The Greg McElroy bandwagon (ultimate under-dog)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mambo9, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

It would be a major break for this franchise if McElroy turned into a productive player and therefore I'm not expecting it. Lol

2. BleednGreen247

the worst thing for the Jets is if McElroy plays well and the offense looks good

We will then retain Tony Sparano, which is the worst thing that can happen to the New York football Jets this offseason

3. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

What Mcelroy has going for him is he probably hasn't taken many reps or been over coached by the Jets brain trust. He still has his college and high school coaching to lean on. While a decided plus over Sanchez and Tebow, it's not going to be enough to launch an NFL career with.

4. rico college

rico college Well-Known Member

What other choice do we have?

All these Tebow lovers are smoking something, the guy is a bum. He was only hear to sell PSL's and to get airtime on ESPN.

Sancho is a bust. Period.

McElroy is all we got. Lets all get behind him, push and see what happens.

What's the worse thing that can happen?

He can't Run into somebody's a$$ and fumble in our only Thanksgiving day game in a million years.

5. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

It would be great if he can be for the Jets exactly what he was at Alabama, a smart game manager that moves the offense forward and protects the ball. In fact he threw just 10 interceptions in 658 career attempts, which was the best mark in Alabama and SEC history. His worst game at Alabama he still had a greater than 50% completion percentage.

If he can show us that in these last 2 games, and show that he has some zip on the ball I am all for penciling him in a QB1 for next year, drafting some prospect as competition and having Sanchez ride pine until he redoes his contract to something that would make it attractive for trade.

6. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I agree with the notion that we need to get behind McElroy because he's all we got and I personally think he's shown some promise... but we played on Thanksgiving two years ago. Then I think three years before that we did too against the Cowboys.

7. I Am The Stig

I Am The Stig Active Member

Ah the Cowboys thanksgiving game was a disaster and the thanksgiving game after that was Brad Smith's personal highlight reel. I miss him now

8. Ryan76

Ryan76 New Member

I'm all aboard this bandwagon, really excited to see him do well. Manage the game good decisions. Hopeful.

9. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Even though the Jets are eliminated, I'm looking forward to this game so much. Feels good to see Jets finally give somebody else a chance. Gonna be a great game to attend. Late pick, no respect for so long, not even activated so often, this is the underdog we should all be getting behind.

10. Barcs

Barcs Banned

He's our starter so I'm on the bandwagon. If McElroy shows us something over the next few games, we might be able to save a lot of money from that Sanchez hit next season.

11. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

At this point ill take 75 yards passing and 0 turnovers.

12. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

If we aren't going to keep Mark for next year and his career is in fact done with the Jets, I would LOVE LOVE LOVE if Mac would turn into a Tom Brady-type QB where he was drafted in the later rounds, people killed his arm strength (I still think he's Chad 2.0) but he becomes good and dominant.

Do I think it will happen? HELL NO. But I can dream, can't I?

13. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

How would we save money?

Also, love the sig. Post on any Knicks forums?

14. Bruce Harper

Bruce Harper New Member

The dude is quite accurate with the short stuff, which in itself is an improvement.

15. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Not sure whether bandwagon is the right concept, least for me. I am open minded about McElroy, but the little he has shown, while grounds for some hope, is quite simply too little data to make a confident projectoin about him.

The good news is that works both ways. There is certainly nothing in his play on the field that would tend to make anyone justified in a certainty he will fail. In fact he shows confidence and efficiency in running the team. Complaints about his arm strength are too pat to my mind. Chad had the worst arm in the NFL, but what really did him in was his fragility. Some are concerned GM is too small to take the hits an NFL Qb eventually will get. But that's speculation, too.

On balance it's not unreasonable to think GM could be a solid backup Qb next year, which would be one less piece the Jets have to worry about. Maybe in fact if he fills that role and continues to work hard, he could justify being a starter down the road at some point.

And the naysayers need to understand that there is even a possibility he can show he can start. I sure am not counting on that. But it is possible.

16. SuperBowl50

SuperBowl50 Member

Honestly, in this league, that's more valuable than deep accuracy. There's a reason why we haven't run screens very much.

17. Bruce Harper

Bruce Harper New Member

I was aware he had a high completion percentage and good TD/INT ration but I didn't know just how few INTs he threw relative to his number of passes. That's a good stat.

18. Bruce Harper

Bruce Harper New Member

So far, it seems like he may have two things we've been missing: accuracy on the short stuff; and a little bit of healthy swagger. He is confident and smart. And is used to a big stage. I think he's going to have a good couple of games. And then next summer the Jets will announce an "open competition" between Mac and Sanchez and I'll go jump off a bridge.

19. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Starting McElroy the last two MEANINGLESS games is a no-win situation and kind of unfair to McElroy. He's mopping up after Sanchez' mess behind a team that no longer has any incentive to ramp up the intensity like they did in the Cardinal game.

Greg McElroy in this lame duck scenario vs. Mark Fuckchez playing when something was still on the line is to me apples and oranges. McElroy's not going to put up any eye-popping stats nor should he be expected to since he's more a game managing type QB to begin with. But, more to the point, just watch should he come out of week 16 &17 with so-so stats ... the Cuntchez choir will resume their "Metro Mark's still the answer!" pussy farting.

20. Bruce Harper

Bruce Harper New Member

If you are suggesting that he would be better off continuing to sit on the bench or being inactive, I couldn't disagree with you more. When you are a seventh round pick, you can't wait for an ideal situation. You have to take advantage of any opportunity you get.

#80 Bruce Harper, Dec 19, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2012