AFC Divisional Round Playoff CHAMPIONS... 2 years in a row

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by alleycat9, Dec 6, 2012.

?

Does it matter that we were AFC Divisional Round Playoff CHAMPIONS in 09 and 10

1. Yes

44 vote(s)
    29.7%
  2. No

70 vote(s)
    47.3%
  3. WTF is the AFC Divisional Round Playoff Championship?

34 vote(s)
    23.0%
  1. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Without those 2 years, this would've been everyone's last year...so IMO , it does matter..

2. What it means is the current administration IS CAPABLE of building a very successful group. Sustained success remains the issue. Tannenbaum/Rex can fix this..the question is..can they get this franchise over the top..and finally show up on the biggest stage?

They've also made some really stupid decisions since the lockout..this year is a real eye opener for them on what needs to change. They'll make the changes. But do do they deserve to? Is accountability that important? The more successful franchises in this league have stayed stable at the top. Stability is important & a revolving door can cause alot of issues in a NY media market.

This is all begs the question: What's more important? Accountability or stability?

3. New England Patriots

New England Patriots Well-Known Member

I believe he's mocking the people who constantly defend Sanchez/Ryan by using 2009/2010's playoff success as gold. While relative to Jets past success this was amazing, in the grand scheme of things 4 teams make this game each year (12.5%) so it wasn't anything extraordinary.

It was ridiculous when used to defend Sanchez but I think it's fair to give Ryan some slack because of this.

4. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

going to the playoffs is a must if u want to win a championship,,,but the object is to actually win a championship. I dont want to hang my hat on 2 appearances in a big game, whats next am I suppose to get all pumped up if we get to a Superbowl and LOSE IT ? It is about winning not we got close,,,,,,I was never a big fan of Marty Schottenheimer that guy was a very good coach in most peoples eyes,,,10 ,11,,,and 12 win seasons each year,,,but one and done in the playoffs each year also. Successful ? I guess but he never won squat,,,,,,I am sorry but 2 AFCC games were nice but for me that aint what its about, it's about winning. You build on games like those and get better sadly Sanchez and this organization as a whole has regressed since those 2 losses.

5. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I think it does matter. By establishing a ceiling I can plan my superbowl party menu around the AFC finals.

6. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

The playoff wins do matter. Rex has exceeded the ceiling set by all Jets coaches minus Weeb Ewbank, and so far his floor is (slightly as of today) higher than both Herm and Mangini.

If Rex gets fired at the end of the year he'll have been the most successful Jets coach of this generation.

It's likely the biggest selling point as to why he shouldn't be fired.

7. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I got the sarcasm, but the basic premise failed.

you can't be a champion of something when multiple teams also one won the same thing.

that is like saying the Jets were Champions of last week because they won last week. to do that you have to ignore that half the league also won last week, so there was no championship to award.

8. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

but rex was winning with another guys players. this is his team that we see today.

and you always hear about hte brash talkative ones firing everyone up at first but then they grow immune to it and it begins to become more of a problem than a positive. i am not sure if that is happening but we have ex players calling our decision makers idiots, we have coaches saying that they are being forced to play guys that they dont want to play we have the weekly catastrophe of leaks and rumors and outright shit talking in the locker room.

i dont know if rex can fix it at this point. i think he is too far gone. i am very confident that a team of rex and tanny CANT procure talent and that tanny needs to finally go away. which means in all probability rex will also.

9. alleycat9

that was exactly my point. we are hanging our hats on back to back afc champ game appearances which means we are hanging our hats on divisional round playoff wins... its not like we won some kind of championship, we got to a place that 3 other teams did that year.

what i want is for people to stop hanging there hat on those 2 losses as the reason why everything is ok today.

i just figured that if we all saw it for what it really is which is the divisional round playoff champions that maybe it would get through to those who are still holding onto it like it was a vlt.

10. JetBlue

exactly. only 3 other teams in the entire league were as successful as us. there is zero aspect of that that you can minimize with any merit whatsoever.

not only that, we did it twice in a row, so it wasn't a fluke.

sure, the main goal is to be the best in the league, but to be one of the four best is a tremendous accomplishment and something that indicates ability. it is that ability that people are claiming, not that it equates to winning a championship.

your problem with their argument isn't their argument, it is your strawman interpretation of it.

11. alleycat9

but why compare him to them? they are far far in the past. why not compare him to mike tomlin or belichick or someone else successful, why are we forced to compare him to jets coaches who sucked? yes i get it this franchise has sucked for most of my life... id like to see that change, but not just to getting into the playoffs half the time but to being dominant and winning divisions and getting home playoff games and maybe even a superbowl appearance.

ill give him that he is the most successful coach i have seen coach for the jets. that doesnt mean the things that are occurring arent happening.

12. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

Don't you mean Co-Champions with Indianapolis and Pittsburgh?

Still it has no meaning after two consecutive non-playoff seasons.

13. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I feel bad for those sad folks that can't look back fondly on those 2 great runs. To get to a SB you need to reach the title game first and anything can happen once there. The difference btw us losing in Pitt and NYG winning in SF last year was Sanchez's incredibly close play was ruled a fumble and Bradshaw's actual fumble was ruled no fumble. We had chances to get to the SB, I had a lot of fun on those runs. We truly have the worst fan base in all of sports.

14. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

I say doesn't matter but I'm seperating it "mattering" from it being "important." Which, to me at least, are two different things. It was important for the franchise and for fans to experience getting that far, to use as a building block to go to the next step. However, it doesn't matter with the current on field product because what happened then has no bearing on our abilities now and going forward.

Even if we had won the Super Bowl in either (or both!) of those years I would say it doesn't matter anymore, as far as their current on field play is considered. It's still important to the franchise and the fans from a historical point of view but past championships don't really have any impact on current play.

15. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

There's nothing wrong with looking back fondly on those years. There is something wrong with using those years as an excuse as to why we should accept mediocrity or worse today.

16. nyjunc

who is using it as an excuse? we are simply stating facts about how well the tam has done under Rex, we have yet to finish below .500 and nitwits want a regime change.

17. hoobash

hoobash Well-Known Member

What have you done for me lately? We should just be happy we won a super bowl 43 years ago

18. nyjunc

no one said to be satisfied but if the title game apps didn't give you guys any joy then you probably should find a new hobby.

19. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

Not winning the AFC Championship just made us the biggest losers in the AFC with a worst draft choice than the last place team. We need a Championship mentality like the Giants, Pats and Steelers. Champions or BUST!

20. JetBlue

not a single person has said they are okay with being mediocre the past couple of seasons simply because we had the joy of back to back AFCCG appearances.

people are saying that if Rex, or Sanchez or whoever were good enough to get us there before, they are good enough to get us there again. there are certainly flaws in that argument if you explore those appearances deeper (there is more validation for Rex's ability in them than Sanchez's), but the flaw isn't that it means people are satisfied with this year simply because of those years.