I'm Not Celebrating the Sanchez Benching

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dr.velociraptor, Dec 3, 2012.

1. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

Sanchez has been playing poorly and after 70 yards with 3 INTs and a sub 50% completion % he needed to sit down so I'm not playing Monday morning QB.

But in reality based on McElroy's scouting report I don't believe he will be a franchise leading QB, he'll make a nice living as a backup but probably isn't the man for us.

So if we're really moving away from Sanchez there's really nothing to celebrate, we're once again rutterless without a franchise QB and that's depressing. Sanchez being benched is anti-climactic, we cheered for it but now that it's here it's like "OK now what"? Management has lost all faith in him, he's done. And we're left with McElroy and Tebone...

#1 dr.velociraptor, Dec 3, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  2. RKO

RKO New Member

What we are left with is a guy that doesn't look like a mess out there and actually can manage the game, something Nacho has been failing at since last year. We know what we have in Nacho, we have yet to see what we have in Greg.

Play on.

3. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

And you got all that from 5 complete passes? You know Sanchez has lead TD drives too. Fact is McElroy lead a TD drive but it was all the running game. McElroy MAY be serviceable but based on his draft position, scouting report etc... he's probably just a career backup ala Kellen Clemens.

4. I Am The Stig

I Am The Stig Active Member

When you're a ground and pound team...or well supposedly...having a game manager behind the center is what you need.

5. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

You have to feel bad for a guy like Sanchez, he is a professional in every sense of the word, but it just seems that every since the beating in Baltimore he has just been a different, much more ineffective, quarterback.

If you looked at Brady's scouting report before '01, it wouldn't look too pretty either... I prefer to get some sample than to dismiss McElroy from a scouting report.

6. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

When was the last time the JETS looked like a "Ground N Pound" team?

Hint: they had a nasty defense and Alan Faneca and Damien Woody on the offensive line

7. NYJets82

NYJets82 New Member

I agree with everything in the OP except 'there's nothing to celebrate'. Not having a franchise QB really isn't that bad of a situation. Plenty of teams don't have franchise QBs. Our problem was that we didn't know we didn't have a franchise QB. Now we've admitted as much. We're moving forward.

8. TheGreenCantona

Do not get your logic, because you do not think Greg Mac is a franchise QB after 5 completed passes, you will continue with Sanchez rather than find out.
    I pressume you do agree that Sanchez is not the answer after 4 years.

9. DevTeam

DevTeam Well-Known Member

Exactly - the whole world now knows that we don't have a franchise QB... and the reality is that we haven't had one since Chad... and he was a flame out due to injuries. I'm surprised to say this, but it's pretty obvious that Sanchez's confidence is in the shitter. Reminds me of what happened to David Carr in Houston - obviously that was a lot worse in Houston but the circumstances really don't matter. The fact is that the guy just isn't seeing the field anymore... he doesn't sense pressure, he doesn't see open receivers, etc. etc.

10. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

Agreed

All this does is signal the beginning of a process to look for a new QB. I'm not hating on McElroy, he might be better then people think he is but it appears we will now be searching for a new starting QB this off season or next (depending on contract situations and money owed to Sanchez).

11. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

MclRoy has Russel Wilson like qualitys, I want to see what he can do,We already know what Sanchez can do.MclRoy lead that 8 minute drive and ran out the clock, he has great mobility within the pocket to scramble if nessescary, He also is fast and looks like he has a decent arm and he makes smart decisions. I want to see more MclRoy before we say he isn't a "franchise" QB

12. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

Bingo. A game manager who doesn't turn the ball over on a consistent basis.

13. Dirty6Sanchez

Dirty6Sanchez Well-Known Member

McElroy and Rex talked at length about improving Greg's arm strength, which was his only real weakness. Rex said something along the lines of, "I never thought you could improve arm strength like Greg has," and McElroy echoed that by saying his rookie injury was a "blessing in disguise" because he could focus soley on his arm strength in the offseason.

If he can push the ball down field, McElroy is a very smart QB.

14. DevTeam

DevTeam Well-Known Member

Woody Johnson isn't celebrating spending 40 million on this guy and having him play bottom tier caliber football. Now he's getting over 500k a game to sit on the bench (potentially)... Man that stings. Mike T has to go bye bye... someone has to take the fall for this and I choose him.

Sanchez has "career backup" written all over him.

15. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

I am
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#15 LeonNYJ, Dec 3, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  16. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

There's only a hand full of teams who have a "franchise" QB, the rest get by with average QB's. We have a below average QB making franchise money, the sooner we realize that the sooner we can fix it.

We can give an average QB 5-6 mil and have money to give him a solid receiving corps to throw to. You expect a 12mil QB to work with lesser receivers.

I'm happy he's out, I hope they keep him out. What ever he had, he's lost it.

17. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

ball faker. something Sanchez is either too lazy or too cool or too dumb to understand and achieve. misdirection and freezing the defense is key to our success.

18. laxin

laxin Active Member

McElroy is no where near Wilson in terms of arm talent and athleticism. Its not even close.

19. 46Defense

46Defense New Member

We're once again rutterless?

I don't know if you noticed but we've been rutterless with Sanchez for the last couple months.

20. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I said he had "qualitys" i didn't say he was as good,And lets see a full game first before we say what he is