Norv Turner Signed as Browns OC

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by 101GangGreen101, Dec 1, 2012.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Chargers have been nothing short of a disappointment with Norv as their HC. More than likely he'll get fired this season and will look to take a coordinator job next year. Similar to Wade Phillips.

Let's admit it the Sparano thing hasn't quite worked out. Should the Jets look to replace him with Norv Turner? Bring in the QB coach along with Norv and rebuild this offense hopefully with a new GM also. The only reason why I wouldn't think it would work is because of that exchange of words between the two last season, Rex saying he would have a few rings with San Diego's roster.

The positives here though, it returns a familiar Air Coryell offense, similar to Schottenheimer's stupid hybrid bullshit offense whatever, but I'm sure less complex and Norv is a far better play-caller than Schottenheimer.

Sanchez given his contract situation will be here another year, so we can see how that works out get some more skill-players in the draft and maybe we can get this offense rolling. Next off-season grab a QB in the NEXT draft, not this upcoming one.

I think this could be a step in the right direction, credibility to the offense and with a new general manager (new guy outside of the conference) we can get this team back into the playoffs.

2. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

I would wholeheartedly approve of that, but I suspect Norv may not be that fond of Rex after last year's shenanigans.

3. Moonshine

Moonshine New Member

Let me say I think firing rex after two AFC championship games in his first two seasons, considering this team wasn't even knocking on contention's door for the past decade is blasphemy. Rex Ryan is an elite coach.

If you dont wanna rip me for that unpopular statement, you're gonna love this one.

If the terrible decision is made, of the inevitably available head coaches.... I like Andy Reid. He took terrible offenses deep into the playoffs 5 times. He made a so-so QB look HOF at points, his players love him, and I dont think he's"lost it". His situation is very similar to Jeff Fisher's was, he made a decent team look great, never took them over the top, lost control of the team, got fired. And he's doing very well in STL.

Another reason... He'd bring MV7 with him. Do not be confused by Vicks terrible year his already terrible O-lime collapsed. 4 INJURIES on a line that was already suspect going into the season. Really their only two sort of kind of good linemen, kelce and herremans, got season enders. You can argue that the injuries to Danny Watkins and King Dunlap were irrelevant due to the fact that they suck, but dude no team could sustain losing 4/5 linemen, and its not like the guys who were sitting on the bench were as good as their terrible starters.

MV7 can play, he should be the Jets QB next season. Is there a "who's next years QB thread anywhere? I wanna give this speech again.".

Rex Stays, Andy as o-coordinator if he'll take it, and Vick as QB. Thats my humble best case scenario. Go ahead rip it, dig in. I know you want to.

4. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

What do you think about right side or lack of right side (his blind side) of our offense line? And no McCoy or Desean Jackson to help Vick out?

5. NotSatoshiNakamoto

This would be a no brainer if you have the opportunity. Norv is an elite offensive coordinator.

6. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

This is the logical choice. But he will be a top OC candidate and will be in high demand.

7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

No way Andy Reid takes an offensive coordinator position. The minute he gets fired, San Diego will prob give Andy a call and offer him the HC gig. Norv I think has proven he can't coach a team, but he can surely be an offensive coordinator.

8. barkus

barkus Well-Known Member

This. Reid will not work under Rex the buffoon, that is for sure. Reid has been a. Head coach for well over 10yrs and with the exception of winning a SB has great success with a SB appearance and multiple championship game appearances with flawed QBs leading his teams.

Reid will be a HC next yr if wants to be. I think norv would be great, Rex would gladly hand over complete control of the offense over b/c he Is friggin clueless about the offense anyway.

9. Moonshine

Moonshine New Member

Let first thank you for addressing your concerns with my argument in a polite and respectful manner. On a NY sports board in a down year, that's like getting head from a mermaid.

First I think a great running back will be in NY next year. It should be a no-brained to Tann if he's still here. The one (maybe not, let me think that through, lol) explicit variable between Rex's first two years and last was an elitish RB to go along with Greene. If not in FA the draft for sure. I want Mingo in the first round, but RBs are not high commodities. Doug Martin was damn near a second round pick, LeShoure was a second round pick, McCoy was a second pick. I'd like to see us end up with Mingo and Andre Ellington in the 2013 draft and I think that's entirely possible given our record.

I mean, its an issue, no doubt. We simply have no offensive threats, Vick himself is an offensive threat, and God forbid we still have Greene as the bell cow, I believe Vick will make him better.

Take Washington as an example, no disrespect to Morris, but he really is nowhere near as good as his stats from what I've seen.

As far as the receivers, I think the Eagle's guys are dreadfully over-rated. Keeley basically is Maclin, and you could argue that he's a better version. Holmes > Avant. And I think once Hill gets it, really gets it, fundamentals, timing, rhythm, he'll be among the Julio Joneses and AJ Greens. I really do. Question is when will he get it.

A portion of our line is pretty bad, but Philly's line is terrible. Arguably the worst ever. Seriously, because of the onslaught of injuries (and as I mentioned the guys who got hurt, minus Kelce, weren't even good) this is a CFL offensive line we're talking about. They had to beg Jake Scott out of retirement just to fill a roster spot. Evan Mathis is still there hanging on too... But Dennis Kelly, King Dunlap, Dallas Reynolds, that other guy... I can't even remember his name.. They're not NFL players. Not backups. Not practice squad. No disrespect, but they're just not.

You can't really compare the jets online and the eagles fairly I think.

And you know, any QB that comes here... Whether it's Geno Smith, Alex Smith, Sanchez, Landry Jones, David Garrard... Whoever is going to have these problems.

I think Vick is the best equipped to deal with them.

10. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

This word, I do not think it means what you think it means.

11. Bill Belichdouche

Bill Belichdouche Well-Known Member

yes please

we want Nawv!!!!!!!!!

12. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

I would take him. but I think we stick with Sparano.

13. Brunell's Debt

Brunell's Debt New Member

If not SD, Reid will probably follow Joe Banner to Cleveland (poor Browns fans just can't catch a break.)

As for Norv, I'd happily take him over Sparano -- but I can't help but be concerned about how their offense fell off a cliff now that "toss it up to Vincent Jackson and hope for the best" is no longer an option.

14. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Just curious. Who replaces their OC after just 1 season? That's the silliest thing I've ever heard. You at least give him 2-3 to see how the team plays after they learn the system.

15. NotSatoshiNakamoto

When an elite offensive coordinator becomes available and your offense sucks you write him a blank check. That is if your goal is to win. What would be silly is to stick with a guy who has proven nothing when you have an opportunity to hire one of the best because you want to just give him 2-3 years to see what happens.

2-3 years is a career in the NFL.

16. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

I would love this and I was hoping it would happen before this season. One of the best offensive coaches in the league. To bring him in I'd tell him you can use our 1st round pick in the draft to pick a player you want as well as whatever money we have in FA will be spent on the O. I doubt he comes but it would be a huge improvement over Tony.

17. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

if the opportunity comes YES! Anyone but MORONo.

18. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

If Sparano is back next year I will puke. And I was all for his hiring.

19. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Not super high on Norv but he has a pretty decent track record. I mean w/ some elite Offensive personnel he has had he has succeeded.

That said, Sporano and Cavanaugh must GTF off this team and if that means a blank check for an OC w/a solid record as an OC fuggit, Sign me up!

20. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Shotty's friends tweeted that the reason he decided to quit as OC was because Sanchez limited the offense. If Sparano loses his job it will be because of Sanchez. Why would any credible OC come here with Sanchez still the QB? Having Sanchez as QBwill make any OC look bad.

Sanchez essentially possesses the worst traits of all QBs in football. Not only does he make mistakes like Tony Romo but when not making mistakes he cannot complete a pass unless his receiver is uncovered and the pocket is kept 100% clean. Essentially he is mistake prone but has no upside. He can only play well when he plays a defense like the Bills which sells out of the run, does not put pressure on Sanchez and leaves his receivers uncovered. But then I bet any junior college QB could be successful under those circumstances. He cannot read defense, cannot make line calls, cannot look art more than 1/3 of the field, panics when under pressure and runs blindly until something hits him and the list could just go on. There is no player in football that lowers the level of play of his teammates more than Sanchez.

There is no way another OC would want this job unless he is given a somewhat serviceable journeyman QB.

#20 Noam, Dec 1, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2012