The Greg McElroy bandwagon (ultimate under-dog)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mambo9, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

What a ridiculous thread. If this thread is any indication of how this board is going to be come preseason, this is going to be unbearable.

I lived through 6 years of arguments on this board about how Pennington could not win in the NFL because of his poor arm and Pennington was a first round draft pick who won in the NFL.

Pennington's arm is a bazooka compared to McElroy. I have never seen an NFL QB with a weaker arm. Plus he was a late round pick and has shown absolutely nothing in the NFL.

The only way McElroy sees the field this year is injuries to Sanchez and Tebow. He is a career back up at best.

2. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

from a media perspective Tebow might well be more talked about than any of those guys, which is where I was going with that statement. I would also like to point out it is a damn shame that Tebow (at this stage of his NFL career) is even in the conversation it is ridiculous.

3. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

Funny how the day Penny left, our fanbase has been clamoring for his return, and now that they found an extremely comparable player on paper, thats all they want.

4. Sloup

Sloup Active Member

Dude. All the guy does is win.

[Obligatory Note of Sarcasm]

5. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Try to follow this, if you are really interested.

Now, no doubt there are some here, I am guessing you are one of them, who think we as Jet fans on a message board should be talking about nothing else than how we expect Sanchez will have a very good to great year this coming season. Some others may mix that expectation with hope, even with some level of homer optimism that is recognized as such.

That does not describe all of us.

After much back and forth early this off season, I came to the conclusion, somewhat reluctantly, that the Jets should give Sanchez another season. They have too much invested in him, and there were two many questions and variables and they sort of added up to there maybe being not enough support for him last year, and there was no certainty that he would fail if given more support in the coming year.

But...

On the whole, I think it more likely than not that either Sanchez will be somewhere in the mediocre range to as bad as he was last year, which was less than mediocre. I think it is unlikely that he will ramp it up to be a top half of the league Qb, which would not be unreasonable given where he was picked in the draft and this being his fourth year in the league. Well, forget where he was picked - he has never shown that he is likely to develop into that kind, that level of quality, of Qb.

And let's not even waste time talking about Tebow, who I don't consider a real NFL Qb.

So, if Sanchez fails, and Tebow we already know is not the answer, what then?

I am far from as down on McElroy as you. I know many will say and with some degree of merit that the backup or even third string Qb will always have an undeserved popularity. But McElroy is not some scrub who just walked in off the street. Describing him as having the weakest arm in the NFL, as you implied, is just plain hyperbole. He has his talent, and virtue.

And of course there's the fact that if Sanchez fails to improve significantly, and Tebow is as bad a fit as most of us recognize, and McElroy in fact is not a realistic candidate to ever be an NFL Qb, then...

That means the Jets are back to square one, and it will likely take three to five more years before we see a competitive Qb in a Qb oriented league take the field.

Hope that clears it up for you why this is not a ridiculous thread.

6. Dirty6Sanchez

Dirty6Sanchez Well-Known Member

Roll Tide....

7. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

So I was wrong about Tebow in June..

You were saying?

8. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Go McElroy!!!!!

9. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Haha didn't even remember i made this thread... (although i'm pretty sure at the time I was joking)... oh well, Go G-Mac!

10. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

It will be interesting to see if McElroy can make enough of an impression in these last two games to be a viable candidate to start next year.

Anything to keep Sanchez off the field.

11. talisaynon

talisaynon Well-Known Member

At the very least McElroy won't sound like a fucking pussy at the podium.

12. Bannon

Bannon New Member

His arm isn't strong enough, and his overall physical strength is not enough.

He's tried to improve it with technique, but under duress the duck comes out.

13. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Good move by the Jets. See how he looks over the next two games, if not good, hit the draft for a developmental QB. Bench Sanchez, trade Tebow. Job done.

14. Ben Had

Ben Had Active Member

WOW...Spot on!! You notice NYJUNC never posted in this thread.

Could you please send me the power ball numbers?:up:

15. I Am The Stig

I Am The Stig Active Member

I'd like to hope that there is something special with the kid that we don't know about, hence why he wasn't shipped off when he blasted the team in the off season.

16. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Well, some people here probably think my ego is already too big, but thank you nonetheless. Heh.

17. NFL

NFL Active Member

Thing about McElroy is..

I think that he'll be a good fit. I saying this off of what I've heard many people talk about him. If he can hold onto the ball, and not hit the other guys in the hands he'll work out. We don't have a fancy offense that'll throw a these passes that make highlights, we have and will have a conservative offense. People question his arm strength, but in reality these jets don't throw passes past 30 yards so does it really matter that much. Also, from his highlight videos it doesn't seem like he has a weak arm.

I like Sanchez, really feel bad for the guy, and I think that he would get another shot on another team and might even be successful. Seeing the look on his face playing for the jets is almost heartbreaking for me. I think that he'll be fine somewhere else where he's not under the spotlight and he gets confident.

What do you guys think about Greg starting for the Jets? I just think that as long as he doesn't throw picks and fumble that he can be effective.

18. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

i think its 2 weeks to late. what does it matter now, our season is over? if he played monday we'd still have a shot.

obviously its worth still starting him,just to see what we have. but screw rex and MT and the FO. they all need to go. especially rex.

19. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

I made a long post about this, but it got deleted.

In short, I see GMac as a special quarterback for the New York Jets. He just 'gets it', and I think he will lead us to many, many successful seasons.

The players won't mail it in to 6-10 with him starting, that's for sure.

20. BleednGreen247

get me landry jones in the 2nd round