If Rex Has No Faith in His Backup

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dr.velociraptor, Dec 18, 2012.

1. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

After the run by McKnight and the run by Tebow that should have been IT until later in the game. You just picked up two big gains on a gimmick formation, now its time to go back to your base formation on offense.

FWIW -- Sanchez was 5 of 7 before Tebow came in and took over that 3rd drive. After the drive, 8 of 21 with 4 INTs. :rofl:

It's time to see what we have in McElroy and their will be a QB competition at the start of Training Camp.

2. JJBagoose

JJBagoose Active Member

I hear what your saying but once McElroy stepped in a was serviceable all of the crap should have went out the window.

He should have been given another chance when it actually counted.

3. Aewhistory

Aewhistory Well-Known Member

Then either Rex is a puppet/stooge or the FO and ownership are way too intrusive in basic football related decisions. In either event, this simply proves that this is a dysfunctional organization. The simple truth is that if this team cannot make fundamental roster moves like moving the third string QB to second string then we have no hope until a new regime is installed. That is ridiculousness in the extreme.

4. General Fan

General Fan New Member

You're able to tell all that from one series where we punted? When five other series resulted in turnovers. Extrapolate much?

5. NFL

NFL Active Member

If Tebow was active that game instead of Greg, Sanchez would of finished the game. Rex took the opportunity to bench Mark the moment Tebow was inactive. He would do it again if he didn't have to put Tebow in, obvious that Rexy didn't want him.

6. _Jet_

_Jet_ Member

I don't know if that's enough data to find a trend. Even Tom Brady's offense punts the ball often. The problem I see is the play design which shows the coaching staff hasn't understood spread option yet.

Just bear with me for one second: if you want to run on first down, why not let him run with 5 wide outs and empty backfield?
    5 defenders are tied to 5 wide outs. 1 deep safety. There are only 5 in the box. That's 5 offensive linemen + Tebow against 5 defensive players in the box. You can surely pick up 5 yards at first down which opens up every other options. This is not a gimmick. Just run it again and again until defense move one more into the box. Now there is either some wide out uncovered, or no deep safety. That's when Tebow's passing game shines. He can play playaction by himself.
    Just saying. I didn't invent this stuff. I have watched this too many times. It's hard to stop, and actually this could be the real magic behind last season Tebow's magic comebacks in the 4th quarters.

7. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

:rofl::rofl:

So Rex would've taken "too much heat" moving our backup who hasn't been used effectively all season to third on the depth chart after McElroy won us a game and jolted the offense, team, and fans? That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. We have other NFL QB's sitting starters making 10 mil for their 3rd stringer, and other coaches benching guys who were the 4th rated QB in the league and Rex can't move his backup to third on the depth chart?

8. General Fan

General Fan New Member

No more heat than he is getting right now. If he doesn't believe in Tebow he should have had McElroy ready regardless of the media SINCE THE SEASON WAS ON THE LINE. This was bungled from the get go.

9. NFL

NFL Active Member

He would when the backup QB is the most talked about fucking player in the NFL.

10. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

The sad part is Rex decided to dress 6 wide receivers for the game, leaving BigMac home to watch the game from his sofa. Rex has never dressed 6 WRs for a game, ever, but he did it last night at the expense of dressing his 3rd QB option.

If Rex had to change ONE THING last night, that would be it. And we'd still be talking playoffs.....

11. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

You're crazy... Tebow is a revolving joke now, this isn't the second week of the season. McElroy already won the Jets a game, if Rex had no intention of playing Tebow he shouldn't be suiting him as the backup. It's his job to make decisions and provide leadership.

#31 dr.velociraptor, Dec 18, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  12. _Jet_

_Jet_ Member

Please explain to me why a backup player who didn't ass fumble, who didn't force into coverage, who has done everything for this team is a 'revolving joke'? Please get yourself some good rest. You need it.

13. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

I would bet that has nothing to do with it.

If the comments were a problem, they would have already replaced McElroy in the offseason. Or they wouldn't have played him vs Arizona.

The Jets think they're cute saving a roster spot with Tebow. I really think that's it, they think that with Tebow, they can fill a few roles with one player, and that gives them the freedom to do other things, like dress six receivers...

14. NFL

NFL Active Member

Do we even have 6 receivers?

Braylon
    Chaz
    Kerley
    Gilyard
    White?

Who else?

15. NFL

NFL Active Member

Tebow is a joke? Nobody talks about him anymore? Are you fucking serious? What other backup QB gets an article saying that he's probable to play? When the started is healthy? On NFL.com? Tebow still has his followers.

16. XX2

XX2 New Member

Because McElroy had a little success the one time he got to play. Having him active would've put more pressure on Sanchez, and fans would be screaming even louder for a QB change.

17. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Rex played McElroy because he had no other choice. For the most part this season, it was scout team duty for McElroy and a seat on gameday.

Even when Sanchez is playing from the bottom of the toilet bowl, McElroy doesn't suit up. Why he's kept on the roster is almost as big a mystery as why Tebow was added in the first place.

We all know why Holmes is still a Jet. His contract is the only reason.
    This organization hates controversy and in particular, really public ones. McElroy committed that sin and is will continue paying the price for that.

18. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I think there is something conspiratorial going on here, which is not my basic worldview. But I don't think it's your theory. After all, the Jets just played their last two games on the road.

19. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Really? The Jets hate controversy? Every move the Jets have made the last two offseasons have been controversial. The Jets LOVE controversy. It sells newspapers.

I'm 99% sure it has to do with the Jets thinking Tebow can fill multiple roster spots in one, combined with blind faith that Sanchez can get his shit together enough to beat a bad defense like the Titans.

Tebow was the backup QB since day one. That's what the Jets have said ever since they got him. McElroy is behind Tebow. That's why he's been inactive. I think the Jets like having Tebow active because they can use him to dick around in certain packages.

20. Concerned_Citizen

Concerned_Citizen New Member

Might be the most popular bench warmer in the history of the game.