Embarrassed to be a Jets Fan

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by tanknyc, Nov 22, 2012.

1. vonbonds

vonbonds Member

A very scary thought to think about because you are spot on. I remember hating Walton with every fiber of my being and then I look at what happened after his reign..not a whole hell of a lot.

2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Joe Walton inherited a SB favorite in 1983, a team that was in the title game the year before and wnet to back to back postseasons and had a young team. He wouldn't go back to postseason until '85 and would only win 1 postseason game. This is nothing like Rex.

3. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

two years too long, I think is a fair assessment. Of course some might say he should never have been HC, but we don't need to go that far.

4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Sounds a lot like Rex actually. Better served as a coordinator, he Inherited a contender, couldn't get it done, and destroyed that contender in time.

5. Big Blocker

Thank you. I have no affection for Coslet, or Carroll, either for that matter. But the Jets were a much better team when Walton became the HC than when he was fired. You can't blame all of the problems Coslet had on Coslet.

6. DbaJets

DbaJets New Member

This is the most entertaining this team has been in a long time though! Take my lead, stop being a fan of these dicks and watch the trainwreck. It's pretty amusing once you're not emotionally invested.

7. nyjunc

Rex inherited a team that was supposed to suck, w/ a future HOF QB and no Tom Brady to worry about we still couldn't make the playoffs in 2008. We had been to postseason once from '05-'08 and last won a playoff game in 2004. Combining 1986-2008 we won 4 playoff games, under rex in '09 & '10 we won 4 playoff games.

8. AarontheJet

AarontheJet Active Member

If you think Rex inherited a contender, you're a moron. Rex coached up underachievers into world beaters until talent level became to poor. Rex still has a chance to get 9 wins this season. He's one of the best coaches we've ever had.

9. onefanjet

onefanjet Well-Known Member

I'm not embarrassed at all to be a Jets Fan. My emotions lean more towards the frustration of what I perceive to be an organization problem. The frustration perpetuates as I see no desire to fix the problems 'behind closed doors'. But hey I,m an eternal optimist that clings to HOPE, that it'll get turned around. I've no guarantee, but I guarantee I have hope....:beer:

10. lakersmetsjets49ers

to my memory the 09 team was supposed to be average at best going into the season. i remember looking at the schedule seeing the first 5 games, with 3 of them on the road and new england and the 13-3 titans from the year before as the home games and thinking they could very well start 0-5 or 1-4 when considering how the 08 team ended so badly.

granted that team was average looking back though, finished 9-7 but got hot at the right time and almost turned it into a super bowl trip but up until the week 17 game against the bengals that team looked very average for the most part.

11. Big Blocker

Ever since I began driving, those times now and then when you have to slow down to get by a car wreck have always been an issue for me. Mostly I resent rubber neckers, slowing me down, and I see little profit in trying to look closely to see if there is something grisly going on.

But every once in awhile, you see something that is really strange, like one time I was on the FDR going north and we come to a dead stop for like twenty minutes, and finally move enough to get past the wreck, which was a BMW upside down right in the middle of the highway. WTF and how did that happen? Yeah, that got my attention alright.

The Jets right now are kind of like that BMW.

12. JET'S_my_name

JET'S_my_name Banned

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/11...the-jets-game-this-weekend-you-can-go-for-18/

Looking To Head To The Jets Game This Weekend? You Can Go For $18

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) - Who says that it costs an arm and a leg to attend an NFL game?

Well, it usually does, but that’s not the case for this weekend’s game at MetLife Stadium.

Gang Green, coming off an embarrassing defeat to the Patriots on Thanksgiving night, is hosting the lowly Cardinals on Sunday in their second-to-last home game of the season, barring an improbable run to the playoffs.

How much will it cost you, the fan, to attend this game?

As of Wednesday morning, tickets were selling for as low as $18 on StubHub, and 7,770 tickets were still available.

Gang Green sits at 4-7, tied for last place with the Buffalo Bills in the AFC East. In their 49-19 loss to the division-rival Patriots last week, New York allowed 35 points in the second quarter — including a span in which New England scored three touchdowns in 52 seconds.

Head coach Rex Ryan called the game a “nightmare” in his postgame press conference.

“I think everyone was shaking their heads, thinking, ‘How did that happen?’” cornerback Antonio Cromartie told the Associated Press.

Even superfan “Fireman Ed” has decided that enough is enough.

“I don’t even know what I believe right now the way we’ve been playing,” Cromartie told The Star-Ledger. “Five games left, anything can happen. My biggest thing right now is the one important game. Can’t worry about the playoffs right now. My main focus is worrying about what’s going on with Arizona.”

Cromartie might be focused on Arizona, but Jets fans are more focused on incompetence. After Ryan said earlier in the season that this year’s team might be his best ever, the Jets’ offense has been stagnant all season, and Mark Sanchez has regressed after leading the team to consecutive AFC title games in his first two seasons.

As many expected, his subpar performance has led to dissension amongst fans, many of whom want to see Tim Tebow take over as starting quarterback.

The Jets’ final home game of the season will be on December 23 when New York hosts the Chargers.

13. DbaJets

DbaJets New Member

I completely agree! I despise rubberneckers, but like you said, there are unique circumstances. I teach sports marketing, and I'm pretty excited to talk about this organization all semester under what not to do!

14. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Is this actually true? I think there are actually very few NY Jets (as opposed to Tebow) fans that want to see Tebow under centre, the vast majority (it seems to me) wish that he had never been signed.

15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Actually this happens in the world of last place schedules when the divisions the AFC East plays are weaker than the others, however the Jets have to earn that last place finish to lock in Cleveland, Jacksonville and KC next year (not sure which division the AFC East plays.)

Right now the Jets are ahead of the Bills in the standings, although a loss on the last day of the season would probably flip that.

None of this should suggest that I want the Jets to get that 4th place schedule. I want them to win every game they can this year.

Among other things it would really suck to have Jacksonville be the only team willing to give us a draft pick for Tebow and then to have to play him.

16. nyjunc

the place we end up only determines 2 games so it's really not that big of a deal. if we finish 2nd we play the 2nd place team from the South and West. we are playing all 4 from AFC North next year so Cle is already on the sched.

17. Br4d

The place we end up determines 12.5% of the schedule.

In this case last place means facing teams that have won a total of 3 games this season instead of facing teams that have won 7 games.

It means facing Blaine Gabbert/placeholder and Matt Cassell/placeholder instead of facing Jake Locker and Carson Palmer.

18. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Are the ideas of facing Jake Locker and Carson Palmer supposed to be worrisome or something?

19. nyjunc

opponents based on where we finish the last 4 years:

2008:
    we finished 3rd in 2007
    we faced Cincy & Ten. Tennessee would earn the #1 seed in the AFC
    Mia finished last: they faced Bal & Hou, Bal would reach title game
    Buf finished 2nd: Jax & Cle

so the 2nd place team faced the 2 easiest opps

2009:
    we finished 3rd in '08: we faced Cincy(won NFC North) & Oak
    NE finished 2nd: faced Den & Bal
    Mia finished 1st: SD & Pitt
    Buf finished last: Cle & KC

2010:
    we finished 2nd in '09: Hou & Den
    NE 1st: Ind & SD
    Mia 3rd: Ten & Oak
    Buf last: Jax & KC(KC won div)

2011:
    NYJ 2nd: Bal & Jax
    NE 1st: Pitt & Ind(stunk)
    Mia 3rd: Cle & Hou(div winner)
    Buf last: Cin & Ten

the only team it really has affected is NE b/c Indy was always in 1st and they had to face the Colts every year, for nearly every other division teams went up and down.

Teams get good and bad qucikly, this isn't like the old days pre expansion. 2 game is not a big deal and in many cases the 3rd and 4th place team has 2 teams as tough or tougher than the top 2 teams.

20. Br4d

It's certainly more worrisome than facing Blaine Gabbert or Matt Cassel.