Rex standing up for sanchez in the post game press conferencee

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jets4lyfah, Oct 28, 2012.

1. CowboysFan

CowboysFan Banned

Why potentially destroy him throwing him in there with a coaching staff that does not believe him 100% ?

2. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

And then being labeled as the coaches that ruined Tebow

3. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Are you saying Tebow shouldn't be sacrificed for the sins of Jets fans?

4. CowboysFan

CowboysFan Banned

LOL I think I'm saying that not even the mighty Tebow can fix this .

5. displacedfan

Ah so you're coming around to my pessimistic view of this team is bad and we don't have fixes on the team. :beer:

6. TheGreenCantona

The situation for Jets are extremely complicated, and if you were the owner I am convinced that you would sack everyone but Rex as suggested by some. That would only scew the accountability, it is not Sparanos fault that we have the people we have on the field at the moment.
    It is obvious that poor drafting is the true problem here, landing with 2 choices:
    (1) give tanny and rex another chance fully aware that it will take them 3 years to rectify the mistakes, with the risk that they have not learned from passed misstakes as they were never the right people in the first place
    (2) install a new GM (and inevitably a new HC and ineavitably a new QB etc etc) now fully aware that it will take 3 years to rectify Tannys and Rexs mistakes, with the risk of hiring the wrong people again

I am leaning to the latter, i have no trust in that Tanny and Rex are right for this franchise (or any franchise for that matter). To have trust you must have a report with stakeholders and communicate a plan/vision/model that we can buy into. Rex is doing everything on half volley, he is making up things as he goes.
    (Quite symptomatic that Jets had the best practise ever this week, just football romantic bs that he always feed us with)

7. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

If Rex is this stupid, he can go, too.

8. John Chisum

John Chisum Banned

I don't want that to happen because I'm a fan. It could potentially happen.

9. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

its not so much we dont have fixes, its that we have/are waiting to long to implement them. you can have a ton of tools and materials to repair a leak, but once the boat is half sunk, its rendered moot.

had we made a qb change earlier, coaching adjustments early, etc we might be at 4-4 or 5-3. even now, if we made some changes we might be able to make a bronocos-esque run and finish with 8 or 9 wins. (unlikely as it may be)

either way, there is ZERO excuse right now for not making changes. you are losing, its the ultimate reason to make a change, and furhtermore get away with making them as a decision maker for this franchise. we suck, what are we gonna do, suck more?

10. Bill Belichdouche

Bill Belichdouche Well-Known Member

Wonder what Rex will have to say to the media about sanchez after he gets fired

11. displacedfan

Again, it all depends what happens if you make that change as a coach. You make that change and you still suck, you probably see the door. You ride out the bad player, you have a scapegoat, an excuse, a reason whatever it might be to buy you time and probably a new QB on your roster. If you make the change and make the playoffs, yes you save yourself, but right now playoff odds are what 20% even if the whole team was healthy

That's how I see Woody looking at it. We do bad with both Sanchez/Tebow, what's the easiest way to get headlines? New coach, new GM, new direction. We lose with Sanchez, what's the easist way to get headlines? Draft a QB and say Tebow is in the competition. (and hopefully shuffle up our GM/talent department)

12. JFjets

JFjets New Member

You mean like when he came into the San Diego game after halftime last year? With coaches who didn't believe him in him 100%. Seems like he handled that okay.

13. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

in general, yes, thats how it works, however this isnt a general situation. if you stay with mark, and suck, while having tebow a guy who turned around denver last year in nearly the same situation, there is a huge criticism to behad there. further, this is 2 straight years of bad football, this is year 4 of sanchez/rex. im not sure either can pin it on the other. if sanchez plays all year and we miss the playoffs, i cant see either keeping their job

14. Ted

Ted Member

If they make the change, they will be eating close to 6 mil in dead space next year. That and seeing flashes of Sanchez being able to manage a game make the decision that much more difficult.

How they did not see this possibility playing out when they traded for Tebow is a strong indicator to me that they are just making it up as they go.

15. displacedfan

See I can see Rex staying and Sanchez/Tanny under the bus. If Tebow and Sanchez fail, I see everyone gone. I think Rex has more options to keep his job if Sanchez stays. Tanny didn't provide us the right pieces around Sanchez or Tebow, the Sanchez pick was forced on me, let me choose a new QB this draft, Tanny gutted this team through the draft, Tebow will get a full offseason as a legitimate starting QB threat (Woody if rumors are correct, would LOVE this), etc etc. If Sanchez and Tebow goes down, I think that sends everyone out the door.

It's not really my dislike/like for Sanchez/Tebow that makes we want to just plug away with Sanchez. It's my like for Rex and belief he can be a SB winning coach here and if he leaves he will one elsewhere

16. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

One problem with that scenario, it was mostly Mark and the offense sucking, the defense is starting to suck and yesterday ST sucked. We've always had the best ST's, how many points and yards have they given up in the last two weeks? The cancer on offense is spreading throughout the team...

Rex could maybe survive as long as other aspects of the team look good... they don't.

17. displacedfan

Well they did sign a backup QB in Stanton then trade for Tebow making him the backup having 4 QBs on their roster. They extended Sanchez year, but got a backup in Stanton. They then traded for a starting QB last year so they extended a starting QB and traded for one. That was probably the start of them showing they aren't sure what they were doing or that a certain Tebow was pushed onto them from a certain someone

18. displacedfan

That is a fair point. The ST has dropped, although I think every coach we have has let Westhoff do his thing there so I place that on Westhoff.

Defense played good yesterday. Not great. Gave us the fumble and numerous stops to get back in it. The backbreaker was the Hill drop in the EZ to cut it to 20-7 and then after getting a FG to start the second half, letting them score 7. Defense also played well not great against NE. They gave up 17 points to NE and Brady in Foxboro.

I think Rex could slide by. He has excuses of Revis/Sione etc on defense too. Once you play both QBs and neither does well, I think that shows to the owner the team itself is bad (but not far off) and an overhaul needs to be made.

None of us can get into Woody's mind though so we will never know unless Sanchez rides it out. U/nfortunately we don't have an alternate reality where the Jets start Tebow/McElroy or the Jets draft Peyton Manning....

19. TheGreenCantona

Tanny/(and less so Rex) had an outspoken strategy to trade up and draft high for a few but good stars then fill the rest of the rooster with cheap but solid talent that Rex was supposed to find and coach up.
    On top of that tainted talents such as Holmes, Plaxico etc were another source of underpriced players that their strategy relies on.

This has not worked because neither Sanchez, Green, Conner, Wilson (not traded up for) did work out.

They either have to change and get another stab at it with a new approach or leave.

Rex i am not sure has the full picture of running a franchise, he is just too anecdotal in his approach, such as loving Conner FB and pick him in the 3rd round. Moving or embarrassing to hear him explain it, neither of the two is something that lends credibility to a HC.

20. benhamean

benhamean Member

Rex had a sheen to his eyes in the press conference yesterday, too- my wife thought he was going to cry. I thought he was going to blow his top.