QB Options Not On Roster

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by #1 Jets Fan, Oct 29, 2012.

1. JetDynasty

JetDynasty Active Member

The patriots signed donte stallworth a few weeks back and initially after wait what happened? Oh yeah, he killed a PERSON with his car...yet you people don't want Vick here because of the dog fighting issue...what he did was messed up I agree, but he did his time and for the sake of the team a huge upgrade over any qb we have! If owners and gm's were weary about these players personal lives and criminal accounts there would probably be no nfl! Ray Lewis stabbed someone, donte stallworth killed someone and the cowboys josh Brent was standing on the sideline with the team after drunk driving that killed his teammate...all of that supersedes the fact Vick did his time and lost his money...as a fan of this team if Vick helps the team, I welcome him!

2. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

Rex Ryan loves Michael Vick?

Well,......Rex loved Mark Sanchez about 4yrs ago. Lets pull the leash on Ryan a little bit. Also loved John Conner. His college scouting credentials stink.

I'll boycott this team if they get Michael Vick.

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If the Jets buy into Vick they are probably going to bounce back for a year and then collapse shortly thereafter. He's exactly the kind of combustible player to come in here and have one of his best seasons and then have everything blow up in his face moving forward.

It'll make for a really interesting two years of posting though.

4. DeathByJets

DeathByJets Well-Known Member

Favre....Tebow....Vick. That would just be perfect. The 3 players I hate the most in the NFL over the last 10 years.

The only way Vick becomes a Jet is if there is no change in the front office, because it fits right in with the headlines first, winning second mentality.

5. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

You may be looking at McElroy, if he doesn't totally shit the bed in his two outings, being our starter next year based purely on economics.

I can't see how you keep Sanchez here. It would be far too disruptive. Tebow is gone. That's a lot of dead cap space. You're going to have to go with McElroy and possibly a draft pick or two as backups. MAYBE a cheap veteran. THAT is where we are at.

6. _Jet_

_Jet_ Member

Just imagine this:
    49ers and Jets exchanged QB tandems, Smith&Kaepernick to Jets, Sanchez&Tebow to 49ers. No other roster or coach change. Which tandems will be more successful next season?

7. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

I'm really amazed @ how many posters want Vick. Are these people really paying attention to what's going on around the NFL? Could Vick really put up more points than Sanchez over one season with the same weapons? No way.

Sanchez is a turnover prone QB. Vick is a turnover prone QB. Vick has more potential to make the big play & he's always hurt. When you sign Vick, be prepared to have your backup QB finish the season.

It's more realistic to fix Sanchez than getting Vick to be productive on this team.

8. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Considering how bad this QB draft class is, I think the Jets strategy in the draft should be to trade out of the first round for a 1st in 2014 and additional picks.

If the Jets were to go through a cap purge in 2013, they'll be non competitive as it is.

It'd be great to go into the 2014 with two first round picks, one of them likely a high pick. You go in with the ammunition to trade up to #1 or #2 overall OR start doing what the Patriots do and trade one of those picks for a first the next year again and so on until we come across a once in a generation QB in the draft. Use the second round and on to develop the rest of the offense.

I'm sick of the Jets just going for a highly rated QB when they need one. It's time to focus on a Peyton Manning caliber prospect, even if that isn't necessarily next year.

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

You can also spend a 6th round pick here and there on the guys who are rated well but flawed and so they drop. Might get lucky there and find a diamond in the rough.

Landry Jones is a perfect example of the kind of 6th round value that would be worth taking. He's most likely not going in the first two rounds and after that people tend to freefall at QB. Now and then a team reaches out and snags a mid-round QB but most teams know the math on that and they'd much rather get a 4th round OL or RB or WR who has a real chance to be a plus player as opposed to investing that value in a QB who everybody has passed on multiple times already.

The difference between investing a 4th round pick and investing a 6th round pick is very real. You can cut the 6th round pick and no big deal. You can have him hold a clipboard forever and no big deal. In the 4th round the pick was a real shot at a Jerrico Cotchery or Leon Washington or Brad Smith, a guy who could really help you win games.

#529 Br4d, Dec 20, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  10. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

I don't want Vick because he sucks and his career is over and does not fit here. Vick is an upgrade is just laughable. Turnover machine. The Jets would be a COMPLETE laughing stock if we even talk to Vick.

Glad no one on this board runs the team.

11. NotSatoshiNakamoto

How do you know Tanny doesn't post here? :wink:

12. RevisIsland10

RevisIsland10 Member

I would take vick,nothing better out there this offseason in my opinion

13. Gastin-oh

Gastin-oh New Member

Like a few mentioned.. I'm in on Alex Smith. Low turnover rate now.. and not alot coming out in the draft.

14. luckiestman

luckiestman New Member

Vick would mean I hang it up as a jets fan until Woody is gone as the owner. I would become a Jets Fan in Exile

15. lakersmetsjets49ers

My issue with Vick isn't his past. He did his time and paid his dues and any holier then art thou opinions on him are dumb to me.

However my issue with Vick is his durability. I don't rember the last time he played a full 16 game season. If they were to bring in Vick they better have a more then capable backup and not rely on Vick to hold up overa 16 game season

16. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Viable option to replace Sanchez

It looks like Tranny screwed us good and that’s just one of his many mistakes which should earn him his pick slip, but this is not about the mistake, but how to mitigate the damage.

Now hear me out before just dismissing this option.

To make a deal and rid ourselves of Sanchez we need to find a similar situation on another team and convince them the swap would be the best for all parties. This leaves either Arizona with Cobb or the prime solution of Flynn in Seattle. Both guys are due guaranteed money and not the starter. We would have to sweeten the deal and level the playing field concerning the guaranteed money, but in the end we would pay the same money either way and have a new guy.

My thought; Sanchez when from zero to hero in one year under the leadership of Pete Carroll in college and just as he has not panned out for us, Carroll has his own mistake sitting on his roster who is very unhappy.

Matt Flynn was brought in and paid money to be the starter and he has yet to step on the field. Matt is only guaranteed $2M in 2013, so we would eat $6M, but have a guy who has a better chance to bounce back and most of all a fresh new outlook. Sanchez would be back in a comfort zone with a new team/old coach, Flynn would have a true shot to compete for another starting job and best of all the fans would have new found hope. We would have Flynn and McElroy battle for #1 and draft a guy in the mid to late round as a lottery ticket.

Sidebar: Make Packer's OC Tom Clements our next HC. He has been with Flynn every year except this one, has made many crappy QBs in Probowl players. Keep Mike Pettine as the DC/assistant HC to keep some continuity on the team.

17. gsulli5861

gsulli5861 New Member

If the Jet's trade Sanchez you can count on the Jets paying about 5.5 million. I not crazy about Flynn, no one wanted him last year. I'd like to see Sanchez and Tebow out. I'd bring in Matt Moore and draft Ryan Nissum in round 2. I'm dfafting an OLB in round 1.

18. endydee

endydee Active Member

I think getting Matt Flynn for Sanchez would be great, but I don't think Rex Ryan will be shown the door just yet. If we dump Sparano,and get Tom Clements to be the OC/assistant HC, while retaining Mike Pettine as DC, that would be just fine.

Matt Flynn, or Matt Moore, it wouldn't Matt-er. Getting either one or anybody for that matter would be great. I just don't want to see Mark Sanchez QBing for the Jets, ever again.

But first things first. The Jets need to get a new GM in order for anything intelligent to happen, so bye Mike Tannenbaum.

#538 endydee, Dec 22, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  19. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

I don't see going from one bad situation to another, making any sense for any of the teams you mentioned. An over paid under performing QB doesn't help anyone. Although I do think Flynn could do well here, his stock rose mostly from one game last season.

All these teams may try to unload, but not to each other and they would probably have to package them with someone worth having... Cro/Sanchez, Holmes/Sanchez... Although Holmes/Sanchez would cost a ton, so probably not likely, same as Revis/Sanchez.

We probably look at Moore, Henie or some other teams #2 for competition next year to Sanchez/McElroy.

20. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

someone else said in another thread it would take sanchez and picks to get flynn. i dont really care to give seattle any more picks than we would have to. i would honestly rather him sit on the bench in street clothing all year next year.

but i am so scared that we will not bring in anyone and this useless fuck will come back in and play like a bottom third qb and i will continue to have to see him on the field.

ugh... have i told you how much i hate sanchez?