Shooting at Connecticut Elementary School

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by TheCoolerGlennFoley, Dec 14, 2012.

1. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Right BIg Country but this event expands the classification.

idk. the whole thing is fucked.

Edit: We didn't have to take our shoes off and put them through the X-Ray Scanner until the bomber botched the shoe bomb on the plane.
    They don't F*ck around either. I just flew to LA and back, they made an elderly woman in a wheelchair take her shoes off and scan them.

#441 GQMartin, Dec 19, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  2. gopats88

gopats88 Member

It seems pretty important to point out when false information is being spread to advance a particular political agenda. I don't know why you can't acknowledge that.

The rifle twist rate is something that is designed into the barrel of the gun based on the shape and velocity of the round. It is possible to purchase aftermarket barrels with different twist rates, or have them custom made, but it would be unusual. Having an "improper" twist rate can cause the bullet to yaw and tumble a little bit, which will cause it to enter its target at an unusual angle. Your friend might be right about this creating a "more devastating" wound, I'm not really sure. However, this would usually be considered undesirable because of the accompanying loss of accuracy, and I think it's safe to assume that the Sandy Hook shooter didn't select any particular rifle barrel because of these characteristics. He just used what was available to him.

3. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

unless you fact check and verify references for everything you read you can get off you hypocritical soap box because you are exactly what you are criticizing. And I willing to bet you don't. it isn't uneasonable to discuss the statement under the guise it is true.

4. JetBlue

And there is a huge difference between pointing out the info is wrong, as you did, and claiming anyone who believed it is some irrational hysteric, like he did, and then setting a criteria that he likely doesn't adhere to himself as a standard for reasonable behavior.

his statement wasn't about correcting misinformation, it was about self applause. and he likely doesn't even warrant that by his own behavior because the very criteria he sets forth isnt reasonable behavior. there is a huge difference between a reporter fact checking before publication and readers fact checking everything they read before commenting. that latter is a criteria so f'ing stupid it shouldn't even have to be addressed.

who fact checks every item they read before commenting on it online? nobody. and that was what his position entailed.

5. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

Haven't read the whole tread, but one thing is a no brainer. Don't ever sell clips that hold more than 5 rounds for ANY weapon, other than to law enforcement. If you can't wrap your head around that, you might be the next guy to massacre 26 people.

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Yes, lets station a quarter of a million low paid civil servants living barely above the poverty level and carrying automatic weapons at public venues across the country. That couldn't possibly go wrong, go wrong, go wrong...

Better yet, we're about to layoff a huge number of postal workers, who are already low-paid and living barely above the poverty level. We can save on the severance packages by just switching them to this new duty.

Here's my common sense feeling of the proposition: putting a large number of automatic weapons on the street is going to get lot of people shot. It's just the way the numbers and human interactions work out.

Countries without gun ownership rights have similar overall crime levels to those in the US. They have a metric fuck-ton fewer shooting victims and homicides in general. When you look at the data on that basis people don't shoot people, guns shoot people. Capeesh?

#446 Br4d, Dec 19, 2012
  7. 21stAmendment

21stAmendment Member

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/335996/newtown-answers-nro-symposium#

Is this the dumbest thing you have ever read or what?

Not only is this the dumbest thing I've ever read by someone who is paid to write, it's not even accurate. Sandy Hook Elementary is K-4 not K-6, so there wasn't any huskier 12 year-old boys. And there were males present at the school, a 4th grade math student and a custodian who by some report went door to door to make sure classrooms were locked from the outside. Finally, does this idiot not know the differnce between a box cutter and an assault weapon?

#447 21stAmendment, Dec 19, 2012
  8. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

The ammo was all I focused on in the post you replied to. I was intent in not moving off the subject of it. You were so angry about the ammo, I corrected your assumption you based off a news report that was false. Now you have a "friend" who is still leading you down the path that the ammo was used to create more damage. He and his mother regulary shot at a range. These types of bullets are ment to be safer in ranges. There was no pre meditation that they would cause more bullets. As Gopats pointed out, if you went for an after market barrle you could achive unintended results, but that was not the case here.

Should we out law Knives becaseu we have such a high rate of stabbings in the united states? Or should we look into a society that allows the mentally ill to go unnoticed through our school system?

Peopel like to point to the Belcher incident as a act of rage. Guess what, this guy was talking about it months before it happened.

http://nesn.com/2012/12/jovan-belch...hooting-kasandra-perkins-police-records-show/

As more facts come out, it makes it more obvious that this guy was unstable. Would him not having a gun made it any less likely that he would take Perkins life? We'll never know, but we do know that he had talked about killing her long before he actually did.

As for the body count issue, these two incidents still don't scratch the surface of Timothy McVeigh in which no guns were used. Keep focusing on the guns and not the violence in our society. Focus on things that are not fact, live in fear, and trust every news report you read. Thats the sure road to freedom....

9. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I tend to. See, I actually read the news, and if I'm unclear on things or when they step outside of my knowledge on somethign I'm interested in, I look it up. I'm already on a computer and a google serch takes about five seconds. I guess its easier to be lazy, dumb, and angry though. Congratz!

10. JetBlue

no you don't, and it is absurd to even attempt to claim. nobody knows everything about every item of news they read, so you would be fact checking so many times just to get through any article you would hardly read any news.

it doesn't make anyone lazy, dumb and angry to discuss something that is stated from the perspective of whether it is true. if it is proven false, and you continue to do so, then it reflects negatively upon you.

did you look up the birth records of every child killed in Newtown to verify their age or the truth of their existence, or did you take it for granted that it was true what was reported? if you did the latter, congratulations, you are lazy, dumb, and clearly angry attempting to wage such an asinine defense.

11. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

It is quite dumb especially when you see jonnyd's post a few pages back about the custodian who was attempting to give CPR to a student.

Keep spinning, the ammo is a minor detail here. Clearly you failed to read where I stated in the post that you just quoted where I said " So I would guess that while the bullets might not be setup to cause devestating damage the gun can be manipulated to cause damage that would kill." I never said he manipulated anything, just that it could be in which case the ammo could be more deadly then it is intended for.

Yes let's outlaw knives because obviously they serve no other purpose then to stab people. In case you missed it all 22 of those kids in China got to go home and hug their parents again after that guy stabbed them. To compare the damage done by knives to the the damage done by guns is laughable.

The OKC bombing, yes the one event that people who have a hard on for guns like to point to and say "see people will just build bombs if they don't have guns" let's ignore that intellegence has grown leaps and bounds regarding terrorists both domestic and foriegn since 1995 or that there has not been an event in this country outside of 9/11 that equals OKC in terms taking down buildings. There have been 31 schools shootings since Columbine killing more then 200 children. There have been no bombings since OKC. Sorry, we have roughly 11000 people a year killed by shootings in this country a year and I'm sure I can find the data but I would veneture to guess we have had less then 20 killed by bombings since OKC.

What is not a fact? Is it not a fact that 20 6 and 7 year olds in Connecticut are dead? Is it not fact that strict gun laws prevented this lunatic from purchasing firearms legally leading him to steal them from his mother who for some reason had an assualt rifle that could kill multiple people in seconds? Is it not a fact that some lunatic in Colorado walked into a movie theater in Colorado killing 14 people? 6 people at a Sikh temple? 2 people at a mall in Oregon? Are these illusions of my imagination? Why do these things not happen in Western Europe or East Asia? Why do they not happen in Canada? Australia? New Zealand? We are supposed to be better then them yet we can not protect our own school children in their school.

12. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

The amount of people who are shot and killed or injured based on a whim or a moment of anger or rage happens all the time almost every day in this country. That's opportunity. Tim McVeigh was not acting out a moment of rage and just happened to have enough explosives in his mom's house to blow up a building.

Having semi-automatic and automatic weapons with all kinds of amo and clips hanging around the house of millions of people is opportunity that is simply not necessary.

This kid may have planned to use an explosive if he didn't happen to know his mom had a small arsenal for him to take at the moment he decided to act? Hard to know but one things for sure kids are shot at an alarming rate in this country by guns and it happens very quickly.

13. Br4d

Husky 12 year olds > automatic weapons

So are middle-aged janitors who have creaky knees.

If the world was full of husky 12 year olds and middle-aged janitors we'd never have gun homicides. It says so in that article.

It's kind of amazing that the National Review is now trolling for low information readers. Given the trends in conservatism as a whole it's not totally surprising but I'd never have guessed that the National Review and Rush Limbaugh shared a clientele. Fellow travelers? Maybe. Use of the same resources? William F. Buckley must be rolling in his grave.

14. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

Lanza's Barber talks about that strange kid:
    http://kdvr.com/2012/12/20/adam-lanzas-barber-newtown-killers-mother-ran-his-life-spoke-for-him/

I'm not sure I'd want to tell the world I was responsible for those hideous haircuts, but that's another story all together

15. JetBlue

his barber? this is just scraping the bottom of the barrel of the news.

and the irony being when people kill themselves, the media tries to blame bullying or other social issues, and mourns the person. I have never read a report of a suicide with the commentary saying "good, glad he offed himself rather than killing others too." Had Lanza killed himself the same people today wishing he would have just killed himself would have been lamenting that he had.

hindsight is obviously 20/20, but we should all be glad that every person that only killed themselves did so rather than the Lanza alternative.

16. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

17. NotSatoshiNakamoto

The sad part is that it seems the entire town knew this kid was bat shit crazy. Did they also know his mother that he lived with had an arsenal?

Here's an idea. If you know of a whacko that has access to guns report it. That scenario is the one we need to eliminate.

18. JetBlue

the mother is, undoubtedly, equally responsible for this tragedy. my wife said she felt bad for the mother; I told her absolutely not, she taught a mentally ill kid how to shoot and then obviously did not do enough, if anything at all, to keep him from having free reign to her arsenal. the moment any other person was murdered by him she deserved what she got.

19. Br4d

Every small town in America has a few people that a lot of other people believe to be bat shit crazy. Many small towns have people that a lot of other people know have assembled a small arsenal. In some cases these groups overlap.

I have neighbors that if you told me they had automatic weapons I'd be somewhat concerned about that development. I don't know what possible grounds I would have to go inform on them though. I don't even know what I'd be informing on them about. Legal ownership of dangerous devices? Their tendency to go off half-cocked in property disputes? Their occasionally stated preference for whoever had them pissed off at the moment to go to hell?

It's a fact that you can never tell for sure what somebody is going to do until they've gone and done it. There's no magic way to determine if somebody who is a bit unstable is going to stabilize or get worse. For most of us there's no good way to determine whether somebody is just eccentric or bat shit crazy or if it is the first time we've seen them is just having a bad day.

Odds are pretty good that anybody we'd care to try to evaluate lies somewhere on that spectrum but it is a long spectrum and very few people are actually on the bat shit crazy end of it. And we're not really qualified to figure that out anyway unless we have the latest DSM in hand and a wall full of degrees that would make Sigmund Freud and Hannibal Lechter proud.

#459 Br4d, Dec 20, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  20. NotSatoshiNakamoto

The problem isn't guns, it's crazy people with guns. Crazy people shouldn't have access to guns. I think we as a country need to focus on the problem rather than just creating some laws that don't really address the problem.

I think that households with crazy people shouldn't be allowed to have fire arms of any sort. Forget about assault rifles, they shouldn't be allowed to have a bb gun.

To me it would seem reasonable that we could have some state or federal agency, like child services that could follow up on such reports - do an investigation - and remove guns from homes where crazy beyond a shadow of a doubt people live.