How far are the Jets from contending for a SB?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jetfan1987, Oct 24, 2012.

1. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

Any team that makes the playoffs has a chance. Look at our 2009 Jets team, we backed into the playoffs and were winning the AFC Championship until halftime.

Look at the Arizona Cardinals team a couple of years ago. They won their division at 9-7 and were a Warner pick at the goal line away from winning one. The Giants just did it last year!!!

If you want to talk about being favorites, that is a different story. I look at it this way.

QB- If Sanchez plays like he has of late, we'll be fine, but in the case he starts shitting the bed again, this is the most important position. If Mark can't do it, then being a favorite will be out of the question with a rookie or one-year filler.

RB- We need a premiere back. Greene is a great compliment, but I don't trust his streakiness as a starter.

WR- This looks like it is set for years to come. Kerley has really stepped his shit up and Hill is only going to get better. Hopefully Holmes becomes less of a douche and cam help out. Schilens is a very solid #4.

TE- Keller is a much more important and bigger part of this offense than people give him credit for. If he had someone like Brees throwing to him, he would be a household name. We should add a blocking TE, maybe Reuland is ok?

OL- Going to need work with Brandon Moore getting up there in age and Slauson has taken a big step back. Howard has played very well and I believe he has solidified his name in the starting lineup.

DL- This is probably going to be the most exciting part of this team for years to come. Nothing more to say here.

LB- Harris and Davis should be fine, but after that Scott is old, slow and Mauga will be coming off an injury. Maybe Dowtin can step up? We need a complete overhaul in the OLB department. We shouldn't have let Westerman go, he was good depth and a solid starter when needed.

CB- As long as this unit stays intact, we should be just fine. Isiah Trufant and Ellis Lankster have been very impressive, IMO.

S- Landry needs to be back and Bell should be back one more year. Bush and Allen are young and promising. We'll see how they continue as the season goes on.

2. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

3. BJXX

BJXX New Member

I agree. My original post was an observation more than anything. The last 9 SuperBowl winners being:

2004 Patriots
    2005 Patriots
    2006 Steelers
    2007 Colts
    2008 Giants
    2009 Steelers
    2010 Saints
    2011 Packers
    2012 Giants

All of them with big time QB and receivers. And you're right, all of these are experienced game managers as well as great QB's. Any team with a great defense would theoretically have a chance, but the teams with the big passing attacks, or at least the threat of it, have dominated the SB.

4. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

All the teams you listed were balanced teams when they won. There's a reason Peyton struggled his whole career in the playoffs without a consistent run game or defense. There's a reason Drew Brees has only won 1 playoff game the last two years. (thats one less than Sanchez and the Jets). There's a reason Rodgers has all his playoff wins in one run with that run game an defense. There's a reason the Giants won their two Super Bowls with 21 and 17 points against a top 5 offense and QB. There's a reason Tom Brady hasn't won a Super Bowl in 8 years, because the team is all him, not a team.

The key in the end is a balanced team. That's what the Giants/Steelers were in their first run with their respective average QBs at the time. That's what the PAtriots and Bucs did in 01 and 02. That's what Peyton did, playing one GREAT game and 3 average to below average games but won his SB.

Each run had a game where a QB had to have a marvelous game, don't get me wrong. But each run also is dotted with games where the QB could hand the ball off or settle for a punt and be safe. In a QB league, it still takes a team effort to win in the playoffs. Regular season success seems to be a lot easier for top tier QBs, but playoff success seems to be harder when they are the focal point of the team.

5. JUNJOBX2199

JUNJOBX2199 New Member

Train of thought # 1 : The Jets will continue to break My heart for the remainder of my life.

Train of thought # 2 : I was At an AFC Championship once and we made it to two more in my life time , so yeah Its possible in the next few years.

Train of thought # 3 : I have seen the Giants look worse then us and then Catch fire and be unstoppable , so Its even Possible with the team we have now. I have always said we would win it all in some dramatic impossible way , so Nothing would surprise me.

Typical Jets shit!:jets:

6. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Get into the tournament, anything can happen. I trust RR game planning in the playoffs.

7. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

They need a pash rusher badly in order to complete. This Sunday alone without Po'uha or Kenrick Ellis in the lineup, New England was able to double Mo Wilk and Coples the whole game. I think that when one of them comes back Coples will be able to rush the pasher on talent alone. Coples has a sick move inside that defenders will start overcompensating for and he will then be able to edge rush.

If Mark plays as he did Sunday, and/or is able to remove the 4/5 boneheaded plays a game that he makes as a player, I think they have a very good chance to make the tournament. As a Siena student I know that once your in the tournament anybody can win (yes I know its not the NCAA Tournament) but it is the same thing.

#47 SienaSaints, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  8. Nilton

Nilton Active Member

3-4 years from being really good again. This year is wide open and who knows.

But we need LB's. A safety, A LB, A LB, A LB...........uh a LB and some tackles. Oh and maybe a pass rusher.

And hopefully Hill developes into a Hakeen Nicks or Plaxico type player.

9. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

with the current gm, head of player personnel, and sporano, sutton, and cavanaugh around: light years away.....:eek:hmy:

10. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Tend to agree. The Jets have some good pieces in place. Jets need to revamp OLB and get another RB, but there are some good core pieces in place.

And Sanchez of course is the X-factor. If he doesn't improve, it won't matter that much. But he's playing better now. It's interesting watching him with all the young players, now he's free to really be a leader. The young guys seem to have some ability at receiver, they just need to gain consistency. So does Sanchez.

If Hill, Coples and Davis become what we hope they can, the Jets filled some of their bigger needs. Outside linebacker and running back obviously are the glaring ones, but who knows, maybe some of the young backs can play.

11. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Actually I don't think the Jets will win a SB as long as Woody is the owner.

12. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Just curious. Why do you think that? Woody doesn't make personnel decisions, coach the team or play on the field. He's just the owner. He works the business side of things. If you want to blame him for hiring Tanny, okay maybe, but then it's really Tanny that would need to go, not Woody, right?

13. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

In presenting my case Exhibit A would be the Tebow trade.

Woody was behind that.

Exhibit B would be that Tanny reports to Woody, and has for over six years now.

I think I can rest my case at that point.

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

They really don't have many though. I look across the roster and I see about a half dozen guys that are good enough to be a part of the reason the Jets got to the big game and won it. That's just not enough. There's no critical mass for the Jets and the last time that critical mass existed was at the start of 2010.

Since then the Jets have lost Kris Jenkins, Shaun Ellis, Damien Woody, Braylon Edwards, Jerrico Cotchery, LaDainian Tomlinson and Tony Richardson.

Those were all key veterans and plus players for the team.

They've suffered real talent declines from Brandon Moore, Bart Scott, Bryan Thomas and Calvin Pace.

Young players like Mark Sanchez, Matt Slauson, Mike Devito and Kyle Wilson have not become impact players over that span.

You cannot win a Super Bowl with a couple of good young defensive linemen a stacked defensive backfield and a great center and slot receiver. It just doesn't work that way.

People who see the Jets glass as half full need to understand that it's tilted to pour right now and as much is coming out of it each year as going in, which is why the Jets are 12-12 in the regular season since Damien Woody went down as opposed to 18-11 in the 29 games before that under Rex.

#54 Br4d, Oct 25, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  15. FakeSpikeLOL

FakeSpikeLOL New Member

Several years. The Jets are on the decline when I compare them to a few years ago. They have a few big things going against them: a below-average QB who probably won't be the starter after this year or next; an aging team; not much cap space; little depth. I see the Jets blowing things up and starting over within 2 or 3 years...and I'm not even trying to be a troll...I'm dead serious.

16. Barcs

Barcs Banned

You're damning a guy to never win a superbowl because of one trade? Is there any evidence that Woody was actually behind it beyond circumstantial speculation? We were a few plays away from the superbowl a couple years back under Woody. Are you trying to say that Woody just dictates to Tanny how to run the team and doesn't have any input on the matter?

If you fault Woody for the Tebow trade, then you should be praising him for bringing in Landry, Cromartie, Revis, Mangold and Ferguson. To me that's all GM stuff. Woody may oversee everything, but I doubt he'd over ride a coach's decision on something, for example Tebow or rolling with Austin Howard.

17. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

Pretty friggin' far. I mean, no one says they can't get hot like the Giants did last year, or Green Bay the year before, but to 'contend' meaning be consitent enough to be expected to do so............long way off my man.

18. ShadeTree#55

ShadeTree#55 Active Member

When is Halley's comet set to return?

19. The 2009/2010 group which was stacked..got old. What do you expect? Kris Jenkins,Damien Woody,Alan Faneca, Thomas Jones & Tony Richardson are not easy guys to replace. If that is your standard for the Jets roster moving forward more power to ya. Nothing wrong w/ aiming high. But you're gonna be disappointed in most years. That was a RARE group. They had arguably the best O-line we've seen in the last 10 years...3 very good WRs, A pro bowl RB/FB combo, a stacked LB corps & of course a freakish CB duo.

Frankly I don't think the Jets have done a horrible job filling those holes. Those players were just all pro bowlers & we know those type of guys don't grow on trees. I see plenty of Young players w/ the arrow still pointing up as well as plus players still in their prime. Mangold,Brick, Kerley, Keller, Hill,Revis,Cromartie,Wilkerson,Coples,Ellis, Davis,Ducasse,Wilson the 2 kids at safety...Just b/c they aren't the same pro bowler types that their predecessors were doesn't mean they won't get better or that you can't win with them.

Why do you have the foresight to peg old players as done or shoot down a young player's potential but can't see that when Pace, Scott, Slauson & Moore come off the books, the Jets will have the ability to bring in some younger talent?

They bring in some speed at LB and those 2 DL-Men and that stacked back end will be arguably the best starting unit in football. Constructed over 4 years time..mainly through the draft. If that isn't pointing these team in a positive direction I don't know what is.

20. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Jet's will probably draft linebackers in 2013. A lot of young players are developing right now so the Jets should be strong next year. Add some linebackers and they'll be very strong. 1 or 2 years away.