The 800lb Gorilla in the room: How do the Jets get Rex to DC?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Br4d, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Gruden worked for the 49ers, the Packers, the Eagles, the Raiders and then the Bucs. In the first four stops the organization was focused on building up the QB and very successful in doing so.

In Tampa Bay he took a journeyman QB and won the Super Bowl with the defense the guy before him had installed. The guy before him was an excellent defensive coach but Gruden is the guy who won a Super Bowl with his defense.

After that, well things don't always go as planned and the Bucs didn't really have access to a franchise QB prospect during Gruden's tenure. They didn't have 1st round picks in his first two seasons.

2. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Fire Tanny bring in a new HC and if he wants Rex to stay pay him more then he can get anywhere else in the NFL. If the new HC doesn't want him and we try and keep him anyway it's a huge mistake. Rex needs to be shown the door after the last 2 years.

3. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Honestly, if the Jets draft a pass rusher in the 1st round, I wouldn't have a problem with it. That's the only way I would defend taking a defensive player. Whether at tight end, receiver, running back or quarterback, the Jets need a playmaker on offense. Wouldn't hut to grab another offensive lineman either obviously.

4. barkus

barkus Well-Known Member

yes, rex is a buffoon and clueless about offense. However, this same team with an average game manager qb is probably a 9-10win team. Add in another 1-2playmakers on O, some more speed at the LB position and this is a strong playoff contender. Draft a qb somehwere in rounds 3-7every year until you hit on one (ie: russell wilson, cousins, etc)

5. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

You can't hit on a QB with no management in place to develop him.

6. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

Good head coaches don't leave the only other viable QB in street clothes with the season on the line.

Good head coaches take the play calling away from the OC when it's not going well and bring a spark to the offense. Buddy couldn't do that nor can Rex nor Rob. Rex wouldn't be able to pick an offensive play to run if his job depended on it, and his job may very well be at stake these last 2 weeks.

Rex is a DC and a motivator. He as zero influence on the offense other than GnP philosophy that's dated and is out of touch with today's rules of the game.

After the end of last year and seeing them play flat on more occasions than not this year I have to question his role as motivator as well.

His decisions and his reasoning for those decisions aren't soundly thought out and are flat out wrong. Does he have anyone in his inner circle that's not a yes-man and can tell him he's out of his mind? If not get a new inner circle.

I like Rex but he's not proving to be HC material. If he gets another chance next year he better prove it or he'll be a career DC after this fiasco. That chance better include superglue to glue Sanchez's ass to the bench.

7. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

You do realize the Jets defense allowed the Titans to march right down the field right after the Jets scored?

And you are wrong, great defenses do not give up 30 points routinely, Steelers, Niners, Ravens, Giants, don't routinely do this. The Giants SB run last year, their defense allowed less than 20.

I have no clue what great teams you are watching.

8. Br4d

This is kind of where I am.

Rex has lost control of the team and its fortunes. There really isn't much of a record of the coach getting things back together again after that.

People like to make the Buddy comparison but I think Rex is more like Ditka. A big gregarious guy who believes in his guys and will go the extra mile for them. Unfortunately he has gone from being the Bears Ditka to being the Saints Ditka in record time.

I just don't see how he recovers from that.

9. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Why would Payton take a co head coach job? He has a Super Bowl winning resume and his family still lives in Dallas. If he leaves the saints it's to move closer to his children.

Also, co head coaches? There have been assistant head coaches like Callahan under Rex, but co head coaches is a nightmare waiting to happen. A team needs one leading voice. Think of what would happen if we draft heavily offense or defense, one coach feels he is being set up to fail. There is a resin you have one face of the organization responsible for wins and losses. No infighting and only one direction for the team to look for leadership.

Also, back to the point of ego. These men feel they are the best at their job. Making it as an NFL coach requires hard work, talent, and the ability to lead men. Both Payton and Rex want to be the focal point of the team. I can not see a situation where one of them would accept taking any thing less. It is called head coach for a reason.

10. DemoIsland

DemoIsland Member

I don't think it is possible to move Rex down. Todd Haley may be on his way out of Pitt. Possible option.

11. Br4d

The nightmare for the Jets at this point is that they lose continuity on the defensive side of the ball because Rex departs somehow.

The personnel on the defensive side is talented as a result of spending lots of picks on that side of the ball over the last few years. That said, the talent is not a normal talent grouping for either a 3-4 or a 4-3.

Wilkerson and Coples are both capable 3-4 DE's but neither of them is likely to really shine there. They're probably better fits as 4-3 DT's but we haven't really seen that in play much. What they're really good for is the 46. They both get to line up over a G or the C in that alignment and they can be dominant since it's next to impossible to double-team them.

The Jets have no 4-3 DE's and really they have no reliable 3-4 NT. Pouha and Devito are both run-stoppers without a lot of ability to get push against the passing game. Ellis is injury-prone and inconsistent, looking great on one play and getting owned on the next.

The linebackers are a group in need of a major talent infusion. Demario Davis is a good young player. Everybody else who gets snaps right now is prime to post-prime and slowing down. This is actually a plus since Davis and Harris can play in any of the fronts moving forward and the Jets need to go get a LB or two anyway so they can pick the skills they need when they do that.

The defensive backs are fine but they're not all going to be here moving forward and 2 of the 3 best DB's Darrelle Revis and LaRon Landry are both longshots to still be with the team going into 2014.

It's a talented but challenging group to mold into the elite unit they look to be. They've all been acquired to Rex's specifications for his hybrid 3-4/46 and if he leaves things might easily settle in a bad place in the end.

#51 Br4d, Dec 18, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  12. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

^^^ Thank you.

13. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Always kindly REMEMBER that RR choose MS so the only person responsible for MS brimg a NYJ is RR. With that choice RR showed that his abilities as a talent guru are a big fat zero. further if MS was not enough to see how good RR is that department then try John Connor. No matter how U wish to spin it those are facts Jack :sad:

14. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

Mark Sanchez was a Tanny pick. Rex was a brand new head coach who had no business unilaterally trading up in the draft for a qb. What are you talking about?

15. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

Am I understanding the premise correctly?? Are you saying we'd replace Rex with another HC, but he'd stick around to be the DC? Here's how you do it ... Build a machine that would allow you to teleport yourself out of the real world and into fantasy land.

No head coach on earth would ever stay with his team and take a demotion to be a coordinator. Especially not a guy with the ego of Rex Ryan.

It's like moving your younger, hotter mistress into your house ... but asking your wife to stick around because she's really good at cooking and raising the kids. Never gonna' happen.

16. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

Rex says a lot of bullshit. If we had gotten peyton manning Rex would be calling for the air manning offense. I do not think Rex is married to the ground and pound, it is just a window dressing term for the fact that thejets can not throw.

17. Br4d

I think it would be a very hard sell. I just think Rex has bottomed out at this point and I don't know where we go from here. He's not going to have more talent next year than he does this year. He very possibly will have less if the Revis situation forces a move.

If you don't think that Rex can get to top form as a head coach while also performing many of the roles of a DC, and I think that is doubtful, then you're stuck with either moving him to DC or just moving him out.

Bill Cowher went to the playoffs 6 years in a row when he took over the Steelers. He got to the Super Bowl his 4th year. That's what got him all that rope to swing on.

Rex hasn't come close to that record and the Jets are already rebuilding. It just doesn't look good for the old keep him for 10 years and see what happens plan.

18. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

'Best coaches' don't lose touch with their locker room to the point that their star players are outwardly fighting on the field and his OC has to bench one of them because the HC had no idea there was a problem...

19. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

There's no way Rex would accept that. He has to go.

His arbitrary decision to "play Tebow the 3rd series" and stubborn never-say-die love affair with Sancho tells you everything you need to know, not to mention his in-game decision making and clock management.

He has no feel for the game. Cookie cutter / random pre-planned gimmicks are all he can come up with.

The stage was set for Tebow to come in with :48 left at the 25 yard line and run into the end zone. Rex sends back Sancho in there for turnover #5, and the rest is history...

20. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

We just need a real OC to come in and Rex can give him the offense and not be a part of it, Thats what needs to happen Sparano wasn't the answer he is now part of the problem.I think if you bring in Norv Turner and give him the keys to the offense and let him do it "his" way then that could end up being the right move.