ball in the EZ this preseason?