The McElroy Offense

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by SuperBowl50, Dec 2, 2012.

1. SuperBowl50

SuperBowl50 Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but did anyone else notice that we almost instantly had an identity on offense as soon as he came in? It was as if suddenly, everyone knew who we were, that is, a running team.

As much as Rex has proclaimed this team to be a ground-and-pound team, it was as if nobody realized it until McElroy came in. It reminded me a lot of our 2009/2010 seasons when we ran down people's throats all game.

Anyway, here's what I see the new Jets offense starting to look like:

1. Run between the tackles and have lots of 2-TE sets. Obviously, this is because we have a very young QB, but this game showed that we can have success running the ball with a game-manager under center.

2. The only passes are going to be on play action and players should be pretty open. This is, of course, because we run a lot. I see lots of rollouts like the one we saw today with the occasional deep jump-balls.

3. Ironically, this makes wildcat plays make a whole lot more sense. No need to worry about "rhythm" since we're not passing that much anyway. This really can be Brad Smith 2.0 instead of the complete mess that the Tebow package was.

4. This leads to shorter games and a better rested defense, which in turn allows for more 3-and-outs and better field position making shorter fields. Expect more long field goals.

I don't know about you, but that's a heck of a lot better offense than what we've been running. I can see us running the table the rest of the way.

2. BIGREX

BIGREX Member

he looked ok :eek:hmy:if this team goes 9 n 7 be big questions asked why he was not put in earlier in season :eek:hmy:

3. jets4lyfah

jets4lyfah Banned

7 points in a half. comon man

4. SuperBowl50

SuperBowl50 Member

14, if greene doesn't kneel at the 1.

It feels like a different defense.

5. Brunell's Debt

Brunell's Debt New Member

To be fair, he basically led two touchdown drives.

Still, it's obvious that McElroy will run the same offense that he did in college: hand it it off and pick his spots on play action.

6. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

Put me in there, I can hand the ball off a bunch of times, too.

7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

so the same offense that made 2 afccg's and they went away from for 1.5 years is the same 1 they should use now to try and make a miracle run into another palyoff appearance?

interesting

8. I Am The Stig

I Am The Stig Active Member

lol it's not even that, he put up 14 pts in pretty much a little more than a quarter.

The thing I noticed with McElroy too is that he calls out to his linemen more than Sanchez does.

9. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Arizona is ranked 7th in the nfl in defense, They are a really good defense and Mclroy scored a TD on his first carrer drive ,now thats saying something to me,And he made that nice throw to Kerley witch eventually lead to Greene falling down before the endzone and Folk missed two field goals.The Jets defense deserves alot of credit for only giving up 6 points

10. NewYorkEveryThing

sorry about your boy sanchez. Now you need to change to irishjet. :beer:

11. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

It's almost like we should have never went away from it...

But yeah this strategy might work to get us to 8-8, 9-7, it's not gonna work when facing any upper echelon teams.

12. SuperBowl50

SuperBowl50 Member

that's what they said in 2009 against the chargers. 2010 against the colts and patriots. it's all dependent on how well you can run the same system and what sort of defense you have to be able to offset the other offense.

13. Borgata

Borgata Active Member

The thing with running that offense against the best teams is you have to have a perfect game and then you have to hope the opposing team makes some mistakes.

The chances of stringing together multiple games like that to win a Superbowl is near impossible. At some point in the run you gotta be able to win a game despite things not going perfectly and that's where you need a player, preferably the QB, to put the team on his back and get the win.

14. NYJets82

NYJets82 New Member

Jesus guys. It's no wonder we have melt downs on this board so often.

We just beat an awful team by one point, with a 7th round QB who now has 29 career passing yards, and we're talking about our identity on offense?

Here's our identity on offense: we suck. Benching Sanchez means we're one step closer to not sucking in the future, but don't get yourselves worked up into a frenzy. We're not a significantly better team than we were yesterday.

15. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

The thing is, we clearly had a dominant run game then. We don't now. And in 2010 against the Colts and Patriots, it was more of the defense not blitzing and the fron 3/4 creating pressure

16. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

If Mcelroy starts next week, as I hope he will, I really hope the Jets add some screens and swing passes into the mix. The key to those plays are accurate throws that hit the back in stride (something Sanchez couldn't do). A good screen game does worlds to slow down a pass rush.

17. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

I'm looking at it this was. McElroy came in the second half, scored one TD, had another TD drive that Greene purposely didn't score even thought he 100% could have gotten it. McElroy has no practice time logged with the starters and still did a ton better than Sanchez. I can't wait to see what he will do once he actually practices with the starters and gets into a rhythm with them.

18. SuperBowl50

SuperBowl50 Member

We drove for 2 TD's in 4 drives against the 7th ranked Defense in the league in about a quarter and a half. You might be a SOJ darksider, which you have a right to do, but I want to see the team do well and not just say everything sucks. Our offense has problems. No one will argue with that. But we just had a change in the most important position on the team. Does that not make you curious about how our team will change?

19. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

We would have beaten them by 8 if we weren't running out the clock.

Add to the fact that we missed two field goals (though I'm thankful we did in the long run).

20. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Greg McElroy is essentially a Chad Pennington...Groomed to be a game manager. Lets have him out there...Just disappointing he wasnt in early in the year