Shooting at Connecticut Elementary School

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by TheCoolerGlennFoley, Dec 14, 2012.

1. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

I just went out to dinner with a few friends, and it hit home seeing mothers/fathers with their younger children. There are parents in Connecticut right now that can never do that again.

Sad, sad world we live in. Nothing but prayers and condolences for all the victims.

2. Cappy

Cappy Well-Known Member

Think of the Xmas presents they have already bought. It breaks my heart.

3. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

A couple years ago in China a man killed about 10 kids at school with a butcher knife. People kill people and the instrument used either makes their attack either more successful or less successful.

people are the main culprits plain and simple. since we can't just get rid of people the only other course of action is limit the instruments that can be the most deadly at the greatest ease.

More people throughout existence have been killed by other instruments than guns than by guns.

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The way I like to think of it is: Stingers don't bring down planes, people bring down planes. So obviously Stingers should be legal?

This is a horrible time to be arguing about what the appropriate level of armament for personal use should be in a civilized society. That said, the western countries that don't allow much use of firearms have far fewer homicides and a much lower homicide rate than the US does.

Adam Lanza's mother had the horrible fate of being shot in her own home with her own gun. Her son did something unspeakable after that with her gun and then he took his own life with her gun.

How exactly did she gain any security from having that gun?

#124 Br4d, Dec 14, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  5. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

at some point,these people are going to have to walk in their home and see it all decorated as they left it today. fuck this day

6. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

You can still live without social media as your parents did.
    I have never touched any of it - I have a high school daughter (Jr), captain and starting pitcher of the Softball team, #2 her in class, does community service for church, editor of the yearbook and does not own a cell phone, or have access to facebook etc. and she is doing perfectly fine without them.

The breakdown is parents in our society that would rather be their kids friend than actual be parents and set boundaries.

On the main topic of this thread - I am an elementary school teacher (5th grade) but pass the younger ones everyday. It is unimaginable how anyone could open fire on a group of 5-6 year old children.
    I am surprised but glad that I made it through the day without any word of this getting out in my school because it would have really shook me up even more so than hearing it when I got home.

Prayers to everyone affected in anyway in this tragedy.

7. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

That plays into it, we worship celebrities, athletes and nobodies who are rich. I know I may get ripped for it but people like Tebow who live by the word of God are made fun of. People like Lindsey Lohan who are worthless are glorified for their stupidity and Charlie Sheen viewed as a hero. People seek sick ways to became famous even if it ends with them dying.

Yes crime has been around since the dawn of time and I hate to use Europe as an example but I was in Spain and Portugal over the summer and the police in Portugal didn't even carry guns on them. Guns rights advocates like to use Norway as an example and yes that was tragic but that is one case when we have hundreds here in the states. These types of things don't happen in Japan, Taiwan, S. Korea, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Netherlands, and most other westernized nations. The biggest issue I have with guns rights people is their stance that automatically it's not the gun that did these crimes but offer no comprimise in how to fix this issue, because it's obvious that our unhealthy obsession with guns is leading to more and more of these. Maybe it's not the gun itself but it's the glorification of it.

8. typeOnegative13NY

As always,it is rooted at home. 99% or problems start there. This kid obviously had some deep hate for his parents. And by going after what he felt was dear to his mothers heart was most likely his revenge on whatever he felt she did(or didnt) do to him

9. typeOnegative13NY

the problem with gun control,is that the criminals do not get thiers through leagl means. Take away the legit guns from legit owners,you still have the confiscated stock pile being flooded out the back door to be sold on the street corner. it would either take years and years to work,or never work at all

10. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

A Wyoming fan on one of my other message boards posted this and it really touched me. I felt I should share it with you guys...

My heart is broken for those families and the community, especially this time of year, when, if you're not feeling the spirit, you just need to look at a five-year-old's eyes. These children, the staff, and the parents were victims of sheer cowardice. It's the most dangerous emotion there is, it's the "fear" smell that causes dogs and others to preemptively attack. Cowards are the greatest threat to our society. Some hide behind religion, some behind politics, some behind substance abuse, but all of them are guilty of indulging their own self-pity, the most instinctual act of cowardice.

That being said, let's not lose sight of our own courage in the face of such hard-to-fathom events. Humans being humans, these things will always happen. It's nature. Many want to deplore our society and "what it's come to..." but the reality is, we live in an incredibly safe time. The odds of anyone being the victim of homicide are at their lowest in generations, the odds of being the victim of random homicide even more astronomically low. Lest anyone believe such things are new to our age- the worst example of school violence occurred in 1927 when a school board member in Bath, Michigan detonated bombs killing 45 people including 38 children. Sadly enough, our history is littered with the senseless slaughter of those whose only transgression was presence in the face of someone else's cowardice.

While the coward responsible for this escaped the justice of our mortal world, his immortal memory, the work of his short, apparently unbearable life, will be as a repulsive coward, a young "man" in name only- one who lacked the manliness or humanity to confront himself and his own problems and instead committed an atrocity upon our children and our society, then hid from his acts, his responsibility, behind the insufferable rejection of the gift that makes all things possible, all hopes goals, and all dreams reality.

We have to, in the face of the sometimes tragedy of mortality, the uncertainty of human frailness and the very nature of the human condition, put on that brave face, and hold brave thoughts to show people like this waste of carbon, oxygen, and water, that we can't be defeated by horror, nor our progress towards a civil society made uncertain by fear. To borrow a term from the British- keep calm and carry on... but carry on with the memory of this abomination's victims and think 28 times harder, reflect 28 times harder, work 28 times harder, and play 28 times harder. Live your life 28 times harder.

11. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

So a kindergarten teacher felt the need to possess semi-automatic weapons? Can that be justified in any way?

12. typeOnegative13NY

its all very strange. i turned off the news hours ago due to it making me sick. But i know it was actually the younger brother. where is the older brother,and who was the one in the woods who was taken into custody?

13. CowboysFan

CowboysFan Banned

I felt nauseous after hearing Geraldo Rivera talk about what his younger brother (Geraldo's ) who is on location and what he witnessed (has to do with the parents that were still waiting outside for their kids when the police officers said "no more are coming out") . So I had the same physical reaction you did.

The older brother (not younger it was reported incorrectly due to the younger brother, the shooter, having his brother's ID) was in Hobokken at the time and right now he is not believed to be involved and is cooperating .

the report of the younger brother in the woods was false.

14. CowboysFan

CowboysFan Banned

I am pro 2nd amendment and its a little bizarre even to me to be honest.

#134 CowboysFan, Dec 14, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  15. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

the mom having the guns in her name and someone else using the weapons to kill makes the argument for stricter psychological checks.

the registered person can pass all the test and then gets killed by the nut and the nut goes on the shooting spree.

16. typeOnegative13NY

that is a strange collection of guns for a school teacher with a son with mental problems.

17. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

motherfucking sub human piece of shit I can't believe this what a sorry shitstain on humanity this fucker was. Cannot think of anything worse you can do in this life than hurt innocent little kids I just can't believe it

18. gopats88

gopats88 Member

I don't disagree that automatic weapons are unnecessary for personal use, however they are already much more strictly regulated than semi-auto rifles and handguns are, and are very rarely used in any sort of crime. I'd venture to guess that automatic firearms owners are one of the most law-abiding demographic groups that you can find. I'm almost positive that the same is true of concealed-carry licensed citizens. They are statistically something like 1000 times less likely to commit violent crimes than the general population.

I don't disagree with everything you say. Certain changes could definitely be appropriate. I just hate the reactionary nature that these type of tragedies bring out in people. Changes that take place immediately following incidents like this are very rarely well thought out.

19. typeOnegative13NY

im going to try and go to sleep soon and pray that it was all a bad dream and i wake up and it never happened. I dont want it to be that someone was capable of doing something like this.

20. Combustible Rextible

Oh man, I hadn't thought of that. I feel awful for the families. Just a terrible tragedy.