As a Jets Fan, Where do you want Mark Sanchez in 2013?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Dec 19, 2012.

?

Where Do You Want Mark Sanchez?

1. Starting Quarterback of the New York Jets

13.1%
  2. On the bench, in a back-up role.

40.8%
  3. OFF the roster. (Take the Cap Hit)

46.0%
  1. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

No one told Sanchez he needs to be Drew Brees or Peyton manning, just don't be fucking Matt Cassel and Skelton. Those QBs you listed also made the receivers in many of those cases, not the other way around.

But you go ahead and keep arguing points I never made.

2. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

OR the NFL is bigger than one person and that results a product of thousands of moving pieces. Some organizations do a better job from their owner down to their bench players and they're generally more likely to win it all.

If your argument is that Sanchez can never have had success, then your argument is immediately disproven by what he DID in 2009 and 2010. That's indisputable, it actually happened.

What the Jets didn't do was their due diligence to help him to the next level.

3. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

edge,

I understand your point about taking a shot, but I literally do not think the fans would stand for that. The debate here is even skewed by the middle option being voted on by people who more or less feel the Jets have to bring him back due to the cap and his contract. But what does that position say about having any enthusiasm for the Jets' chances next year?

Nothing good.

The Jets still have to fill the stadium, sell merchandise, get parking revenue, etc... If the Jets bring back Sanchez next year, all those take a big hit. Nobody's going to buy that if he returns that the Jets will have a real shot at anything other than continuing the decline.

The more I think about it, the more it makes sense to conclude Sanchez is finished in this town.

See what can be done to cut the losses, but start with the fact that he can't come back. That I think is the realistic position.

4. xxedge72x

I agree with you.

I think the right thing to do is to cut losses and that starts with cleaning house and purging the cap.

I think Woody might retain Rex and go for the hail mary specifically because he wants to retain a shot at selling tickets and making money off this season. He hasn't done anything to prove he'll go the right route rather than the profitable route.

I don't see a path in which fans are happy with next season. Accepting sure, but happy? It would take a miracle.

5. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

sanchez was absolutely awful in 2009. he played the position as bad as you can possibly play it. in 2010, he was better, but still a bottom5 type qb.

6. xxedge72x

As bad as a rookie? Who managed to leave the playoffs with a 91 QBR?

My you have high expectations. I sure hope you give your boss/teachers that sort of performance.

7. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I'd prefer him off the team period but the cap hit is too large. So long as he's not starting anymore I'm content.

8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I've been thinking, it's TOO toxic to even keep him here at this point. No way can we keep him here for 16 games locked up. Something will happen.

9. NFL

NFL Active Member

He would destroy us for years to come.

10. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

You may well be right about the way Woody might spin it in his own head. But I can't see that approach working. The Jet organization has no cred with the public now in defending the approach they took up til now. If they were to continue it, I don't see how they get their cred back, and I am virtually certain that leads to a drop in all the revenue sources, not to mention the team's standing in the pr area.

But... you are right. Woody in spite of all that may still go for "the Hail Mary". But even a Woody Hater like me is thinking probably not. He can't be that delusional.

11. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

he had 20 interceptions inspite of only being allowed to throw it 364 times. he turned it over a ton. he missed recievers constantly, and his playoff run doesnt even happen if the colts dont gift us in by benching their starters.

you can ignore all 16 regular season games if you want, just because he played well in a couple playoff games. i tend not to discount 90% of the season

12. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

People like to look back on 2009 and 2010 with this romantic nostalgia. If you take the entire body of work we got from Sanchez in 2009 and 2010 (when all of us agree, the roster was stocked with good players) you can't even make the argument that he gave us average play a the position.

The best thing you could say about him in those years is that, unlike now, he usually wasn't bad enough to throw away any chance of winning all by himself. We tried to play our way around his limitations and most of the time we were able to do it. On some occasions he came up with a big play or two to help us win, but overall his play was well below average, and certainly not acceptable ... for any QB ... but especially for a #5 pick.

Just as a comparison, take a look at what O'Brien did for us in his first year as a starter (career yr 2) ...

11-5 record / 25 TD's - 8 INT's in 488 attempts / 3,900 yards / 61% completion / 96 QB Rating.

Pennington's first year (career year 3) ...

8-4 record / 22 TD's - 6 INT's in 399 attempts / 3,120 yards / 69% completion / 104 QB Rating.

Do you think Sanchez will ever have a season that approaches those two years? I'd bet my life on NO.

Both of those guys were surrounded by good teams just like Sanchez, but the difference is, they were asked to play a large role in the success of those teams and they responded with great seasons. Just look at the number of attempts. At not point that I can remember, were we trying to win "in spite of" our own QB. Pennington took over a team that was 1-3 and led them to a division title. Under O'Brien in that first season, the Jets were ranked #4 in total offense.

Sanchez wasn't a good QB in 2009 or 2010, or today, and he never will be. And that's not the fault of the organization. If some team out there actually wants to jump through hoops, believing they can surround him with enough talent to win, then God bless them. The sooner we can make him someone else's problem, the better.

13. xxedge72x

There were several teams that year who had the opportunity to take the playoffs for themselves and they all failed. That's not Sanchez's fault. Based on the circumstances in the NFL the Jets did the minimum necessary to get in and then excelled from that point on.

Considering how big the spot was when they actually got into the playoffs, rather than acting like his normal interception prone self he actually played bigger than himself and excelled. The Jets didn't lose to the Colts in the AFCCG because of Mark Sanchez or interceptions either.

Then, amazingly enough he did it again a year later when going up against a Peyton Manning then Tom Brady led team. Imagine that? The Jets didn't lose to the Steelers because of Mark Sanchez either.

There is something to a QB who wins in big spots. It shows a mental toughness that a lot of other more effective QBs don't have.

Sanchez generally plays as well as the team; his regression and the team's has been parallel. It sucks that he's not the type of player who makes his team better but knowing that he's not the team hasn't done him any favors, and thus themselves.

14. xxedge72x

I don't expect Sanchez to ever reproduce anything he hasn't already... he's done for.

My arguments are less about how good Sanchez is/was and more about the fact that simply spinning Sanchez out will make things alright. We've got a lot more problems and simply scapegoating Sanchez won't fix those problems.

Tannenbaum and Rex at this point are a bigger problem than Sanchez. Rex MIGHT be able to overcome his problems if he can adapt to a different offensive philosophy but somehow I doubt that.

The 2012 Jets are not a product of Mark Sanchez being a scrub. It's a product of years of decision making by Tannenbaum and Rex's philosophy and where it's led this team.

15. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

I'll just make this short comment ...

Despite this terrible lack of talent I always hear about, If we got nothing more than REASONABLE play from our QB, the 2012 Jets would be at least 8-6 right now ... right in the middle of the playoff mix and controlling our own destiny ... after losing our best player on offense, and our best player on defense.

The QB is 90% of the problem on this team.

16. xxedge72x

Agree to disagree. For every bonehead Sanchez play there was an accompanying drop or wrong route run or untimely false start / holding penalty etc.

This offense has been nothing short of inept. The offensive line was MISERABLE at the start of the season and got better as the season went on. The receivers don't get open and frequently run wrong routes. The running game has been slow to come into its own and completely and utterly lacks explosion. The blitz pickup has been rather awful as well.

If you take all those factors into account and drop a lot of other semi successful QBs into this situation they will play much worse then they are capable of.

I believe Sanchez is a product of four years of mismanagement, particularly the last two. It's not like he suddenly sucked overnight. The Jets did nothing to help him pick up his game. He doesn't have the tools. Other QBs in a similar situation would also fail.

17. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

You also have to look at receiver play, OL play, and RB play.

Passes to RBs dropped 50 % this season -- was a 70% completion play last year. This season they don't use the running back.

How many passes did receivers drop? How many bad routes were run where a receiver is supposed to be cutting, breaking, stopping and they either go the wrong way, run a poor route, or just have a ball hit them on the back of the head.

QB play was bad but so many things were just as bad around it. How many times did Tebow run onto the field and have to burn a time out or have a delay of game? The OC and game calling was miserable. They never found an identity, never found a rhythm, and never gelled as a unit.

18. Pereiro16

Pereiro16 Member

Give it up man. Did you even watch Sanchez this season????????

19. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

Have you watched the games? How many of those dropped passes were the receivers fault, and how many of those balls were terribly thrown passes by mark sanchez behind them, at their feet, or over their head? The receivers and backs are certainly not blameless, but even being VERY generous to Sanchez, no more then 25% of the drops were the fault of the receiver or back. Sanchez's lack of ability to hit an open man standing 3 yards away is one of the most glaring of his many deficiencies.

20. NewYorkEveryThing

Well if it is like anything like this one.
    1. To take football serious and learn how to play.
    2. To grow up and stop banging hot milf's and young chicks.
    3. Learn how to throw the ball away and to tuck or fall on the ball.

If he does all these things then Maybe he gets a chance to compete for our starting QB positon.
    He is gonna get paid anyway so that's the reality since he gets paid so much.

We are gonna bring in conpetition and he will get a shot.

He is no longer our starting QB. But he will not be able to move so he better work out and get betterso if he gets a shot. He is ready.

But right now he is done.