Shooting at Connecticut Elementary School

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by TheCoolerGlennFoley, Dec 14, 2012.

1. nyscene911

nyscene911 Active Member

2. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Agreed 100%

3. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Ive said it plenty already about this fucking gun issue...More idiots will fight against it but more and more this shit will happen.

I said it already in the Denver shooting thread. Wait till something so big happens people will finally shut the hell up and listen

4. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Ryan Lanza's parents found dead at the home...Apparently his mom is a teacher at the school too

5. Barcs

Barcs Banned

People wonder why my outlook on humanity is so damn pessimistic. This crap just keeps happening and the frequency of the events in increasing. What could possibly justify somebody to do something like this? It's not even like the guy was bullied in school. These were elementary school kids. It's disgusting.

I'm pretty sure this is going to change a few things with gun control. The past school shootings were bad, but nothing even close to this.

The problem is that technically it DOES make us safer. If the teachers in the school had guns they could have stopped this guy before he did major damage. If everyone had a gun, less people would have the balls to commit crimes. Banning guns won't do anything but give criminals an advantage over law abiding citizens.

Unfortunately it's not just about guns. It's about mental issues leading to people snapping like this. Are people just crazier than they used to be or what? Is it the hormones in the water? What the fuck is it? It seriously pisses me off, but the answer is not as simple as 'ban guns'. There are other weapons that these mentally fucked people could use to do similar damage or worse. How do we prevent people from flipping out and going batshit crazy?

#25 Barcs, Dec 14, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  6. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

7. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

because the world was perfectly fine and no atrocities occurred before guns.

wait, how did the massacre in Norway occur?

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This is a horrible thing that happened but the comment was hardly trivial.

9. Br4d

An extremist with a hunting rifle went shooting.

BTW, you tell me how to guarantee that the guys involved in both incidents can't possibly murder many people with a gun and I'm perfectly willing to listen.

10. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

I'll put it this way, I live in Canada which has much stricter gun control. Since Columbine there have been 3 killed in school shootings. In America? Over 200.

That's per wikipedia and they list killed for Canadians and "victims" for America but it usually specifies if people were just wounded (didn't count them) or if it was suicide by the shooter (which I didn't count because fuck them). So the numbers may not be 100% accurate but that is specifically school shootings, so it doesn't even include that massacre at the Dark Knight Rises midnight screening. Which, again, shit like that doesn't happen in Canada.

Even if you assume it's relatively accurate that's over 65 times more deaths in school shootings. USA has just under 10 times the population of Canada so even if you take that into consideration you have about 7 times more school shootings.

Why can't people acknowledge that loose gun control laws are at least a contributing factor to this?

11. nyscene911

nyscene911 Active Member

Saw that afterwards.

12. JetBlue

you tell me how an extremist who wants to go on a killing spree will simply do nothing just because he can't buy a gun legally and I will listen.

sure it was, because it is about his own personal political agenda, not the tragedy of children being murdered. gun control is one thing, but to say the country cares more about guns than children is sensational bullshit that has nothing to do with the issue other than to just make an emotional argument to further his agenda.

#32 JetBlue, Dec 14, 2012
  13. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

You just opened a giant can of worms bud.

14. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

Probably. For the record I didn't start the whole "gun control" conversation, was just contributing to it with my POV. I'm perfectly content keeping this thread to be specifically to discuss the events and honor the victims. Not trying to be politically motivated or anything, I just don't see how someone can see so many stories about people getting shot to death and not put two and two together.

Although I guess you could say the same thing about people who smoke who hear all the time about it killing so many people or obesity being a problem but someone still eating McDonalds five times a week. Not sure if it's stupidity, denial, apathy or an addiction of some kind. Either way I think it's something that needs to be addressed.

edit: Maybe it's just ignorant but every time I hear someone spouting pro-gun stuff I think of this

15. nyscene911

nyscene911 Active Member

Who cares. Police are saying he used a .223 rifle. THis is a .223. This is legal:
    [​IMG]

Can you tell me why the FUCK someone needs to have that gun?

16. Barcs

Barcs Banned

The problem is that gun control varies per state in America. In DC, NY and NJ it is very difficult to get a gun, but in states like Texas, Alabama, etc there's hardly any regulation at all. I'm curious, what in particular is stricter about Canada gun laws? I'm not very familiar, do they require psychological testing? That was one of the things I strongly support for getting a gun in America. It's impossible to tell the future and know exactly who is going to do what, when, but it could at least help in the fight to prevent psychos getting guns. But of course if a psychopath can't get a gun, who's to say he won't make a bomb ala Tim McVeigh?

#36 Barcs, Dec 14, 2012
  17. Br4d

The way you do that is to license guns in a way that most people can't get them. You reduce the overall number of guns dramatically by the simple expedient of changing the gauge of the ammo moving forward and not manufacturing the old ammo. You hand out appropriate sentences to people caught trafficking in illegal arms.

The US had 12,996 homicides last year, most of them shootings. The UK had 722 in a fifth of the population of the US. France had 682 in a fifth of the population of the US. Italy had 529. Spain had 390. What's the difference in the homicide rates? It's really hard to kill somebody casually on the street without a gun. It's really easy to do it with one.

18. Br4d

Because if you take away that gun then next you'll take away simple handguns and then the King's men will run wild. What with handguns being our only protection against big government at this point.

19. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I'm with you buddy. I think it's absurd.

20. JetBlue

make no mistake, I am not opposed to strict gun control. but the guns are only part of the problem. there is a significant cultural issue we have in this country, so if anyone wants to address the issues that instigated this tragedy, to simply pick out one of the issues and ignore the others is dishonest. address the entire problem.

we have a very significant culture of violence that needs to be addressed.