Darrelle Revis?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by wildaces, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Revis will not net even a 1st round pick next season. Nobody is going to take a chance on his knee when they know they will get a chance to bid on him in 2014 already knowing the condition of the knee.

He might well land a 2nd round pick plus a conditional pick higher than that down the road. That's where somebody might decide to take a chance now instead of 2014.

The Jets are just screwed at this point. They either pay Revis a mint or he walks for the equivalent of a 3rd round pick in 2014.

2. wildaces

wildaces Banned

what is he worth?

Agreed!

3. wildaces

wildaces Banned

I don't agree. A second in 2013, and the 2014 conditional makes a lot of sense.

4. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

I don't know his pick value, but I'm pretty sure he's not worth to the Jets what he will be asking for money. He is a luxury we can not afford.

5. wildaces

wildaces Banned

Unless he takes a steep discount, which won't happen.

6. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

Problem is, not only did you ask those questions, but you then preceded to list some mind bogglingly silly trade scenarios such as us trading Revis AND a #1 pick for a MLB who hasn't played a single down in the NFL.

Small wonder that people are ignoring the other questions and attacking the silly scenarios.

If Revis is getting bundled with our #1 pick, then we'd better get the other teams entire draft.

7. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

Depends. Could always do a sign and trade or trade contingent upon a reworked deal.

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

There has to be an incentive for Revis to do this and a huge amount of that incentive would likely be cash up front. That makes a sign and trade problematic.

9. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Seems like u did most of ur home work. Except u missed a huge part of info. Revis is un-tradeable unless Jets are willing to take on a gigantic cap hit. Yeah, next time u can do some homework?

And the trade scenarios u present are the worst I've ever seen. We trade Revis, our 2013 and 2014 first rounders to pick ONE player???? Seriously, u don't know Revis' value? His value alone can net u a top 5 pick.

#29 Jets n Boys, Dec 15, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  10. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

ACL is easily repairable as opposed to MCL. They are both bad but ACL can put the player back to 100% as opposed to MCL. Not that MCL can't, but ACL is easily operable and has less lingering effect. This injury will not affect Revis' value...assuming he was tradeable in the first place.

11. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

If you take money and salary caps out of the equation there is no question about whether or not to keep Revis, or any other top of the line player.

But this is reality and not fantasy league material. Money does matter and salary caps are real and inflexible. If you have a top 5 pass defense without the all star corner, should you really cripple yourself long term in terms of cap space to keep him? Or are you better off spending the money on other positions and taking some chances on "lottery draws".

Hint, you cannot build a team around large contracts and build a good team. Washington tried that for years, Dallas still tries it, and what has it gotten them?

12. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

Isn't that equivilant to a 4th round pick, since the first compensatory picks are at the end of round 3?

13. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Adrian Peterson is pretty much setting the benchmark for whether anyone should significantly devalue Revis because of his knee.

14. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

As did Wes Welker 2 years ago. And Jamaal Charles is having a pretty decent year too.

15. AlmightyRevis

AlmightyRevis Member

Well put. Could not imagine anything more ridiculous

16. AlmightyRevis

AlmightyRevis Member

Ummm...really? So if you eliminate Calvin Johnson when you play the Lions or A.J. Green when you play the Bengals you are a non-factor.

Not to mention the extra defender he frees up for Rex and all his blitzes.

I understand the desire to assess the value of paying/keeping Revis given his price tag and our other needs...but to call him a "non-factor for most offensive game plans"...tough to comprehend.

17. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Don't do drugs kids.....

18. wildaces

wildaces Banned

Deleted....

#38 wildaces, Dec 16, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  19. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

you don't trade a proven player for a risk. and why would we give up our first rd pick in next years draft? Revis is untouchable.

Kansas City is not going to give up all of their picks for a cornerback, are you crazy? I would only consider trading Revis if he holds out on us again, which I don't think he will. he's under contract next season and he's coming off an ACL injury he has no bargaining chip.

I also wouldn't taken McFadden, he's too much of a liability.

I would however trade Cromartie and Harris for picks, any day.

#39 Ozymandias, Dec 16, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  20. DRC™

DRC™ Active Member

I wouldn't mind trading Revis if the right trade came along

I love the guy, prob my favorite player on the team, but you don't need to have a cornerback of his caliber to be a championship team. If trading him could help us get 2 or more good pieces to build a championship team, i would be all for it