Shooting at Connecticut Elementary School

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by TheCoolerGlennFoley, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

Yes - let's look at deaths caused by drunk driving. There has been a crack down on drunk driving beginning in the 1980s - raising the drinking age, increased penalties for drunk driving, check points, etc.

Here are the numbers:

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) 32,885 people died in traffic crashes in 2010 in the United States (latest figures available), including an estimated 10,228 people who died in drunk driving crashes, accounting for 31% of all traffic deaths last year.

Since NHTSA began recording alcohol-related statistics in 1982, drunk driving fatalities have decreased 52% from 21,113 in 1982. Since the inception of The Century Council and our national efforts to fight drunk driving, drunk driving fatalities have declined 35% from 15,827 in 1991. (Source: NHTSA/FARS, 2011)

So, your presumptions and facts are wrong.

We can't eliminate gun violence, but if we take some of the sensible actions discussed in this thread to control guns and increase gun safety, the ridiculous number of gun deaths will dramatically decrease over time.

2. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Our government can and does come and get people with frightening frequency. We have the largest lock up in the world. If I thought for a minute the well-armed population of this country was in any way going to expand freedom and personal rights I would like to see it happen. The same right wing gun rights nuts have supported the slow whittling away of individual rights on a daily basis.

3. milo

milo Well-Known Member

Wow, this could have been bad:

http://news.yahoo.com/ind-man-47-guns-arrested-school-threat-164928349.html

And again, I do not believe at all that people who want to own guns responsibly should not be allowed, but there's something wrong with someone who feels the need to accumulate 47 of them.

That in and of itself should be a sign that they MAY be a little unstable.

4. deathstar

deathstar Well-Known Member

^Your New America.

5. 2insane

2insane Well-Known Member

It is about keeping it out of the hands of the wrong people.

6. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Then it's up to the authorities to "Flag" such an individual.
    There has to be checks in place for this and it's up to the elected officials to have these checks in place.

and jftr , "Gun Collector" is one thing when you actually are buying classic guns to in which some can't even fire.
    But to use a collector as an excuse for you to have assault weapons lined up on your wall is bullshit.

7. gopats88

gopats88 Member

Non-lethal bullets that have the same trajectory and recoil as traditional bullets, and can be used in the same guns? Do these actually exist? If not, there really isn't a point in "practicing" with conditions that don't accurately simulate a "real" shooting scenario.

And no one is going to figure out a way to bypass that system and create an electrical charge? Give me a break. I honestly think that I could personally "hack" any system that you could come up with to try to prevent a gun from shooting. And though I am pretty handy, and an engineer by trade, I'm far from being the most creative, intelligent person out there.

8. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Agree, the problem isn't with making guns safer.

It's with allowing guns to be purchased/obtained illegally
    and
    Allowing individuals to amass a fukin arsenal without checkpoints.

9. gopats88

gopats88 Member

I don't know... most guns used in these type shootings are obtained legally, and an "arsenal" isn't really necessary or even useful in trying to kill a bunch of people. A single gun with multiple magazines works just as well as anything else.

The biggest problems IMO are the following:
    • People who legally own guns are far too relaxed and trusting of the people around them
    • The media glorifies people who commit these atrocities
    • Our society rarely takes a proactive approach towards dealing with mentally unstable people.
    • Teachers, administrators, and police are rarely in any position to react until the dust has already cleared and the damage has been done.

10. Dirty6Sanchez

Dirty6Sanchez Well-Known Member

11. 2insane

2insane Well-Known Member

12. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

13. typeOnegative13NY

like i had said earlier,it is sickening the feeling after this tragedy is like the one after 9/11. our world has changed and the bar has been raised as far as human capability and how far they will go

14. Combustible Rextible

These people are sick.

The Patriot Guard is not going to this one bc it falls outside of their mission statement. They do have a note offering their sympathy on their website.
    http://www.patriotguard.org/

15. 21stAmendment

21stAmendment Member

@WestWingReport:
    [​IMG]

16. devilonthetownhallroof

devilonthetownhallroof 2007 TGG Fantasy Baseball League Champion

Drugs are a completely different animal. Far easier to smuggle in large quantities, can be produced fairly easily at home, and addictive. That analogy is deeply flawed.

This.

This is a terrible argument. Even if it takes 50 years to see even a 1% drop in gun deaths, why wouldn't we do it? If we do nothing there would be the same amount of deaths over the same time as you say it would take for legislation to start helping, so why wouldn't we take the path that leads to a decline?

You do realize that this is bullshit, right? Anything a person can get their hands on pales in comparison what the government has. But yeah, keep thinking your shitty rifles and handguns are what is stopping the government from bombing the shit out of you if they wanted.

Bingo. There is still no answer as to why any person in this country needs an automatic weapon. I'm not for banning all guns, (for hunting, mostly) but there really isn't a reason anyone needs to get off more than a round every ten seconds or so.

You ban the manufacture of them for sale to civilians. And impose extremely severe monetary penalties and jail time for executives of companies that fail to comply. You impose extremely severe monetary penalties and jail time for anyone selling or otherwise trafficking them. And you enforce these with a zero tolerance policy.

You extend this to ammunition as well. If the bullets for these weapons are sold only to the military, the scarcity on the black market will make this kind of sick event cost prohibitive.

No method available to common people is as efficient as an assault weapon. This kid got off over 100 rounds in an incredibly short time. There is no need for anyone to have access to this kind of firepower.

The difference is kitchen knives are made for cooking. Baseball bats are made for playing a sport. Crow bars are made for prying things. Chain saws are made for tree removal. Screwdrivers are made for removing and placing screws.

Guns are made for killing.

Which is why you start at the top. Sanctions on the people who make, sell, and distribute weapons. Those people are mostly just businessmen, and they WILL care.

17. typeOnegative13NY

so,lanzas mother was NOT a teacher at the school as was 1st reported? sorry for the questions,i chose to turn off the news friday evening after the media disgusted me

18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The media has done a horrible job of reporting the whole way through this. Everybody spent all day Friday trying to keep people tuned to their feed instead of hopping around and as a result nobody fact-checked ANYTHING before posting, reporting, airing, etc.

I think one of the other things that comes out of this is that the FCC needs to do a real investigation of how so much misleading and potentially harmful information was aired in the early hours of the tragedy when people who might actually need to know details or at least not be operating off of rumors had bad info all around them.

It's not a right to broadcast news. Free speech is one thing but broadcasting information that you could not possibly have verified during a crisis is another. Somebody should be held accountable for the lousy coverage. Probably a bunch of somebodies.

19. typeOnegative13NY

it was really bad. they were saying anything they wanted. i remeber hearing about someone ,a second shooter in the woods. A missing girlfriend in NJ,all kinds of crap. Then Greta van fuckedlip had a smile on her face because she was the 1st to interview the police chief. Thats when i had enough

20. typeOnegative13NY

i have no problem with some sort of gun control,but not without people accepting that guns dont pull their own trigger and there is something wrong in society everywhere from what is glorified,to mishandling mental illness in children and adults. Just focusing on the object is a band aid on cancer