Does Tebow give us a better shot of winning the second half of the season?

Discussion in 'Tebowmania' started by ouchy, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Concerned_Citizen

Concerned_Citizen New Member

Couple things there. I DO agree that if Sanchez can't handle the pressure of having the media sensation behind him... it just proves he's not your guy, and certainly no leader of a team. That;s what happened to Orton last year, and you'll find very few people who were fans of him in Denver.

However, are you certain Sanchez is the reason they are losing? I keep seeign people talk about the lousy offensive line and bad receivers. Some say they might even be worse than what Denver had last year. Debatable. But if that is the casem how can Sanchez be the only scapegoat here? ...and what makes people think a ground attack will be enough to start churning out wins? Maybe if the defense starts holding teams to 10, maybe, but if that were happening, the offense would be fine under Sanchez too.

2. Rex's Sweater Vest

Rex's Sweater Vest Active Member

Truth is, we simply do not know if he does. But how about we find out and let the guy start a game!? All we know is that putting Mark Sanchez out on the field has gotten us a 3-5 record, on pace for a 6-10 season. We are not making the playoffs, miracles not withstanding, so let's give Tebow a shot, and see what the real problem is. Is the real problem the people around Sanchez, or Sanchez himself? If Tebow comes in and plays better (and everyone around him plays better) than Sanchez, then the question is answered and it becomes somewhat clear that the main problem isn't the supporting cast. We gain nothing by letting Sanchez start another week.

3. NotSatoshiNakamoto

And like clockwork, this game is brought up.

Prior to that drive, here is what Tebows offense did:
    Turnover on downs
    FG
    Fumble
    PUNT
    PUNT
    PUNT
    PUNT
    PUNT
    PUNT
    PUNT
    PUNT

You're high if you think the Jets D is good enough to withstand that type of offensive output. I know, I know, Tebow inspires the defense.

4. Backup QB

Backup QB Active Member

It is never one guy's fault.

5. Backup QB

Backup QB Active Member

So before he won the game they punted a lot. So what? They won the game right? He led the drive, right?

6. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Tebow played great on that drive and got the job done. The circumstances that led to him having that opportunity after not getting anything done all game are very, very rare in the NFL. Especially in today's NFL.

These are the types of situations you guys hang your hats on.

7. catfish

catfish New Member

eh the turnover on downs was a pretty decent drive, and he had 0 turnovers. So you could argue while he didn't do a whole lot except for the one drinve, he didn't hurt his team either by giving away points or posessions

8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

huh? isn't a turnover on downs just that - - a turnover?

9. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Cool. So all you needed was the defense and special teams to play perfect ball and you have a shot at the end. Sounds like a winning strategy. I mean the Jets have been doing that all year, right?

10. catfish

catfish New Member

when you drive it from your own 20 to the opponents 20, get to 4th and one and hand it to your rb who gets stuffed at the line it is tough to pin the blame on the QB, they should have just kicked the FG

11. catfish

catfish New Member

when you are a team running 65% run to 35% pass, that is exactly what you are doing. it is one of 2 ways of handling a QB starting his first games.

There are 2 schools of thought, the first is put him in and let him screw up and learn fast throwing 40 times a game so that he gets better down the road, the second is put him in and let the run game and D carry him and just hope he doesnt screw it up.

Defensive minded guys usually go the don't screw it up route, which is what happened with both Tebow and Sanchez, the hope is as they get more NFL experience you can transition more and more of the offensive responsibility to them. Which is why the JEts are having issues now, they are in the transition phase, but Sanchez isn't stepping up, although the cast around him doesn't help

12. Bannon

Bannon New Member

And the additional fact that gets ignored is that Tebow led the NFL last year in air yards per completion -- he was precisely the kind of quarterback for this approach to work with, because he's pretty good at throwing it for chunks of 25+ yards. So you pound the ball and throw it over the top.

This is not just excuse-making or internet arguing -- I genuinely believe that McCoy did a bad job at play-calling last year, and with in-game adjustments based on what the defense was doing. Had it not been his first year play-calling (or if he was just better at it), the Broncos could have been even better with Tebow last year. There were some real flashes. And I think he put it together pretty well against Pittsburgh (McCoy).

13. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Let's get this straight right now. Sanchez is playing like ass, but there's no way in hell that retard strategy would work with this Jets team. Tebow would get boo'd out of the meadowlands just like Sanchez is.

The Jets had a blocked punt for a TD, a blocked FG and a surprise onsides kick recovered against them last week. Plug that into your 2011 Jets/Broncos game you guys like to bring up and tell me how that works out.

When the Jets defense has dominated they have won. Tebow doesn't help in games where the entire team sucks.

14. catfish

catfish New Member

see here is the problem you are trying to compare 1 QB's first 16 start to another QB's 50th start. There are different expectations at different part of careers, take the WR Hill as an example, he struggles running routes, and has questionable hands ATM, however it is his first year, there are growing pains to be expected, this year he basically gets a pass from anyone who isn't an idiot. Next year he will get less slack, and if he is still haveing the same troubles in his 3rd year he still is having the same issues he will probably be gone.

I would expect Tebow to struggle in this offense for the same reasons Sanchez is struggling, the difference being Tebow will be starting his 17th game, so he should be expected to make some boneheaded plays, Sanchez has way too much NFL game experience to be having the problems that he is having, to an extent they are a result of the pieces around him, and actually does ok when he is not being pressured, but he still is really bad when under pressure.

For the record I don't want Tebow to start this year, I don't think the record would be any different if he had started from game 1 and I think a full year to get his mechanics right is what the doctor ordered. If he doesn't start a down in NY I won't shed a tear, but with what Sanchez is being paid he should be much better than he is

last yearTebow did what he was asked to do, don't turn the ball over to allow the D to keep it close, win the game in the 4th if the game was in reach. As long as they were able to stick to the plan it worked fine, when they got behind big they were screwed.

15. catfish

catfish New Member

ehhh i dunno about put it together at the end, Pit bought in to the "he can't throw" BS a little to heavily, even a shitty NFL QB is still a pretty damn good QB and I think they forgot that. Denver has had problems scoring in the first half with Peyton Manning as the QB(until the NO game), so I would say playcalling is still an issue

16. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I'm not really comparing them other than to say Tebow wouldn't help the Jets win. He blows, but that's not a comparison to Sanchez other than he blows more than Sanchez does.

Tebow had 19 turnovers in 11 starts last year. That's not exactly "not turning the ball over".

17. Concerned_Citizen

Concerned_Citizen New Member

Then why is he the only guy people wanna bench. I still think Sanchez is one of the better players on the offense.

Tebow's abilities at QB are suspect at best. So why not have him line up next to Sanchez threatening to get many direct snaps and utilize Tebow's abilities on stuff we KNOW he's actually good at.

Just seems counter productive to switch out one of the better players for a guy who is suspect at that position, simply because he runs better and has some mythical abilities of getting the best out of players. (Which I think is overplayed.)

Also, how well suited is the Jets team for run run running the ball most of the time. Cuz that is what you're gonna have to do with a Tebow led offense.

18. phaytal

phaytal New Member

He had 12 turnovers. The extra 7 you are counting are the 7 out of 13 fumbles that the Broncos recovered. It's still pretty bad.

19. Bannon

Bannon New Member

Because you look at each player individually, and ask "is there someone on the bench who could help instead?"

The analysis is not "where can I find one guy who has all of the fault?"

Like, if there was a receiver on the bench that I thought could help, I'd say play him. Doesn't mean the losses have been all his fault. If there was a lineman I thought could block better, I'd say play him. Doesn't mean it's all some lineman's fault.

I guess the thing that people are finding hard to believe is this -- Sanchez is not very good. He's not going to be a big time quarterback in this league. So once you come to that conclusion, it's a small leap to "why not give the guy a shot who's had very little chance to develop?"

20. Potzer

Potzer New Member

Nor does Sanchez currently. What's the point of this statement?